Author Topic: What kind of paint used.  (Read 545 times)

Offline Sparkrite

What kind of paint used.
« on: Sunday,January 03, 2021, 10:53:39 AM »
I am in the process of recommissioning my tc after a 20 odd year slumber, and there are various parts that would benefit from a cosmetic improvement. My question is what type of paint was used for the following, top and diagonal brace tubes next to firewall - gloss black, fuel tanks - possibly silk black, coolant expansion tank - possibly silk black ,chassis - black. They all seem to have been applied without a primer. But was the paint cellulose, polyurethane,enamel? I just don't know.

Offline Kendo

Re: What kind of paint used.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,January 05, 2021, 12:40:34 PM »
The tanks were gloss black. I just worked on mine a few months ago. I don't know what paint was originally applied, and no primer was used on my car. I've been using black Rustoleum enamel, gloss and satin for the various items. I just repainted the front air box (?) where the radiator and spare tire are, using a grey Rustoleum primer for the first time, under satin black paint. It helps the paint stick much better. So I'll be doing that in the future.

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,January 05, 2021, 01:25:57 PM »
Kendo, I think yours were painted by the PO. When my car was new, the gas tanks were matte black. Actually, that's giving the paint more credit than it was due. They weren't pretty but rather more industrial looking. There didn't appear to be a real "finish" to the paint if you can guess what I mean. They certainly were not gloss. I think it might have actually been pretty decent paint given that I've seen some gas tanks that appear to be original and still hold gas, but I have no idea what kind it was.

Offline BobW

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,January 05, 2021, 03:45:21 PM »
My S2's gas tank was also black with no shine at all, possibly some kind of coating? I painted its replacement matte black. My coolant tubes and surge tank have not been touched and are satin black. I would guess the paint is an enamel, and yes, no primer is evident on the spots that have chipped.

Offline Sparkrite

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,January 06, 2021, 12:53:27 PM »
I have used this paint before with good results and it goes straight on to metal.
https://www.diy.com/departments/fortress-black-gloss-metal-paint-0-75l/127964_BQ.prd