Author Topic: Front Windshield chrome trim install ?  (Read 1949 times)

Offline Mikey likes it!

Front Windshield chrome trim install ?
« on: Thursday,May 23, 2019, 10:46:32 AM »
I recently purchased the chrome plastic trim from R.D.    Has anyone replaced theirs, and if so, what did you use to hold it in place prior to installing windshield?   Also, I'm using butyl to re-install the windshield.....   any thoughts ?
73' TC Special

Offline Clifton

Re: Front Windshield chrome trim install ?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,May 23, 2019, 02:10:27 PM »
TC right?

Offline califkid_66

« Reply #2 on: Friday,May 31, 2019, 05:58:47 AM »
Im looking for info on installation to
according to what i saw you have to install the molding to the windshield using the butyl
Then used a calking gun to put a bead of urathane on the body and then put the windshield in its place and tape it there
also heard you better support the front top of body cause it is saggy wish someone would clarify this cause im ready to install it

Offline Mikey likes it!

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,October 02, 2019, 05:24:37 PM »
My windshield is in !!!!    I used butyl,  I don't believe the windshield in a europa is structural....   I used butyl, it did work for the first 47 years.  The car flexes sooooo much, I did not want the windshield to crack when the car flexed.  First of all, I replaced the windshield due to breaking the old one when I tried to remove it to replace the dash and crash pad.  The chrome plastic trim is curved, the corners are flat....   this took some fitting....    The trim would come off when I put the windshield in for a test fit.  It would flex too much and pull off the grove for the windshield.  So,   I put some 1/8-3/16 rope in the grove of the trim prior to installing it,  therefore when installed in the car, the trim would not flex and pull away from the windshield.  A bit of crazy glue to hold it in worked great.  The groove  I am talking about is where the inside of the curve meets the groove for the windshield.  Pictures to follow....  The installation process took 3 1/2 to  4 Hours to install.
73' TC Special

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,October 02, 2019, 07:20:56 PM »
Congratulations, Mikey! I think the next time I need to have my windshield replaced, I'll go your route. I had the only windshield installation company I could find to do the job to put my windshield in using his goo and an inexpensive plastic chrome trim and my old corners. It looks nice enough but next time I'll use the r.d. trim and corners and the butyl that you used.

I'm not familiar with that stuff so is the butyl in tape from or out of a tube?

Offline Mikey likes it!

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,October 02, 2019, 08:58:58 PM »
Butyl comes in tape form.  I will take pictures to explain the installation process
I believe the windshield sorta floats as the car flexes....   
« Last Edit: Wednesday,October 02, 2019, 09:01:15 PM by Mikey likes it! »
73' TC Special

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,October 03, 2019, 03:26:34 AM »
Congrats on getting your windshield in!

When I had mine installed a couple of months ago the trim was glued to the windshield and then the entire windshield with trim was glued to the body opening (I had a 2x4 propping up the roof so it wouldn’t flex). After the glue cured the entire install is very rigid. No flexing what so ever.

Do I understand that you are experiencing flexing of the body opening where the windshield is mounted?

Offline BDA

« Reply #7 on: Thursday,October 03, 2019, 05:47:54 AM »
Butyl comes in tape form.  I will take pictures to explain the installation process
I believe the windshield sorta floats as the car flexes....   

Great! Thanks!