Lotus Europa Forums > The Paddock

Lotus Europa 16V Gordini

(1/43) > >>

Mecky:
Hi guys,

I just wanted to tell you a little bit about my future plans for racing in 2020 and beyond.
FIA Appendix K can kiss my ass. I am going to race in Belcar Historic Cup. The regulations offer much more space for modifications and the Europa can race against matching competitors. GT cars with 1600 cc. I am really looking forward to it. First of all I will start with the old FIA config, but then upgrade the car step by step. The holy grale would be to fit a 16V Gordini head to the engine, like on this Alpine A110. https://www.renault-alpine-a110.de/autos/renault-alpine-a110-1800-16v-gruppe-5/

But before that, there are many other issues to solve. Cooling is the first one. I am planning on installing a new aluminium radiator and an electric water pump. The stock Renault 16 pump is just a bad joke. Later I would like to upgrade the brakes, gearbox and engine. I will keep you posted.  :ttiwwp:

Regards
Stefan

jbcollier:
Is that head available?

Gulp, how much?

Mecky:
I don't know about the availability. I already read that original 16V heads from Gordini made in the 70s are very rare. But maybe there is some kind of replica of the original gordini heads manufactured in a higher quantity. I don't want to have an original head, but one with 16 valves fitting the 807 block.

--- Quote --- This Renault Gordini engine, developed by the engineers at Viry-Châtillon (whereas Gordini, a brilliant preparer of race cars, was not a trained engineer) was also based on the 807 block from the R16 TS which had already taken Alpine to victory in the 1973 World Rally Championship. It had a dummy lateral cam and chain-driven twin overhead cams. The engine had a capacity of 1774cc, with an 82mm bore and 84mm stroke. It weighed just 100kg and peak power of 200bhp at 8000rpm was claimed, with maximum torque of 19.5 at 6500 rpm and a high compression ratio of 11.8:1.
Only four works 4-cylinder A310s and a single A110 (no. 20503) were originally fitted with the engine. Although reference is made to a hundred or so heads produced for homologation, it is certain that very few complete engines were assembled, perhaps 20 at most. Alpine only had 7 engines for its competition department!
--- End quote ---

But the engine issue is something for the years after 2021. I think the very first new part for the Lotus will be a (probably) Europa Special-type front spoiler to get a little bit more grip on the front tyres, especially under braking. The spoiler from the Jensen competition manual would also be practical, but it's f***ing ugly.

BDA:
Hey Mecky! I haven't heard from you in a while! I hope you can find a 16 valve head for your car. I'd love to see how your plans come together!

Mecky:
The 16V head is a plan for 2022, if it's available somewhere for a reasonable price. Before that, we have to get the car back on track. The good thing about corona-panic: I will have much more time and can start the preparation of the race car earlier in the year. Maybe it will start in March already :pirate:

For 2020 the focus is on preparing the car to be reliable and test it. If I am going to race in 2020, I'm not sure. But there will definetely be track time soon. Circuit Zolder offers good possibilities for testing on track.

The old FIA spec with 160 HP and 700 kg is a nice basis for the start of an evolution to a real race car :deadhorse:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version