Author Topic: My new steering rack's dirty little secret  (Read 1394 times)

Offline ezuskin

My new steering rack's dirty little secret
« on: Thursday,October 15, 2015, 10:05:46 PM »
I removed original steering rack 3 years ago as it had gotten loose feeling to the point of being scary. Fooled around for a couple years and decided I did not have skills to determine if it was worth rebuilding so took it to reputable specialty shop who confirmed rack was too worn to reuse. We then decided to order one of those new spitfire racks and look at adding extensions but as many have discovered there is nothing to thread our extensions to between rack and tie rod.

Their next suggestion was to add the extensions between the tie rod and tie rod end like in the S1 and early S2(?). I was, at first appalled, at the prospect of additional bump steer due to arc of steering not matching arc of suspension and the subsequent bump steer. I did authorize them to have machine shop make extensions from specs of early Europas. I installed rack, took it for alignment and although  I've only driven it 20-30 miles it seems pretty sweet. Steering is so sensitive to input I might want to put my original larger steering wheel back until I adjust and I did get the original ratio rack.
Eddie
Europa TC
1972 2068R

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: My new steering rack's dirty little secret
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,October 15, 2015, 10:39:19 PM »
Now that's an interesting idea, thanks for posting. My rack is ok at the moment with only a little play in the end support bush but it's original and at some point is going to need a new one. Can you post details of exactly what you bought and the spacer dimensions for the day it's needed ?  Pictures would be good to !

Brian

Offline buzzer

« Reply #2 on: Friday,October 16, 2015, 01:29:11 AM »
Interesting solution. Didn't you try swapping out the extensions and stop serves from your old rack? I used a Spitfire rack and swapped the sleeves and extensions and refitted the new tie rods to the extensions (some re-shimming of the ball joints may be required).

Dave
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline ezuskin

« Reply #3 on: Friday,October 16, 2015, 05:21:52 AM »
I had bought a used spitfire rack but was told the rack wasn't much better than mine and the new spitfire racks made in Brazil are a totally different design where the rack connects to tie rod ball.
Eddie
Europa TC
1972 2068R

Offline buzzer

« Reply #4 on: Friday,October 16, 2015, 06:57:42 AM »
Ok, not heard that one, as it all worked OK on the one I converted. guess it's down to whether it is an overhauled rack or a totally new one. Mine was an overhauled rack

Dave
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK