Author Topic: Mechanical fuel pump  (Read 1063 times)

Offline califkid_66

Re: Mechanical fuel pump
« Reply #15 on: Thursday,August 10, 2023, 06:55:22 PM »
Wow thanks that’s pretty interesting but still wondering what made it swell up I ran that pump almost one year always fueled at same place

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #16 on: Thursday,August 10, 2023, 09:54:09 PM »
That o-ring is going to fail again. It is either not compatible with gasoline, or perhaps an additive such as ethanol. Either way, it is the wrong material. The current o-ring may be nitrile, which is commonly used in gasoline applications, but is not compatible with ethanol. Viton o-rings are a good choice for all automotive fuels, and have very good resistance to swelling in the presence of ethanol.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline califkid_66

« Reply #17 on: Friday,August 11, 2023, 05:16:23 AM »
I’m not sure but I just read that where I fueled they have supreme and supreme+ the difference between them is supreme + was formulated for modern cars and have cleaning agents and additives
I was using supreme +

Offline califkid_66

« Reply #18 on: Friday,August 11, 2023, 08:47:03 AM »
I just went to the gas station the guy with the tanker was there I told him my problem he said that about 4 months ago they started putting ethanol in all their fuels including supreme and he had the same problems on his tanker he said the seals on the transfer hoses where they connect started to leak so they had to change them with another type of seal

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
« Reply #19 on: Friday,August 11, 2023, 10:13:32 AM »
I just went to the gas station the guy with the tanker was there I told him my problem he said that about 4 months ago they started putting ethanol in all their fuels including supreme and he had the same problems on his tanker he said the seals on the transfer hoses where they connect started to leak so they had to change them with another type of seal

As Baiinford said previously...look for someone supplying Viton seals.  They seem to be working better for the crap the oil companies are being forced to sell by cutting what passes as gasoline these days with ethanol. 
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Offline califkid_66

« Reply #20 on: Friday,August 11, 2023, 10:36:55 AM »
I could change the o rings but I don’t think I could find valves they seem to be made of the same material I already have a facet fuel pump might as well install it 

Offline richard-wilkins@hotmail.c

« Reply #21 on: Saturday,August 12, 2023, 02:31:24 PM »
I changed the mechanical pump some while ago to a Facet (plus inertia cut out) and the improvement in starting is incredible. Can't help thinking about the effort to get fuel up to the greedy carbs. Time and time again I have heard the starter beginning to slow after much cranking. Hence the change.

« Reply #22 on: Saturday,August 12, 2023, 02:36:15 PM »
Forgot to say. Also fitted a pressure regulator adjusted to the correct pressure.

Offline califkid_66

« Reply #23 on: Saturday,August 12, 2023, 04:14:47 PM »
Where did you install your pump I’m planning to install it same place as BDA suggested inside the frame rails out of the way and very low
I have a friend who installed his pump on the frame rails and for power I read of connecting to the battery with a relay he made it really simple
He connected to the positive of the alternator regulator put a fuse between pump and regulator
the positive on the regulator has no power until you turn on the ignition
He ended up with one wire fuse pump and ground instead of batt to relay and all the wiring
I’m thinking of taking my power from same place but go through oil pressure sensor and inertia switch

Offline My S1

« Reply #24 on: Sunday,August 13, 2023, 04:13:22 PM »
Could anyone tell me what the correct manufacturer and part number should be for an S1 1967 mechanical fuel pump?  I believe the Lotus number was A054 E 6075 and replace by A065 E 6000.  Was it originally made by Ducellier?

Offline califkid_66

« Reply #25 on: Sunday,August 13, 2023, 07:15:50 PM »
Not sure for s1 but for my s2 it was a S.E.V. Marchal mechanical fuel pump I couldn’t find a rebuild kit or a new one So ended off buying a knockoff

« Reply #26 on: Monday,August 14, 2023, 11:32:12 PM »
Hi. Re No. 23. Sorry for late reply. I mounted the pump on a bracket you'd normally see in a competition car which also houses the inertia switch and pressure gauge. The only place suitable was to the rear of the airbox. When it came to re-fitting the airbox, there wasn't room!
The only solution was to remove the far end of the airbox and reverse it so that it was drawing air from the front of the engine bay. I have noted no reduction in engine performance as a result of the change round.
I will try to up-load some pics later on to explain visually. Also worth noting that I removed the mechanical pump with a blanking plate to close off the aperture.
Hope this helps.

« Reply #27 on: Tuesday,August 15, 2023, 06:11:36 AM »
Having problems up-loading the pics. If anyone wants them, send me an email and I will forward.
richard-wilkins@hotmail.com
Thanks.

Offline BDA

« Reply #28 on: Tuesday,August 15, 2023, 07:26:03 AM »
If your problem up loading pictures is their size, here is one way to fix it:

http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=1379.0

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #29 on: Tuesday,August 15, 2023, 08:12:03 AM »
I installed the fuel pump just under the trunk insert.  When water in the gas was a problem due to leaky fuel tank tops, I had a marine fuel/water separator mounted to the bolt in cross member.   There is a lot of room to do what you want with your fuel system here.