Author Topic: Rear LH brake hoses, and radius arm  (Read 886 times)

Offline jjbunn

Rear LH brake hoses, and radius arm
« on: Sunday,February 08, 2015, 04:37:37 PM »
I am trying to replace the rear brake hose on the LH (driver's) side of my '70 Europa, and it is giving me grief!

As you know, access is very limited, and despite having two stubby 9/16" wrenches, I can't get enough movement or purchase to undo the union on the radius arm (the upper union is disconnected). I can hardly get my fingers up there anyway!

It occurred to me that the job would be easier if I took the radius arm to bushing attachment bolt out, and let the radius arm drop down, so affording better access to the brake hose. But, I'm not sure if I release that bolt, I will do damage by letting the arm drop (the rest of the rear suspension is in place and attached).

Any advice would be most welcome!

Thanks,
Julian

Offline 3929R

Re: Rear LH brake hoses, and radius arm
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,February 08, 2015, 08:13:49 PM »
I don't know the answer to your question and I'm sure an S2 owner will chime. However, in the mean time check the knowledge base. You should find multiple threads about this. [url] http://w3jjj.com/lec/ekbsearch.asp/url]
That's where I found help when I did them on my TCS a few years ago.  (I think I may have jacked up the rear of the car and maybe used a crow's foot socket.... But it's been to long and I can't remember)
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Sunday,February 08, 2015, 11:45:44 PM »
It occurred to me that the job would be easier if I took the radius arm to bushing attachment bolt out, and let the radius arm drop down, so affording better access to the brake hose. But, I'm not sure if I release that bolt, I will do damage by letting the arm drop (the rest of the rear suspension is in place and attached).

That's what I've done with axle stands under the chassis to allow full movement on the rear suspension. It doesn't give you that much more space but it did allow me to work my arms around it on re-assembly. To get the old hose out, well that was a small hacksaw through the rubber  :-[  and drop the arm to remove the rusty nuts on the radius arm.....   

Brian

PS - don't forget to mark & keep any spacers you remove so when it goes back together the tracking is the same !

Offline jjbunn

« Reply #3 on: Monday,February 09, 2015, 08:20:07 PM »
Thanks, guys ... I shall drop the arm, then.

Regarding the spacers: there are none between the arm and the bushing. I think the PO replaced the arm in a hurry, and I suspect he forgot the spacers. So I'm not sure what to do about that ...

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,February 10, 2015, 08:27:14 AM »
Assuming the TC and S2 spacers are the same (and I have no idea if they are), Dave Bean sells these and they are cheap. They come in two thicknesses, 1/16" and 1/8". Order up a few of each and keep some spares on hand. If you take your car to an alignment shop, bring a few spacers with you in the case they have nothing appropriate available.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor