Author Topic: Backing up anyone?  (Read 430 times)

Offline jbcollier

Backing up anyone?
« on: Monday,September 05, 2016, 12:59:52 PM »
I fit a modern receiver to my Europa, not so I could pick out the subtle intertwining of harp and voice with my favourite Mary O'Hara albums -- I think death metal would work though, or perhaps they have "shouted" books on tape? -- but so I could get a back-up camera.  It's a Kenwood KIV-BT901 and it is discontinued now but it is a rare single DIN receiver with an LCD screen pre-wired for a back-up camera.  What can I say?  It works as advertised.  Select reverse and it comes on giving you a fighting chance of parallel parking -- not too close to the curb, mind, or your passenger is hooped.

YMMV

Offline jbcollier

Re: Backing up anyone?
« Reply #1 on: Monday,September 05, 2016, 01:03:42 PM »
For those who might want to know, though the iPhone 3 is the latest listed as comparable in the manual, it worked fine with my iPhone SE hooked with both the USB and the audio jack.

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Monday,September 05, 2016, 01:36:51 PM »
That sounds really nice! Your car keeps getting better and better! Where did you get the Kenwood?

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Monday,September 05, 2016, 03:35:27 PM »
I think it was one of the first things I bought shortly after buying the Europa in 2012.  I sat in the shell and immediately thought, "I'll need a back up camera."

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Monday,September 05, 2016, 07:06:58 PM »
Good that you got it when you did because I don't think they are available at all. Sometimes, even if something's been discontinued, somebody will have it on ebay. Not that!

In case somebody here is interested in following your lead, I did find this on Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/Package-KD-AV300--Dash-Rockville-Adjustable/dp/B00NN2S90A/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1473127312&sr=1-2&keywords=single+din+backup+camera

It's by JVC and it should be good in spite of the lukewarm reviews (there were only two - a 5 and a 1 star).