Author Topic: Steering wheel help  (Read 1059 times)

Offline Pete

Steering wheel help
« on: Friday,April 30, 2021, 12:58:02 PM »
Is there any way of getting the hard leather repaired on an original steering wheel? I’ve found the original one with the signature engraved on it. But the leather has cracked open. Don’t know how to attempt a repair. All the videos I could find are for new leather wheels or hard plastic ones.
Europa S2 1970 great car
Me complete novice mechanic..
Let’s see how the restore goes.

Offline Dilkris

Re: Steering wheel help
« Reply #1 on: Friday,April 30, 2021, 01:06:20 PM »
"Yes"  - but I don't know exactly where - somewhere in the West Midlands, (Walsall maybe?). There was an episode of Car SOS where Tim Shaw had one done. Keep digging, you'll find it.     

Offline Gary t

« Reply #2 on: Friday,April 30, 2021, 04:18:14 PM »
There are lots of YouTubes of leather covering steering wheels
 It is a opportunity to learn something new.
Gary Toffelmire
54/1173

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Friday,April 30, 2021, 06:20:29 PM »

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Friday,April 30, 2021, 09:48:02 PM »
Hi Pete,

First thing....    are you sure that's the original Europa wheel ? I ask because I always thought that the Chapman signature wheels were on Elans and the OEM wheel on my TC didn't have the signature.  Knowing your uncle had connections with Chris Neils way back, it wouldn't surprise me if he'd picked up an Elan wheel because they used to break & sell Elans & Europas.

Secondly, as Gary says, there are loads of videos on youtube about how to re-cover steering wheels with leather and it's not as hard as you might imagine.  This is where I go back to the question if it's an Elan wheel because there were two sizes and I don't know off hand if it was the Elan or the +2 wheel that matched the Europa, so it's worth measuring before you buy a kit.

But even if you had the wheel professionally repaired it will be worthwhile. That little bit of metal with a stamped "Colin Chapman", when assembled into a steering wheel will probably sell for well north of £350.....   I've even seen them at close to £500 when complete & mint.

Brian

Offline Pete

« Reply #5 on: Friday,April 30, 2021, 10:57:47 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I hadn’t found that cover. Think I may give it a go.

My auntie seems to think that it’s the original wheel. He took it off cos it split years ago. But the one which is on has done the same. But it has also snapped.
I have been looking at these.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-Elan-Europa-Elite-Seven-Classic-Polished-Alloy-Wood-13-Steering-Wheel-D-/324105708897?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Smaller to make it easier for me to drive as the one that’s in and that possibly original one means they rub on my left leg when trying to drive. I’m 6’1”. I’ve moved the seat as far back as I can. But still feel cramped in it. With my left leg wedged between the wheel and centre console.
Europa S2 1970 great car
Me complete novice mechanic..
Let’s see how the restore goes.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #6 on: Friday,April 30, 2021, 11:46:42 PM »
If it's space you're after, then the original owner of my car fitted an 11" Astrali wheel to get more room. It's practical for daily driving, you can see instruments, etc,  and I ran it for a few years. I've also tried 12" & 13" wheels as well as the original TC wheel (14" ?) which came along with the car. 

Because I'm only 5'8" and the TC has a bigger cabin anyway I've not had a problem with any option but my preference is the 13" Moto Lita which I've kept for a few years now.

Brian

Offline Bodzer

« Reply #7 on: Friday,April 30, 2021, 11:50:02 PM »
My +2 steering wheel had been snapped and required welding and plastic replacement. I had I’d one by someone in Barrow-in-Furness. They did a superb job but it was about ten years ago now. I’ll try and dig out the details but I sold the car awhile ago.  There is a crowd in Kent but that was just from a google search so I have no experience. Steeringwheelrestoration.com.  I hope it helps.

Offline BobW

« Reply #8 on: Sunday,May 02, 2021, 01:19:11 PM »
If you have an S2, I think the original wheel would not have been leather-covered and would not have had a signature. Mine is covered with a seemingly indestructible vinyl.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #9 on: Sunday,May 02, 2021, 03:26:53 PM »
The stock wheel is 15".  I went to 14" with a wider rim and it turned out to be exactly the same diameter as the stock one with it's narrower rim.  Just food for thought.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #10 on: Thursday,June 23, 2022, 05:08:01 AM »
I have a standard Lotus steering wheel which is 14" external diameter, and it looks like a dog chewed half the leather and some of the foam off.

Rather than pay exorbitant prices for another original steering wheel, I am trying to renovate my existing.

I cut the stitching to get all the leather off, and underneath is a rigid foam, 3/4" in diameter covering two steel rings which are connected to the 3 spokes.

I thought of replacing the foam by buying a 3/4" internal diameter rubber hose, and a bit at a time spraying expanding foam into the gap between the steel and the inside of the rubber, but that looks like hard work, sanding the foam to get an even 3/4" diameter perfect circle.

So I delved into my box of hoses and found a 3/4" outside diameter length, which I think is the heater hose.

I cut a short length off, slit it down its length using scissors, and it fits perfectly on the two steel rings. I just need to wrap it in electrical tape, to cover the joint.

I bought a leather steering wheel cover on eBay for less than £10, it is the right 14" - 15" diameter, but will need reducing in width to fit the 3/4" diameter hose. Pi x 3/4" should give a diameter of 2.35", so the leather needs to be 2.35" wide.

I just need someone handy with a needle and thread to stitch it all up.

The repair should cost me about £4.00 for the hose, £1.00 for the black tape, £10.00 for the leather, and probably £30-£40 for the needlework, (unless someone stitches me up !) .

What prices has anyone paid to have their original steering wheel renovated?

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #11 on: Thursday,June 23, 2022, 05:38:01 AM »
I installed a wheelskins (https://wheelskins.com) leather cover over the original cover.  I think it looks and feels good.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #12 on: Thursday,June 23, 2022, 06:06:00 AM »
Enclosed photos of the steering wheel with the rubber hose attached, and waiting to be stitched up.

Offline Kendo

« Reply #13 on: Thursday,June 23, 2022, 07:16:53 AM »
I would think that buying a new cover of the right width would be cheaper than having one re-stitched. But it’s been a few years since I recovered a steering wheel.

That rubber hose looks surprisingly good. A cover, even without the tape, should finish it well.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #14 on: Thursday,June 23, 2022, 08:35:57 AM »
Hi Alex,
I retrimmed the original Elan wheel using a similar EBAY special leather cover. I forget the seller but someone was selling leather cut to the exact size for the Lotus wheels if you want an easier route.

Stitching is remarkably simple, loads of Youtube videos to follow and for the first attempt it wasn't too bad. 7yrs later it's still there (2015 when I did it) and I've since retrimmed the original Europa wheel for my car, purely for a mancave ornament.   :)

Brian