Author Topic: Handbrake/park brake cable dimensions ?  (Read 1603 times)

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Handbrake/park brake cable dimensions ?
« on: Thursday,August 29, 2013, 10:58:35 PM »
Ok folks, I know this is a crazy long shot, but here goes....

Does anyone have their car in bits and can get the dimensions of the handbrake cable, or perhaps have a spare they can measure from ? 

I'm collecting parts for a rear disc conversion and it looks like I will need to modify the handbrake cable.  I don't want to cut the OEM one on my car just in case I decide at some point to revert to drums again (unlikely, but I like reversible mods)  so I'm looking through the catalogs to buy something the right sort of length which I can then modify to fit the new set-up after the calipers are mounted.

Brian

(Yes, I know I can measure mine but I'm using the car while we still have some of that very rare sunshine over here, so I don't want to start pulling it apart just yet.....)

Offline cal44

Re: Handbrake/park brake cable dimensions ?
« Reply #1 on: Friday,August 30, 2013, 05:23:59 AM »
B,
I can't help you. 

I often wondered why someone doesn't bring back the in line locking valve for the brakes. 
You finish your journey, push the brake pedal  and flip a manual switch.  Locks the shoes/pads.  Get back in the vehicle, flip the lever and brakes are released. 

Was it a safety issue?  We had them on our work trucks umpteen years ago.

mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Friday,August 30, 2013, 09:12:36 AM »
Hi Mike,

Hydraulic locking, that sounds like a great anti-theft idea as well. Can you imagine a thief giving the engine full beans and barely crawling away with steam coming from the wheels ?   >:D

I know it's a long shot asking for such info, I realise there's not much chance anyone has access to a bare chassis with cable either installed or alongside.  But it's always worth asking, just in case.

Brian

ps - house finished ? garden all planted ?  sitting on the veranda chilling out with a cool beer then ?  :)

Offline YellowS4DHC

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,September 05, 2013, 07:17:55 PM »
Brian,
sorry I can't help you with the handbrake cable, that's one of the few things I haven't had to tinker with yet.

I'm interested in the approach you're using with respect to a rear disc brake conversion.  It wouldn't by any chance be the one documented on the GGLC web site, would it?  This is the one using Merker calipers.

(I was all hot to do this myself until I got sidetracked with my engine noise, which led to a rebuilt pump, a valve job, porting, and higher lift cams, valve springs, followers etc.  A Europa is the dictionary definition of mission creep.)

Regards
Rick

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Thursday,September 05, 2013, 11:00:57 PM »
I was all hot to do this myself until I got sidetracked with my engine noise, which led to a rebuilt pump, a valve job, porting, and higher lift cams, valve springs, followers etc.  A Europa is the dictionary definition of mission creep.)

:)

Boy, do I recognize that statement !

The conversion isn't the GGLC one but has been designed by another UK owner and was originally commented on via the Yahoo group list.  It is one after my own heart in that it's cheap, or at least much cheaper than any of the alternatives I've seen. My total costs to date are less than £110 ($160 ?) to assemble all new parts whereas any UK conversion kit seems to be around the £600 mark.  The downside is that it's very DIY-intensive ! 

It uses MGF rear discs which have the correct PCD so no drilling, and a caliper from the Renault Scenic.  I understand this was also fitted to the Citroen C4, Renault Clio and Peugot 308 although that's internet data so needs confirmation.  Richard (the designer of this one) used the OEM handbrake cable but I've decided to make a custom spec one to fit the calipers better, although at the moment that's a long way off. 

I'm taking pictures along the way and will post the outcome, good or bad, when I either succeed or throw it away in despair  ;)

Brian

Offline Roger

« Reply #5 on: Friday,September 06, 2013, 04:01:12 AM »
Which bits of the cable do you want to measure? There's the front bit of single run back to the yoke, then the bit that runs round the yoke back each side to the brakes. I'd guess you mean the second bit?

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #6 on: Friday,September 06, 2013, 08:24:56 AM »

I'm taking pictures along the way and will post the outcome, good or bad, when I either succeed or throw it away in despair  ;)

Brian
Cheers Brian. I'm very interested in learning more about rear disc conversion. This one sounds like an interesting kit.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #7 on: Friday,September 06, 2013, 09:10:22 AM »
Which bits of the cable do you want to measure? There's the front bit of single run back to the yoke, then the bit that runs round the yoke back each side to the brakes. I'd guess you mean the second bit?
Hi Roger,

Yes, you're right, it's the long piece which goes from the center tunnel to each wheel.

The reason is that I have a catalogue which lists aftermarket brake cables with lengths/diagrams and I wanted to see if there were any that are an approximate match so I can buy a cheap one to modify for this project. The Europa ones are roughly £50 over here which is a lot to pay for something to hack about if I can pick something up for significantly less.  (I have a project manager watching the joint account on these jobs....  ;)  )

Brian