Author Topic: Voltage Stabilizer Ground  (Read 550 times)

Offline Sherman Kaplan

Voltage Stabilizer Ground
« on: Thursday,March 19, 2020, 03:03:45 PM »
Can someone please educate me on how the voltage stabilizer on my TSC is grounded?  Below is a picture of the back of my original dash.  The ground wire is screwed into the dash.   How does this ground the stabilizer?  Would it be better to run a new ground to the chassis?

Thanks,
Sherman

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: Voltage Stabilizer Ground
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,March 19, 2020, 03:17:22 PM »
The grounds from the dashboard should be all joined up and earthed to the chassis where the two metal brackets hold the dashboard at the bottom. They are bolted to the chassis by about 1 1/2" x 3/8 UNF bolts just behind where the heater pipes emerge from the chassis.

The brackets are about where the two window switches are located.

Offline Sherman Kaplan

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,March 19, 2020, 03:20:32 PM »
That sounds logical, but my voltage stabilizer only had the ground wire attached as in the picture.  I think I will run a dedicated ground to the chassis bolts located as you described.

Thanks!
Sherman

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,March 19, 2020, 03:24:08 PM »
There is no ground wire terminal on the reg itself.  Just ground the body of the reg.  Some instrument voltage regs don't even have a ground.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #4 on: Thursday,March 19, 2020, 03:29:50 PM »
That sounds logical, but my voltage stabilizer only had the ground wire attached as in the picture.  I think I will run a dedicated ground to the chassis bolts located as you described.

Thanks!
Sherman

I had to run a wire linking up the door switch earths, and all the dashboard earths to get things to work properly.

Likewise, all the front lights earth to a 1/4 UNF bolt which holds the metal closer plate to the body. That plate then earths to the chassis where that steel closure plate is bolted to the  cross front T of the chassis. 

So remove that closure plate, and the lights etc won't work.