Author Topic: Vitaloni Mirrors  (Read 336 times)

Offline Triton

Vitaloni Mirrors
« on: Saturday,September 23, 2023, 12:54:40 PM »
I have a pair of Vitaloni  California style  door mirrors on my Special but i find the passenger side one  useless .  I was thinking of trying Vitaloni  Sebring style ones.  Has anybody fit them and are they ok or is there another style which is better.  Thanks  Stuart....

Online 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: Vitaloni Mirrors
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,September 23, 2023, 01:59:55 PM »
File the plastic cup holding the spring and mirror to get the correct angle, about 45'.

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,September 23, 2023, 02:02:47 PM »
TCs, and maybe S2s were originally fitted with Sebring mirrors. The one on the passenger side was useless. At the Lotus distributor in New Orleans told me the passenger side mirror was for aesthetics. Unless you have a mount that holds the mirror off the door, the passenger side mirror will remain useless.

I suspect that the California mirror mounted on passenger side is not located in the proper place and that properly mounted, it would be useful.

Offline Clifton

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,September 23, 2023, 02:56:04 PM »
Any mirror with flat glass on the passenger side is IMO useless. Look for convex glass. Some Sebring mirrors have it.

Offline Gary t

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,September 23, 2023, 05:12:00 PM »
Sure flat mirror on pax side could better, but certainly are better than nothing.
Gary Toffelmire
54/1173

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #5 on: Saturday,September 23, 2023, 11:15:51 PM »
I've got California copies on my car and so far they've been the best I've found. I've had Sebring style, mounted almost directly on the door and the driver's side was ok, the passenger side, as BDA says, just there as an ornament.  I've also tried the stainless "bullet" style on a pedestal which does allow a lot of movement with the mirror, especially if you modify the internals. They were ok in terms of view angle but they are small mirrors compared to the California ones.

Basically you need a mirror on a pedestal to get the angle of view across the cabin and the longer the pedestal the better angle you get. The downside is vibration and movement, I've locked mine in place to stop them drooping on our lousy, bumpy roads. To get the angle I spent a bit of time with duck tape holding them in various places, markers behind the car and just trying it. Although they look approximately the same there's a difference in the mounting plate and pedestal angles on either side.

A convex mirror is better but due to the viewing angle from inside the near side is never going to be as good as a modern car and it's (generally) larger mirrors. 

I think some of the modern motorcycle or racing car mirrors would work but I'm not so keen on the looks on an old car.  Quite honestly I only ever use the nearside when I'm reversing in or out of the garage, I never bother trying to use it when driving on roads.

Brian

Offline BDA

« Reply #6 on: Sunday,September 24, 2023, 07:02:59 AM »
I have “flag” style mirrors that are bigger than the California style (exactly like these though I assure you I didn’t pay nearly what the seller is changing https://www.ebay.com/itm/225492221562). They are mounted in a good position and the passenger side mirror is useful but I’ve gotten used to relying on my inside mirror now that I’ve gotten a convex tinted clip on like this one (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393705796313).

Offline LeftAngle

• I don't say much, but when I do, I don't say much.
    • 0659R Photos
« Reply #7 on: Monday,September 25, 2023, 10:35:27 AM »
My mirrors are similar to Brian’s, only more rectangular.  The driver’s side is useful, when it is properly aligned… and with a 1.5” diameter wide angle mirror at the corner.  The stalks eventually vibrate it out of alignment but it’s easy to reach.  The passenger side is useless and only there for looks, and why I’ve added a wide angle camera under it. 😁
Yes, it's work...   No, I don't mind it.

Offline Triton

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,September 26, 2023, 10:28:06 AM »
I have filed the plastic cup in the mirrors to give me more angle on the glass as  4129R suggested.  This has worked and i  now have a better view. I am going to get a concave mirror for the passenger side as members suggest. Once i am satisfied with the view i will conjure up a way to make them a firm fit.  Thanks for all the help and suggestions.. Stuart..

Online 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday,September 26, 2023, 12:55:35 PM »
I have done 7 passenger door mirrors now, and they are as god as you can get from a mirror that size.

Alex in Norfolk