Author Topic: A Magician Among Us  (Read 1536 times)

Offline LeftAngle

• I don't say much, but when I do, I don't say much.
    • 0659R Photos
A Magician Among Us
« on: Friday,June 07, 2013, 07:43:59 AM »
Due to needs specific to my 9 month journey into automotive customization, I've never had the opportunity to work with Richard Winter.  After spending hours upon hours in back rooms of automotive shops looking for the correct combination of bends and sizes to make the juncture between the vertical pipe and the inlet of my R16 cooling system all hook up correctly, I bit the bullet and ordered Banks' blue silicone hose package.  Having a modified engine with DCOE Webers, I knew the additional hoses would be mostly unusable, but I was hoping I could use the additional bits and pieces to cobble the solution together (turns out, I could).

I ordered the hoses on the 5th.

Yesterday morning, the 6th, around 10AM, my wife asked what I'd ordered that required a signature.  I couldn't think of anything, but went over to see what she had... You guessed it... My hoses had arrived.

Now I understand that the UK is 5 hours ahead of me, and the flight is, give or take, 7 hours (kind of a wash for the time difference)... But how on earth can I get something faster from the UK, which has to go through customs, than from Summit, which doesn't, and who's warehouse is in the next state over?

I'm impressed.

Richard was all nonchalant over the whole thing, and I think this is all standard fare for him, but omg, from now on, he's going to be my go-to source for those hard to get Europa parts.

If you read this forum, 5 Stars to you Richard!  :beerchug:

Bruce
Yes, it's work...   No, I don't mind it.

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
Re: A Magician Among Us
« Reply #1 on: Friday,June 07, 2013, 07:58:13 AM »
 :trophy:
He is the guru of the Europa world. I've bought from him for over 10 years. There is no better guy in the industry.
« Last Edit: Friday,June 07, 2013, 10:43:09 AM by LotusJoe »
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Friday,June 07, 2013, 09:52:40 PM »
That really is stunning service, it just goes to show that if you want to, you can. Living where we do I buy a lot mail order and service from companies does vary a lot, but next day to another continent is pretty good....

Brian

Offline CLW

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,June 16, 2013, 07:17:04 AM »
With Chris and I just finishing up on our Europa, I also need to recommend suppliers. We used Banks, Ray at RD and Dave Bean. Each was instrumental in having what we needed, offering advice and knowledge and shipping fast. You are correct, Banks gets parts to the USA quick! They even knew who TheKid#9 was! But a funny story. One of our shipments was held up in customs. Chris had to actually register to be an importer. I thought this interesting since at the time he wasn't even 18. But the funniest part is the questions asked about the shipment. Copied from the email from customs, with my responses to the right:
1.       What is the country of origin for all items? England
2.       What are items used for? Automobile Restoration
3.       What is the bonnet made of? Fiberglass Plastic Composite
4.       What is the windscreen made of? Actually this is a windscreen surround made of plastic
5.       What are the clips made of? Steel
6.       What is the seal made of? Felt
7.       What is the seat belt plate made of? Steel
8.       The attached U.S. Customs document will need to be completed and faxed or e-mailed back to me.

I received the following follow up:
Please provide the specific country of origin. Also on # 6 we will need to know what the seals are made  of.
I responded to their satisfaction- Great Britain and wool.

Wow!

We have also order parts from SJ for Chris's M100. They arrived fast also.

The aftermarket Lotus community, including all the individuals we bought parts from and have become friends with over the last two years, is alive and well!!

Clure

Offline LeftAngle

• I don't say much, but when I do, I don't say much.
    • 0659R Photos
« Reply #4 on: Thursday,June 20, 2013, 04:25:03 PM »
So far, everyone I've worked with has treated me with top shelf handling as well.  I'd like to add another straight-arrow name to your list: Richard at ProSource Glass International.  Ray from RD sent me over to him to get my windshield.  I'm not ready just yet to order one (no place to store it), but Richard has me set up for August/September and sees no problems.
Yes, it's work...   No, I don't mind it.

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #5 on: Thursday,June 20, 2013, 09:44:01 PM »
New windscreens are available?
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #6 on: Friday,June 21, 2013, 02:06:34 AM »
Every once in a while Pro Source will post it's wares on Ebay... or you can contact them directly.They are top notch, as I had purchased a new windshield for 3307 some time back. The price was $400 and an extra $100 for a wodden shipping box. The glass manufactured by Pilkington was shipped directly, with no problems encountered. ld 

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #7 on: Friday,June 21, 2013, 05:16:04 AM »
New windscreens are available?
What he said...
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor