Author Topic: TCS rear suspension bearing housing upright  (Read 277 times)

Offline kram350kram

TCS rear suspension bearing housing upright
« on: Saturday,May 02, 2020, 08:43:45 AM »
I noticed the rear bearing upright in some models, maybe early S1&2's, have the shock and lower link bar attachment points in different locations? Since I am redoing the rear suspension on my '74 Twin Cam, is there any advantage to separating the two attachment points? I am going to use adjustable lower links. The aluminum upright is not drilled twice to accommodate so I would need to drill the second hole. Currently, the lower shock mount and lower link both attach to the same bolt. Any thoughts?

Offline BDA

Re: TCS rear suspension bearing housing upright
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,May 02, 2020, 09:16:13 AM »
I wouldn't mess with it. I don't know why they used two bolts to begin with but I don't think there is any advantage going back to that.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Saturday,May 02, 2020, 09:57:01 AM »
Hi there,

The first thing that comes to mind is "why would you want to add all that extra weight ?"   :)

I don't know why they had two bolts on the S1/S2 and only one on the TCs, it might have been due to accountants but equally it might have been down to not being needed when they redesigned the suspension for the TC.

Just looking at the parts book, the S2 has both damper & link on the same side, the TC had one on each side. If your new adjustable lower link is rose jointed then it should have enough movement to work, but if it's like mine with an adjustable "middle" and rubber bushes at either end then the angle of these bush housings probably won't work.

I'll stress that I  don't know, it's just a guess. Being very averse to spending money, especially if it meant my new links wouldn't fit then  I'd just not add the extra bolt !   ;)

Brian 

Offline GavinT

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,May 02, 2020, 09:58:09 AM »
Yeah, agree with BDA & Brian.

Leave it.
It'll be less unsprung weight without the second bolt.  ;D
« Last Edit: Saturday,May 02, 2020, 10:00:18 AM by GavinT »

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,May 02, 2020, 10:53:22 AM »
There were engine and chassis changes between the S2s and TCs and suspect suspension pick up points changed as a result. The Lotus engineers decided what changes were needed so unless you know what changed and why, I would leave things alone.

Offline buzzer

« Reply #5 on: Sunday,May 03, 2020, 09:29:01 AM »
Also there are differences in the bearings used and I believe the output shafts on the TCS. Check the lotus parts list
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK