Author Topic: New member  (Read 1962 times)

Offline Clifton

« on: Thursday,January 29, 2015, 03:59:49 PM »
Hi everyone. I'll give some back ground about me. I had been into 240Z's since 1990. I got out of cars a few years ago. My street Z was 2550lbs/ 533 rwhp. My road race Z was 2070lbs/ 417 rwhp. I have been thinking of building something midengined with similar power to weight.  Last weekend my wife and I drove 1300 miles to get a 69' type 54. We found out it was much rougher than the pics led on but I was there so I got it.  The plan is to put in a Toyota 2GR  (IS350 V6) possibly with turbo with MR2 trans, axles, brakes and rear suspension. I'll start a thread once I start accumulating parts.

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,January 29, 2015, 04:14:24 PM »
 :Welcome:

There is always the Alfa option!

Actually the Toyota 4AGE engine is used in the Europa. There are adapter plates available to mate the existing tranny to the Toyota.
« Last Edit: Thursday,January 29, 2015, 04:29:52 PM by LotusJoe »
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,January 29, 2015, 04:27:04 PM »
Hi Clifton,

Your Z cars seem really interesting! Ironically enough, I occasionally check out Zs in case one is irresistible!

I have to say, you are ambitious with your plans! I would advise you to get in touch with Richard Winter at Banks Service Station (aka Europa Engineering http://www.banks-europa.co.uk/index.php). He's probably put one of every motor into a Europa! If he hasn't installed the Toyota motor, he might have some tips for you. I know he's installed a V6 Alfa Romeo motor in a Europa.  He also has some interesting upgrades you may be interested in. When I was calling him, the best time was during his lunch break (12 - 1:00 GMT).

That sort of power will require some body upgrades. If you're interested in keeping the Lotus flavor, Richard probably also has some fender treatments - I know he sells reproductionType 47 and Type 62 body shells.

If you search the Knowledge Base of the lotuseuopa yahoo group, I'll find that the VAST majority of engine swaps are for other four bangers. I have heard of some bigger engines talked about but never any that had been finished. Of course, don't be afraid to ask questions from us here, too. Who knows, we might have some answers!

Good luck! I can't wait to see pictures of your progress!

Offline blasterdad

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,January 29, 2015, 05:52:49 PM »
Another S2 in the forum family!  8)
Lots of great people & info here...
Questions & pics always welcome!!!  ;)

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #4 on: Friday,January 30, 2015, 08:48:09 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Clifton. Sounds like a very interesting project you have there. Whilst planning it, give careful consideration to overall weight. Lotus people tend to be obsessed with weight, largely because it is a major design and engineering philosophy of the creator of the marque. And there is good reason for this; no amount of power will make a Lotus do what a Lotus does best, if it is too heavy. I would be a bit concerned that a turbo V6 would be a bit weighty, and though immensly fun, the delicate balance of the Lotus may be upset. It all depends on your goals for the project, of course.

In any event, good luck with the project and keep us posted on progress. Such projects are always interesting, and I am keen to see how things go with transaxel alternatives. Cheers  :beerchug:
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Clifton

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,January 31, 2015, 03:32:16 PM »
I've read of the 4age and Zetec swaps. They both seem to be a pretty simple swap but lack the power I'm after. I here you guys on weight. I too am concerned with it. I was obsessed with keeping it down on my track Z's.  If I can be under 1800lbs with A/C, I'll be happy. A bit more than stock but it will have 4 times the power and twice the rubber. I have found a place to shorten CV's so I should be able to keep it stock looking with out flares. It will definitely not be for the purists.

Here's a vid of the track Z at autoX, it was set up for road coarse not tight autoX. This was the 2000lb one, about 350-400 hp at time. Yes Europas would kill it at autoX  but not on a road coarse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73LwB1RsZrI

Offline BDA

« Reply #6 on: Saturday,January 31, 2015, 03:56:58 PM »
Looks like a nice car! Congratulations!

Let us know if we can help in any way!

:lotus:

Offline blasterdad

« Reply #7 on: Saturday,January 31, 2015, 04:14:41 PM »
Nice Z!
From the looks of the Europa you've got a pretty sound platform to build it any way you see fit!
To me, "Race" Europa's look sick!!!
Love this one...

Offline BDA

« Reply #8 on: Monday,February 02, 2015, 07:17:11 AM »
It's hard to tell, but is there a bubble in the roof on the driver's side?

Offline blasterdad

« Reply #9 on: Monday,February 02, 2015, 04:38:11 PM »
It's hard to tell, but is there a bubble in the roof on the driver's side?
I've tried to figure that out too, but the blonde keeps distracting me.... ;D
My screensaver shot of it is bigger, I'm pretty sure it is.

Offline BDA

« Reply #10 on: Monday,February 02, 2015, 04:46:42 PM »
That's the nice thing about fiberglass cars is that you can do stuff like that!

When I bought my car when I was in college, I didn't have any trouble fitting in it but now I'm really glad to have a little extra head room! (I thought we were supposed to shrink as we got older!)

Offline blasterdad

« Reply #11 on: Monday,February 02, 2015, 05:54:57 PM »
That's the nice thing about fiberglass cars is that you can do stuff like that!

When I bought my car when I was in college, I didn't have any trouble fitting in it but now I'm really glad to have a little extra head room! (I thought we were supposed to shrink as we got older!)
I think he enjoys some extra head room also!  ;D

Offline BDA

« Reply #12 on: Monday,February 02, 2015, 05:57:12 PM »
 :FUNNY: