Author Topic: TCS Steering Column Shroud  (Read 1065 times)

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
TCS Steering Column Shroud
« on: Monday,September 16, 2019, 11:19:39 AM »
For some reason, I am short of the fibreglass shroud that goes on the steering column around the indicator and wiper stalk switches.

I tried making one from sheet steel and nearly cut my finger in half on the cut metal edge, so Plan B was needed. (Finger currently wrapped with plaster and on the mend)

Armed with another shroud, I ventured into the largest  supermarket  I could find to get a plastic bottle the same shape and size as the shroud.

After walking up and down the aisles for about 30 minutes, it was between a 4 pint milk bottle, a 2 litre Listerine mouthwash bottle, and a 2 litre Regal Siprus Finest Mango Nectar bottle made from 14 mangoes.

The mangoes were the closest, the right size, but a dimple in the base.

The plan now is to make the base flat, cover with cling film, and then use the bottle as a mould with 3 or 4 layers of fibreglass matting to make the shroud. That gets cut to shape, a top hole drilled (45mm) and then sanded to get the rough edges smooth.

That then gets covered with thin sponge foam, and then a top layer of black Leathercloth.

Now someone will tell me they have a spare one for not much money.

Offline BDA

Re: TCS Steering Column Shroud
« Reply #1 on: Monday,September 16, 2019, 11:33:33 AM »
Sorry about your finger! I'm hoping it heals quickly!

Your project sounds very interesting! Those can tend to be a bit fragile. I doubt you'll find a real one but then I didn't think Certified would find his ashtray so it's always possible, but you might be able to make a few bucks selling nice reproductions of them!

On a slightly related topic, I had thought that the later Spitfire turn signal/horn/dimmer switch was the same as on the Europa but I just found out that it's not. The turn signal side come separately from the right hand stalk switches and I haven't seen the equivalent switches for the Spitfire so they could be completely different too. Do you know of a replacement?

Offline 4129R

« Reply #2 on: Monday,September 16, 2019, 11:55:34 AM »

Your project sounds very interesting! Those can tend to be a bit fragile. I doubt you'll find a real one but then I didn't think Certified would find his ashtray so it's always possible, but you might be able to make a few bucks selling nice reproductions of them!

On a slightly related topic, I had thought that the later Spitfire turn signal/horn/dimmer switch was the same as on the Europa but I just found out that it's not. The turn signal side come separately from the right hand stalk switches and I haven't seen the equivalent switches for the Spitfire so they could be completely different too. Do you know of a replacement?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-SPITFIRE-INDICATOR-STEERING-COLUMN-STALK-SWITCH-AS-SQB195-163SA-AAU7996/223335651452?epid=1623380962&hash=item33ffd7987c:g:reEAAOSw~5ZcROHx

194s and 195s seem to be the matched pair.

ANG sell them in the UK.

If the clamp to the column breaks (and they all seem to), I just drill a 2mm hole in the part just before the flexible bit starts, and use a self tapping screw to hold the switch tight to the column.

Offline GavinT

« Reply #3 on: Monday,September 16, 2019, 09:11:58 PM »

G'day, 4129R,

Take this for whatever it's worth (or not worth), but here's what I did.
Mine is a Type 54/ S2 that I converted to use column stalks from a Triumph 2500 (I think?).

1. Install stalks to steering column and wrap the whole thing in two layers of bubble wrap.

2. Wrap that with packing tape and apply fibreglass over the whole thing.

3. When cured, use body filler to form a coherent shape as desired.

4. Slit the shaped mass horizontally being careful not to damage wires etc. (the bubble wrap acts to provide clearance for all the internal components)

5. This then becomes your plug to make a two piece shroud.

6. Attach fixing points as needed and finish as desired.

Of course, only later did I discover that the TCS's had a pretty similar stalk arrangement . . oh well.  :FUNNY:

Offline dakazman

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,September 17, 2019, 08:41:55 AM »
4129 ,
  Is this what your trying to make?
I wrapped with plastic wrap and smeared some rtv on it waiting to see if it’s a good mold.
I can send it to you.
Dakazman

Offline gideon

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,September 17, 2019, 08:49:33 AM »
You can buy those things, not expensive either

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-708479

Offline dakazman

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,September 17, 2019, 09:02:03 AM »
That would definitely work better 😀

Online jbcollier

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,September 17, 2019, 09:26:29 AM »
Those are early shrouds.  The TCS has different ones:

http://www.lotus-europa.com/manuals/tcparts/h/index.htm

Offline 4129R

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,September 17, 2019, 10:40:59 AM »
4129 ,
  Is this what your trying to make?
I wrapped with plastic wrap and smeared some rtv on it waiting to see if it’s a good mold.
I can send it to you.
Dakazman

No, the later models had fatter ones.

See enclosed.

One piece, made from fibreglass not plastic, covered with foam and leathercloth. Held to the switch plate with just 1 self tapping screw, see hole in front just above the 45mm hole.
« Last Edit: Tuesday,September 17, 2019, 10:43:41 AM by 4129R »

Offline Kendo

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday,September 17, 2019, 05:12:45 PM »
Since you have a shroud to compare, why not take a mold from it? The vinyl wouldn't make it that much bigger.

Offline 4129R

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday,September 17, 2019, 11:18:03 PM »
Since you have a shroud to compare, why not take a mold from it? The vinyl wouldn't make it that much bigger.

This is the same size and shape, so I can use this and not mess up the other one.

Offline 4129R

« Reply #11 on: Friday,September 20, 2019, 08:35:35 AM »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-SPITFIRE-INDICATOR-STEERING-COLUMN-STALK-SWITCH-AS-SQB195-163SA-AAU7996/223335651452?epid=1623380962&hash=item33ffd7987c:g:reEAAOSw~5ZcROHx

194s and 195s seem to be the matched pair.

ANG sell them in the UK.

If the clamp to the column breaks (and they all seem to), I just drill a 2mm hole in the part just before the flexible bit starts, and use a self tapping screw to hold the switch tight to the column.

I have just bought Lucas part number SQB190 which is switch 164SA which is identical to the wash/wipe on the left side of the steering column for late TCS.

I also bought on eBay two complete wash/wipe and indicator assemblies from old Triumphs which had broken clamps and were silly cheap. Just drill a hole in the clamp before it splits to the clamp bit, and use a self tapping screw to locate it tight to the steering column. It seems every switch I had, had a broken clamp, so the plastic/bakelite or whatever they were made from, deteriorates with age (don't we all), and cracks in exactly the same place, where the bolt tightens the clamp.   

Offline BDA

« Reply #12 on: Friday,September 20, 2019, 09:51:57 AM »
Those clamps are a weak point but thankfully there are easy fixes.

I looked at my spare indicator/dimmer/horn stalk again (unfortunately, I threw away the tag that was on it so I don't know the Lucas part number) and noticed that it is not the same as what came on my car. The Triumph and MG switches that I found on the Interweb also looked similar but were not the same. Were your parts direct replacements or were they adaptable?

Offline 4129R

« Reply #13 on: Friday,September 20, 2019, 11:54:12 AM »
The thing that varies is the metal back plate to which the switches are screwed.

The shroud won't fit over the wrong metal plate, and different cars have different plates.

The part number I gave was the right switch bolted to the wrong back plate. 3 screws and it is a straight change over for both sides.

I have seen 3 versions of the metal back plate. 

Offline BDA

« Reply #14 on: Friday,September 20, 2019, 12:29:29 PM »
I thought the difference might be in the steel plate but wasn't sure it was feasible to mix and match. Rethinking it, it makes sense to make the switch parts modular. Thanks explaining that!