Author Topic: Handbrake design issues  (Read 3291 times)

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: Handbrake design issues
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday,August 14, 2018, 10:55:26 AM »
but what do they teach learners with this new push button digital hand brake switch?
In this area, if you attempted to use your emergency brake during a hill start on a driving test, you would fail.

So what do they teach learners to do?

We call them hand brakes over here. Some call them parking brakes. in an emergency, they would not be much good.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday,August 15, 2018, 08:48:16 AM »
but what do they teach learners with this new push button digital hand brake switch?
In this area, if you attempted to use your emergency brake during a hill start on a driving test, you would fail.

So what do they teach learners to do?

We call them hand brakes over here. Some call them parking brakes. in an emergency, they would not be much good.
They teach them the proper hill start technique, I guess. No, on second thought, they don't teach them anything at all. I would guess that just about every Driver's Ed program and driver training outfit in North America since the early 60s (a few rare exceptions, of course) has used vehicles with automatic transmission. Most people learn to drive a manual from their father, friend, or in my case I learned to drive on a motorcycle, which made the transition a year later to my first car, a four speed manual, quite easy.

Almost all of my vehicles have been manually shifted and engaged, and I have never used an emergency brake on a hill start my entire life (and I live and operate in hilly territory), nor do I know anyone who ever has. With good technique there is virtually zero roll-back. Up until the 1980s pretty much every American car made (and including today's pick-up trucks) had an emergency brake that was operated with the left foot, to the left of the clutch. One certainly would have a hard time using that arrangement on a hill start.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Rosco5000

« Reply #17 on: Thursday,August 16, 2018, 01:37:59 PM »
I know when I was in driving school 20 years ago it was uncommon to learn on standard but I did.  When I went to hill start with the hand brake he told me off and said that I had to be able to do a no roll back hill start with out a hand brake.  Pretty much learned to hold a car on a hill with little to no gas, I think I am pretty good at it but a new car will always take you off guard.
Ross
1974 Europa Special
1969 Europa S2
1970 Lotus Elan +2
1978 Austin Mini - 1275, big brakes
1991 Ford Explorer - Lifted on 33s, custom lift and radius arms
2005 Chrysler 300C - chipped, lowered 22s
2011 Cadillac Escalade - Stage 3 cam, Headers, CAI, 2,600 stall converter

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #18 on: Thursday,August 16, 2018, 01:43:50 PM »
I know when I was in driving school 20 years ago it was uncommon to learn on standard but I did.  When I went to hill start with the hand brake he told me off and said that I had to be able to do a no roll back hill start with out a hand brake.  Pretty much learned to hold a car on a hill with little to no gas, I think I am pretty good at it but a new car will always take you off guard.
Ross

Manual gearbox or auto?

I want to know what they now teach you in a manual car with the push button handbrake.

I cannot think they teach learners to heel and toe.

Offline gideon

« Reply #19 on: Thursday,August 16, 2018, 02:20:46 PM »
I grew up, and learned to drive, in the UK.  My kids learned to drive in the USA, so I can speak about the differences.  In New Jersey, everybody takes the driving test in an automatic, on flat ground, away from any traffic.  It's a wholly inadequate test of driving ability.

If someone learns to drive a manual, it's probably after they passed the driving test and the instructor is a friend or relative. 

I taught my son to use the handbrake on hill starts.  My wife is German and she doesn't use the handbrake for hill starts, just footwork.  I guess it's a cultural thing. 

Another funny difference:  I taught my daughter to do the push-pull steering technique, with the aid of a dinner plate.  Her driving instructor told her she'd fail the test if she did it that way.  And if she used the steering technique her driving instructor taught, she'd fail the driving test in the UK.

And while I'm on the subject of cultural differences in driving, I have other British driving habits that don't translate.  For example, I check my mirrors before signalling.  My wife believes this is completely wrong, and you signal first and then figure out what is going on around you.  In New Jersey using the signals is regarded as a sign of weakness.  I'll also adjust my speed to let another car merge safely.  This often just causes confusion because the other driver doesn't expect me to let them out.  For safety's sake I have to become more ruthless :D.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #20 on: Thursday,August 16, 2018, 10:32:29 PM »
In New Jersey using the signals is regarded as a sign of weakness. 

:) 
Love that quote.....

Interesting comparison of local styles.Thinking about your wife I guess it doesn't really matter if you follow the UK  "Mirror/signal.manoeuvre"  that I was taught or  just "signal/mirror/move" that Germans do, as long as you check it's clear before moving out it doesn't really matter, does it ?  When you're in heavy traffic her method makes more sense, if you waited for a clear space before signalling then you might never move !

(still smiling at New Jersey.....)