Author Topic: Refinished Calipers  (Read 163 times)

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
Refinished Calipers
« on: Saturday,May 13, 2023, 01:04:19 PM »
Yeah, I know one is different (at least the outer half...not going to worry about it.  Can't see them both at the same time, you know?) than the other.  Same inside half.  Something got changed out somewhere along the way.  Have cleaned up the corrosion on the piston bores, new pistons slide in and out just nicely, new seals, stainless pistons, new quad seal for between the two halves...But, finished cleaning up the calipers, dropped the closure plate from the front of the buggy so I can get in there to replumb the front circuit, and proceeding on rebuilding the front suspension with fresh ball joints, rebuilt trunnions (picked up a grease gun and filled it with MT90 so I can lube the trunnions properly), fresh brake pads (the disks don't need to be swapped out; they're within a couple thou of the brand new ones I have on the shelf...one less thing to change), repacked front bearings...that's for today.  Still have to pull the top pins and get the old armstrong shockers out of there and install the spax and shorter spring units, and replace the sway bar.  But, that's for this week after work in the evening...

One step forward...
« Last Edit: Saturday,May 13, 2023, 01:06:36 PM by Bryan Boyle »
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Offline Pfreen

Re: Refinished Calipers
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,May 13, 2023, 01:37:55 PM »
Nice work.