Author Topic: Garage Lift for Europa  (Read 7102 times)

Offline buzzer

Re: Garage Lift for Europa
« Reply #15 on: Friday,October 09, 2015, 03:07:28 PM »
I've got one of these.
http://www.hamercarlift.com

Hamer car lift, but not sure you can get them in the states.
Very small profile, portable, versatile and not even requires bolting down. BUT is a manual action to lift so no good if fast regular use is required. 
It's the only one that I could get to fit in my garage for stacking and working on. And I can set it up in 2 widths one for the lists and one for the Range Rover

Dave
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline HealeyBN7

« Reply #16 on: Friday,October 09, 2015, 04:07:08 PM »

Dean, it's nice to know that you have no issues lifting the Europa with your 2 post lift. Which brand did you get?

Joji Tokumoto
Fallbrook, Ca

Joji,

I searched all over for a small 2 post made in USA lift.  When you peel back the BS marketing, the reality is there are none.  So, once I resigned myself to a foreign lift, I found the folks at Greg Smith were the most reasonable and knowledgeable.   The thing I liked about GS is they stock all the component parts.

I bought the Atlas BP8000.  I admit that I repainted using a two part epoxy grey it because I was a bit anal that a big modern BLUE piece of shop equipment would dominate the shop.    It doesn't seem to really mind a bit when I load the Range Rover on it. I do, as it is too frequent:)

When I bought mine it was $1,300.  It weighs around 1,300 pounds.  For what it is, a dollar a pound I rationalized was quite reasonable. 

Here is a link:

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-BP8000

Dean

PS:  Yes I am lifting directly on the fiberglass with the rubber lift pads.  I position them inboard a bit to catch the vertical load either behind the front wheel well or right in front of the rear.  They are far enough inboard that there does not appear to be any strain on the lower rocker lip, floor nor fender sides.  I considered making larger lift pads, but it doesn't seem to be necessary. 

Offline BDA

« Reply #17 on: Friday,October 09, 2015, 04:34:29 PM »
Good purchase, Joji! How did you get a discount? When I clicked on the link, it says it was $1500. It's too bad someone doesn't sell one for LBCs that have a capacity of 4000 lbs instead of 8000.

Offline 460384

« Reply #18 on: Thursday,October 15, 2015, 08:21:23 AM »
A friend has a mid-rise lift - MR6K-38 Mid-Rise Lift with specs as follows: 6000 lb max, 120 volts. each runway is 18" wide and 33.5" width between runways.  Total width of the lift is 69.5".  Runways are 57" long without ramps and about 76" with ramps attached.  It's lifting height (38"), which allows plenty of clearance when removing the engine and sub-frame. The lift comes with four rubber blocks to place under the car to make it higher. The entire lift collapses to 4" so it's easy for a low profile car to roll on and off. The lock release could be operated from a portable air tank - keep the pressure at no more than 40-45 psi. It is around $1,800.

Tom/Colorado

Offline Lotusjps

« Reply #19 on: Thursday,October 15, 2015, 08:43:55 AM »
I've been really happy with my Direct Lift 4 post.  So nice to be able to stand under the car to work/inspect.  Plus the bridge jack makes life much easier for pulling the wheels.

Offline 460384

« Reply #20 on: Thursday,October 15, 2015, 12:16:16 PM »
What is the footprint of your 4-post Direct Lift from post to post (width and length)? Price with the jack?
Tom/Colorado

Offline buzzer

« Reply #21 on: Friday,October 16, 2015, 01:34:06 AM »
Thats a nice garage! love the chequered floor  8) 8)
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #22 on: Friday,October 16, 2015, 01:49:35 AM »
I've got one of these.
http://www.hamercarlift.com

Hamer car lift, but not sure you can get them in the states.
Very small profile, portable, versatile and not even requires bolting down. BUT is a manual action to lift so no good if fast regular use is required. 
It's the only one that I could get to fit in my garage for stacking and working on. And I can set it up in 2 widths one for the lists and one for the Range Rover
Dave

I'm a bit late to this party but I've just been looking at that website you posted.  I've not really got the space for a permanent 4 post lift in the outbuilding I use most, but something like that looks as if it could be dismantled & stacked when not needed ?  So I guess the main question is, if it's entirely manual how tough is it to raise a car up, is it just like trolley jacks or do you end up gasping for breath ? 

A secondary question, do you have the extended version that they show for storage, that could be quite handy for me and free up some space in the garage when not needed in my workshop.

Brian

Offline buzzer

« Reply #23 on: Friday,October 16, 2015, 07:10:03 AM »
ON how tough it is to lift. not tough for the weight of a Europa, easier than a trolley jack.It just takes 10-15 min or so to lift or let down and walking round to each corner to raise or lower (about 10-15 cycles).  I would think that for a range rover it is much tougher and more like a trolley jack as it can take 2.5 tonnes
Yes it can be dismantled and stacked when not in use, but it is very efficient on space. My garage is tight for 2 cars side by side and the impact in minimal. it can be made or adapted for an exact width very easily.
mine is the std length, but for storage a couple sheets of ply on the ramps would do I would think.
If you have space a second hand standard type 4 post is the best bet but I could not get anything near to fit. I looked at 4 post, 2 post and single post lifts but none would fit and cope with the vehicles I want it to.
The good thing to is that I can move it about easily, when down it takes 5 min to dismantle, there are only 8 bolts to take out.
Dave,

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #24 on: Friday,October 16, 2015, 08:58:39 AM »
Thanks Dave, it's sounding very positive.

I do have a garage pit and although it's a great time saver for things like exhausts or tightening suspension under load,  it's not always convenient for every job.  I guess about half the time I end up jacking the car in the air and getting axle stands out, and that arrangement just struck me as "big axle stands" with a bit more versatility. 

The fact you don't need to bolt it into concrete and can move it about is a big advantage. I could see me using it for jobs in the summer and then storing it away when not in use, even perhaps "stacking" the cars in the garage over winter when I tend not to use them.

Brian

Offline buzzer

« Reply #25 on: Monday,October 19, 2015, 05:58:23 AM »
Well I have them stacked at the moment, the Westfield on the top and I can get the Europa out to work on.

Dave,

Offline kiwiokie

« Reply #26 on: Sunday,September 04, 2016, 10:40:44 AM »
After reading all the comments on lifting and much deliberation on how best to use my scissor lift with my Europa I concluded that 2x4's layed along the full length of the rocker panels (sills) should spread the load enough.  Worked a treat.  No frightening cracking or creaking noises from the fiberglass.

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #27 on: Monday,September 05, 2016, 02:46:18 PM »
Saw this single post lift at the NEC classic car show last year.  I was very impressed.  The whole thing folds up and stands in a corner when not needed. There were several other interesting options

Offline buzzer

« Reply #28 on: Tuesday,September 06, 2016, 03:57:31 AM »
Yes they do look good but only if you have the space.  watch out for the clearance for driving over the feet and the length of the arms to pick up on the europa chassis.
I did not have enough width or height in my garage to be able to use one.
Dave,