Author Topic: Lotus Europa 16V Gordini  (Read 30138 times)

Offline jbcollier

Re: Lotus Europa 16V Gordini
« Reply #225 on: Wednesday,May 22, 2024, 06:31:36 AM »
Congratulations!

Offline BDA

« Reply #226 on: Wednesday,May 22, 2024, 07:17:15 AM »
That other guy should be disqualified! That is outrageous!

As for your driving, dicing with a car with three times the power says plenty about your driving!

Offline SwiftDB4

« Reply #227 on: Wednesday,May 22, 2024, 08:40:45 AM »
Looking good Mecky! Nice save at that one corner.

Offline GavinT

« Reply #228 on: Thursday,May 23, 2024, 09:09:04 AM »
Pretty good, Mecky.  8)

How does the new diff and gearbox feel?

Offline Mecky

• Lotus Europa Racing
« Reply #229 on: Today at 12:00:54 AM »
Hi guys,

thank you for your kind words.

I'm in contact with the organizers of my racing series regarding that illegal tyre issue. The matter was brought to the person responsible for the technical regulations and now I'm waiting for a feedback from this person. I guess (and also hope), after that the person in charge of sporting regulations has to decide for a penalty. As the race result is already official and I have not launched an official protest (which requires to deposit a few thousand Euros out front), the penalty could only be championship-related. From my point of view, a points deduction would be correct.
The opponent used illegal tyres in qualifying and race 2. In race 1, he used rain tyres, which is OK. After qualifying, I just talked to the driver, who was using the tyres illegally, and he said: "I made my own rules now." I did complain to the technical scutineer before race 2 in pre-start area, so what happened in qualifying is difficult to police, I guess. But the infringement in race 2 was known to the scrutineer before the race and he has seen it with his own eyes. Thus, the points from this race could be deducted legitimately.
And as our points system only counts the 8 best results of a 10 race season, the penalty has only symbolical value. It doesn't cost the championship leader his chance of winning the title, as he still has 6 races left, in which he only needs to score 5 results to complete a set of 8. It would only mean that I would lead the standings after 4 races, because he'd have just 3 counting results while I've got 4. Nonetheless, a symbolical penalty would be enough for me to end my feeling of being treated unfairly.

The gearbox with shorter differential ratio is a big improvement, especially at this tight circuit. I'm using 5th gear three times in the lap, while I didn't use it at all with the stock differential.
As you can see in the video from my last post, there is still room for lap time improvement. But it's already a lot better compared to the laps on my Youtube-Channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/Bierlogistiker), which were recorded in 2023 (with Quaife diff) and 2022 (with open diff) respectively. I have to admit that the Quaife diff is not completely without loss of traction out of tight corners, but the loss on the inside rear wheel is very marginal. I'm not sure if you can even tell from the video, but from experiencing it live, I can tell. It's a big upgrade compared to the open diff and it's not expensive. Comparison to a "real" limited slip diff, I have none.