Author Topic: Europa spare tire  (Read 558 times)

Offline kram350kram

Europa spare tire
« on: Friday,January 27, 2023, 07:00:59 PM »
Ebay listing # 225378654522. Supposedly from a 1972 Europa? I had thought all had full size spares? Any thoughts/comments? This would be helpful for my V-8 project.

Online BDA

Re: Europa spare tire
« Reply #1 on: Friday,January 27, 2023, 07:09:29 PM »
TC spare tires were front tires. If you had Brand Lotus wheels, the spare did too.

Edit: Having looked at the ad, that is clearly fake. They didn’t have space-saver spares then.
« Last Edit: Friday,January 27, 2023, 07:13:09 PM by BDA »

Offline gideon

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,January 28, 2023, 07:32:04 AM »
I checked the tire size from the ad, it's 125/70R16.  That works out to a diameter of 22.9", which compares well with the stock size of 155/80R13 at 22.8".  If the wheel fits in all other dimensions then it could make a very handy, lightweight spare wheel.   The ad doesn't actually claim that it's original, just that it's a spare wheel for a Lotus Europa. 

I'd like to know where this wheel came from originally.

Online BDA

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,January 28, 2023, 08:16:37 AM »
I have no idea where it came from but the bolt circle for a Triumph Spitfire always seemed uncommon to me.

I have “two spare tires” for my car. I have a tire repair kit with a battery operated compressor and a can of Green Slime! Much lighter than a space saver spare!  :)

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Saturday,January 28, 2023, 08:53:27 AM »
As already posted, the 60s/70s cars came with a full size spare. Mine was supplied with steel wheels so came with an original steel 13" wheel, space savers weren't invented back then !

I use a 14" MGF space saver for my car with 15" wheels. From memory the Triumph PCD was also used on the MGF and Metro series as well as Lotus. If you're interested in that spare then I'd double-check the PCD with the seller.

Offline RonPNW

• S2 54/1678
« Reply #5 on: Monday,January 30, 2023, 03:40:01 PM »
I drove an entire day in my 70 S2 on 205/60 13 tires when it was a daily driver. The steering was a little loose and vague. Checked all the bushings and linkages and finally checked air pressure. I had a flat (drove over a nail). It seems the loading is so low that that tire ran OK with no air pressure. Certainly not a good idea for the highway or long term but also certainly enough to get to a repair. Since then, I replaced the spare with a can of fix a flat. Move your tool box to the front to maintain balance.   :)

Ron
Second restoration of a 1970 S2, now with a Spyder chassis, 807-13 crossflow engine and some modern upgrades. This car is just for fun!

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,January 31, 2023, 07:17:05 AM »
Just a word of warning about completely removing the spare wheel.

Apparently I read somewhere on this forum that the spare wheel was part of the front crash impact absorbent material required to make the car impact resistant to meet type approval.

Remove the spare wheel, and there is not much of substance in front of your legs to absorb a front impact. 

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,January 31, 2023, 08:23:08 AM »

Apparently I read somewhere on this forum that the spare wheel was part of the front crash impact absorbent material required to make the car impact resistant to meet type approval.

I read that before. However, if I was even remotely concerned about crash worthiness, the Europa is the last car I would drive. At the best of times, it's worse than a motorcycle. By virtue of crawling into my Lotus, firing it up, and hitting the road, I accept the fact that even a minor collision is likely to have dire consequences. Driving a Lotus on public roads is taking your life in your own hands. Or, as Stirling Moss said, "Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence".

My spare tire lives in the garage.
« Last Edit: Tuesday,January 31, 2023, 09:01:09 AM by Bainford »
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Online BDA

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,January 31, 2023, 09:07:55 AM »
Bainford, are you trying to scare us about driving our cars so you can buy them all up cheap?  ;D

Offline gideon

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday,January 31, 2023, 11:41:18 AM »
if I was even remotely concerned about crash worthiness, the Europa is the last car I would drive. At the best of times, it's worse than a motorcycle.

Mike Kimberley sometimes comments on Bryan's Facebook group.  It's clear that he is proud of the crash test results they got with the Europa.  I can't find the quote now, but it was something like "Best ever 30mph crash test results. Ever!".  OK, side impact testing wasn't part of the program then, but it should be judged by the standards of the time.  I've spent enough time riding motorcycles and driving old cars to know that there are more chances to be killed or maimed while riding a motorcycle than while driving an old car.  I once spent six months driving a Mini Moke as my commuter car in Melbourne, Oz.  Not much protection in any direction with the Moke but I never felt nearly so vulnerable as I had while commuting by motorcycle in London.  I fell off the motorcycle more than once, but I never fell out of the Moke.

I guess the sheer number of high speed, traffic light controlled intersections in North America makes side impact protection more important this side of the Atlantic.  But that's a rant for another day.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday,January 31, 2023, 01:19:48 PM »
Lotus cars are pretty safe, as long as you crash into another Lotus car.  Smash into an Ford F350 (or pretty much every other vehicle on the road) and all bets are off.

Online BDA

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday,January 31, 2023, 02:06:37 PM »
I'd say you're pretty safe if you drive into a wall at a reasonable speed and something moveable things at a higher speed especially if you still have your bumpers. The bumpers spread the load across the entire width of the car and actually give pretty good protection. I have experience!

Crashes that involve the side are another matter. Up to a reasonable speed, you or your passenger provide some protection for the valuable frame.

Offline MAK

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday,January 31, 2023, 06:19:16 PM »
I think if you are in any import car the size of a Lotus from the 60's or 70's you are at risk. Got rear ended at 65mph in my 72 Alfa Berlina and climbed out the driver's window, car was totaled, had the entire front end run over by a semi taking a wide right turn from the left lane in my 73 Alfa Spyder, car was repaired after 8 months waiting for a new front end from Italy. 
"The best to you each morning"

Online BDA

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday,January 31, 2023, 06:33:46 PM »
Sad story about a pretty car!

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #14 on: Friday,February 03, 2023, 03:02:37 AM »
Smash into an Ford F350 (or pretty much every other vehicle on the road) and all bets are off.

F350's are not common in the UK, but I would say that all bets would be off with whatever you were driving if your ran into one of those. :(