Author Topic: Window hinges  (Read 560 times)

Offline kram350kram

Window hinges
« on: Friday,December 15, 2023, 07:20:56 AM »
Have a project that requires a fixed plexiglass window to become operable, no frame.Need a 270 degree opening swing. Have looked at many types of hinges but no luck. Needs to be on the small side, can’t be piano. Anyone have  a suggestion?

Offline Kendo

Re: Window hinges
« Reply #1 on: Friday,December 15, 2023, 08:01:06 AM »
The plexiglas is probably 1/4”. How thick is the frame? And opening 3/4 of a circle? What’s the application, if you are willing to reveal?

Offline FourLoti

« Reply #2 on: Friday,December 15, 2023, 08:52:01 AM »
You may have done this, but Google search for miniature articulated cabinet hinges, and then switch to the Images tab. Maybe you'll see something that would work?

Ron
1974 Europa Twin Cam Special 5-Speed
1996 Porsche 993 Carrera Coupe
2005 Mitsubishi Montero Limited
1987 Esprit Turbo (gone)
1980 Eclat (gone)
1963 Elan S1 (gone)
1970 Europa S2 (gone)

Offline dakazman

« Reply #3 on: Friday,December 15, 2023, 09:24:32 AM »
Some mirrors have hinges that get glued in . That could be the plexiglass side the other side ???
 Dakazman

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,December 16, 2023, 09:42:33 AM »
Try aircraft window hinges.

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,December 23, 2023, 08:21:07 PM »
Thanks all for the responses .

Kendo, Plexiglass is .110" thick but the plexi window overhangs the door mounting relief by 1/2". Originally the window was screwed and fixed to this door frame relief.
So... I'm looking to: open the window up. The problem is that the window has to hinge up at the pivot point which is at the very edge of the window and door frame relief. The hinge has to be on the interior side and not surface mounted. Thinking of some type of slide out and then hinge up affair. Any suggestions appreciated.   

Offline dakazman

« Reply #6 on: Sunday,December 24, 2023, 02:19:03 PM »
  Kram, Is this a side window or the front? Its hard to see from the pictures.
   Now your into some sophisticated mechanism, I have repaired many Boeing and Airbus aircraft windows that had a drop down pivot point then hand cranked rearward. maybe some better pictures and size of the hinged window.
 Dakazman 

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,January 02, 2024, 03:55:45 PM »
Side window for a GT40. Think I got it figured out. Needed the window to fold out of the way to get to the steering wheel when pushing the car or doing maintenance. Stock, the side windows are screwed inplace so access to the interior is impossible without removing the window and opening the door doesn't help much.

I fabricated a sheet metal plate, mounted on a sliding rail with a hinge on the end. This unit moves out and away from the car door frame relief, then the window moves up and over the door/roof. Will have some small latches at the bottom to keep the window closed.   Will try to post a movie of its operation. If I can't get the movie to load, will post some stills. Thought some Europa owners might be interested as I thought some of the early cars had fixed side windows?

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,January 02, 2024, 04:01:39 PM »
Yup, the first S1s have fixed windows.  S1a/b have "pop-out", also known as "fall-out", windows.  I fit fixed windows to my S1b.  No problems pushing it around.

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday,January 02, 2024, 07:41:58 PM »
So with a S1 you have to deal with the door open to get to the the steering wheel.  Seems inconvenient.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday,January 02, 2024, 08:33:07 PM »
Hasn't been for me.  Open door, adjust steering, close door, push.  Bit more of a procedure than having an open window but really can't say that it is any bother at all.

Offline SwiftDB4

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday,January 02, 2024, 09:48:52 PM »
Kram, I think the difference is the GT40 door top makes it much harder to reach the steering wheel than on a Europa. I have an SPF too and an S1 Europa.