Lotus Europa Forums > The Paddock

Lotus Europa 16V Gordini

<< < (2/45) > >>

StephenH:

--- Quote from: Mecky on Saturday,March 14, 2020, 12:40:34 PM ---I am going to race in Belcar Historic Cup. The regulations offer much more space for modifications and the Europa can race against matching competitors.
--- End quote ---

That sounds like more fun, closer competition among more equal cars hopefully.

--- Quote from: Mecky on Saturday,March 14, 2020, 12:40:34 PM ---But before that, there are many other issues to solve. Cooling is the first one. I am planning on installing a new aluminium radiator and an electric water pump.
--- End quote ---

Interested how you go with improved cooling Stefan and with the electric pump conversion.
My old engine never had cooling issues (once I learn't how to bleed the system properly) with the aluminium radiator in the original position and ducted, but the rebuilt engine (making a bit more power) struggles in warmer weather on track.
Recently we were running a sprint event in full sun and about 35-37degC, towards the end of the last couple of sessions (each of 20 minutes) I had to drop the RPM as the water and cylinder head temperatures started rising higher than I like to see. Oil temperature was also increasing but I haven't any ducting on the oil cooler so that was expected.

Mecky:
First of all: the stock water pump is rubbish. I have learned a lot about the design of fluid pumps in university and the impeller shows almost none of the beneficial design features, we learned about. It's completely rudimental and doen't show any intention of reaching a sophisticated level of performance. It was intended for 55 or 65 HP in road use. Three times the power output (or more) in racing environment requires a much higher cooling performance, of course.

In my case, an additional issue is that we had a small leak in the radiator at the last race. We used liquid sealant, because we didn't want to miss the race. But that means that water channels inside the engine and radiator can get pluged by the sealant. This reduced the cooling performance in addition. The consequence at my latest drive to an oldtimer meeting in 2018: Water Temp. higher than 95°C and oil temp below 50°C, because of the very low reving driving on the road. Even at the last race, we had to drop the RPM and "lift and coast" into many corners to keep the temperature below 100°C. As far as I know, the max. pressure (before blowing off) inside the cooling circuit allows water temperatures up to 110-115°C (before boiling), but the car had to survive four hours, thus we didn't risk too much.

All this is too much of a compromise and has nothing to do with racing. This is just carrying my fuel around a circuit. I don't want to waste any more money for that.
That's why I'm going to replace the crucial parts of the cooling circuit as the first important upgrade before the car goes on a track for the next time.

jbcollier:
The pump is otherwise sound in design, I wonder if there is an alternate impeller that would fit.

TurboFource:
Couldn't a new impeller be designed and be machined on a CNC mill?

4129R:
If you cannot improve the pump, can you improve the cooling so the water returns to the pump cooler?

I was thinking of a bigger radiator, a more efficient radiator, increased airflow from the cooling fan, or even an additional radiator fitted in the left side wheel well with an additional opening made into the wheel well.

Make sure there are no restrictions to air entering the front grill.

There must be more ways to cool your engine if you cannot improve the pump.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version