Author Topic: Paining car  (Read 549 times)

Offline dakazman

Re: Paining car
« Reply #15 on: Saturday,January 08, 2022, 11:18:15 AM »
   Thanks Rich,
  I’ll look into it further.

Dakazman

Offline TCS4605R

« Reply #16 on: Saturday,January 08, 2022, 11:58:41 AM »
I am in the process of paint prep now.  I have DA sanded the entire body with 80 grit down to bare fiberglass.  The body had (6) coats of material on it when I started the DA sanding process - powder blue gelcoat, color, primer, color, primer, color.  The next step I applied Eastwood 'Contour Premium Body Filler' where needed to provide a flat surface and to properly align the doors, hood and bonnet surfaces to the surrounding fiberglass body surfaces.  I then sanded that with 80 grit using a long board sanding block.  Next, I applied 2 wet coats of 2-part black epoxy primer (Eastwood  #2785ZP with #50243ZP activator) then sanded that with 320 grit using a long board sanding block.  Next, 3 wet coats of Eastwood 'Contour Gray Polyester Primer-Surfacer' then applied black powder guide coat and sanded with 80 grit until I removed most of the guide coat leaving guide coat in the low areas, I cleaned the surface and applied more Primer-Surfacer to the low areas, applied the guide coat and sanded again to remove the guide coat.  I repeated this Primer-Surfacer/sanding process until I was able to remove all of the guide coat without sanding down to the black epoxy.  My finish sanding on the last coat of Primer-Surfacer was 80 grit, then 120 grit, then 180 grit, then 220 grit, then 320 grit all with a long board sanding block to keep the surfaces perfectly flat.  I have yet to start applying the color coats and clear coats.  One thing I did find during the DA sanding - when I sanded over areas with spider cracks in the paint, the cracks were only in the color, and not the primer or fiberglass.  I think since the body is so thin and it flexes enough to crack the color coat in high stress areas - around door handles, etc.  I reinforced these areas with (3) layers of matt fiberglass on the inside to give more strength to these areas.

Tom
74 TCS - 4605R

Offline dakazman

« Reply #17 on: Sunday,January 09, 2022, 04:02:04 PM »
  It sounds like you doing everything possible for a great finish.  Thanks for your observation on the spider cracks. I just purchased 5 panels that I just stripped down. The spider and stress crack can easily be seen with a bright light behind panel.
 Post some pics soon.
Dakazman