Author Topic: Clutch Lever Travel in TCS  (Read 1065 times)

Offline thehackmechanic

Clutch Lever Travel in TCS
« on: Thursday,April 04, 2019, 09:50:57 AM »
I'm about to drop the mated drivetrain into my '74 TCS. The clutch plate, disc, and throwout bearing are all new from RD. I thought I'd test the clutch before I install the drivetrain by moving the release lever. I'm a little surprised to find that about 2/3 of the motion of the lever is just play as the release bearing slides on the collar, and that only about 1/3 of the travel seems to engage the fingers on the plate. Is this normal?

Thanks.

--Rob Siegel
'74 TCS, 24k miles, up and running after 40 years
'72 BMW 2002tii
'72 BMW Bavaria
'73 BMW 3.0CSi
'79 BMW Euro 635CSi
'99 BMW Z3M Coupe
'99 BMW Z3
'96 Winnebago Rialta

Five books available on Amazon (www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=rob+siegel)

Offline thehackmechanic

Re: Clutch Lever Travel in TCS
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,April 04, 2019, 12:23:23 PM »
Just to clarify, I've shined a light into the inspection hole behind the starter, and verified what I see. The lever DOES move the throwout bearing into the clutch fingers at the end of its extent, and looks like it's moving them a fair amount. I'm just surprised that it's such a small portion of the lever's travel.
'74 TCS, 24k miles, up and running after 40 years
'72 BMW 2002tii
'72 BMW Bavaria
'73 BMW 3.0CSi
'79 BMW Euro 635CSi
'99 BMW Z3M Coupe
'99 BMW Z3
'96 Winnebago Rialta

Five books available on Amazon (www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=rob+siegel)

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,April 04, 2019, 03:42:04 PM »
Rob,

I would have responded earlier but I don't remember even worrying about it when I built my car - even odder since I don't have the standard tranny, engine, clutch, or flywheel! - and the last time I hooked up my clutch cable, I didn't pay close attention to how much play there was.

I don't have any specific information for you. I assume you have the correct flywheel, made sure the pin is properly installed in the clutch fork, the clutch release bearing carrier is properly mated to the fork, and clutch return spring is properly installed. The throwout bearing should have the rounded part against the clutch fingers. There is a bushing for the clutch arm cross shaft that if worn would give you more play. It sounds like you have all the correct parts so it should just go together.

There just aren't that many variables so my vote is to put your engine and tranny in the car. I think I can assume you've assembled it correctly (you could break it apart first just to make sure) so if there really is a problem, the only remedy is to reposition the clutch arm which would require cutting it off the cross shaft and rewelding it - or something else similarly drastic - so would proceed as though it's all good because that is the most likely situation. When you get the engine and tranny in, set up your clutch cable first before assembling the rear suspension. Get a friend to turn the engine and another to watch output shafts and test it again. If it still seems wrong and there is something you missed or there is some major problem, taking the tranny out now wouldn't be that big a deal and you can look again. You'd be playing the odds.

That's what I would do but there are smarter people than I who might have a better idea.

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #3 on: Friday,April 05, 2019, 02:37:29 AM »
Rob, For more help look up clutch adjustment in the service manual. It appears that the slack in the movement of the release leaver must be taken out. Adjust cable so the throwout bearing almost touches the release forks on the clutch.

Offline Roger

« Reply #4 on: Friday,April 05, 2019, 04:21:20 AM »
Your observation is correct, most of the travel is free play, but there's enough left to disengage the clutch.
However, I do find it a challenge t o get the cable adjustment right. If there's too much free play for the release bearing, then it can be difficult to get complete disengagement before running out of room, particularly because of the narrow footwell.

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #5 on: Friday,April 05, 2019, 08:56:24 AM »
I found that the workshop manual clutch adjustment, 0.10” free play is pretty close to ideal on my tcs.