Author Topic: Early S1 Window Hinges (brakets) and Latches  (Read 153 times)

Offline DreamsOfA47

Early S1 Window Hinges (brakets) and Latches
« on: Wednesday,March 15, 2023, 06:46:49 PM »
Hello all,

I know the early Type 46s and Type 47s had one piece lexan side windows that were hinged at the front to operate like vents. Does anyone know if anywhere or anyone has the correct latches and hinges available? Or does anyone know if they were also used on any other make and model of car? I know Lotus used a lot from different make's parts bins but I've never seen anything else like them.

I know Kelvedon Lotus used to sell the hinges but they've been out of stock and they didn't respond to my emails so I'm trying to find any other source

Offline jbcollier

Re: Early S1 Window Hinges (brakets) and Latches
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,March 15, 2023, 09:18:10 PM »
Early 46s had fixed windows.  Then a pop-out/fall-out window.  47 did have the window set up like rear vent window.  Hinge is just a steel plate with well nuts.  Latch is just a vent window latch like the ones popular in the 60s and 70s.

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,March 16, 2023, 06:53:42 AM »
There's been a few threads on the 47 type windows, but for some reason I can't find the most recent one.  Anyways, here's a few links:

http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=497.315

http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=4996.msg54592#msg54592

Offline DreamsOfA47

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,March 16, 2023, 07:25:39 AM »
JB your breadth of knowledge of these cars continues to astound me and I'm always thankful for you teaching me more and more! I didn't realize that the really early cars had fixed windows. I'm still on my quest to make a proper type 47 replica so the vent windows still are my goal. Aside from my desire to have something that functions like a 47 on principle, it seems like the vent windows would be a great addition to climate control with the forced air ventilation.

RoddyMac those threads are exactly what I've been looking for but (due to my ineptitude) couldn't seem to find! I saw you used some piano hinges? How have those been holding up? Also its great to finally have a make and model fo rtes original window latches, but as you did I was planning on using VW parts in the same way you did.

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,March 16, 2023, 07:45:51 AM »
So far there's been no issues with the hinges, though if I were to do it again I would probably just copy what Lotus did.  The hinges and brackets were a bit finicky to make, a simple strip of metal with few bends would be much easier to fabricate. 

Offline DreamsOfA47

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,March 16, 2023, 07:54:12 AM »
That's really helpful to know! Thankfully there are ample pictures of the front hinges floating around so I think I can whip something similar up with some string steel and pliers. I also did a cursory look for some Ford Anglia Estate latches and they're almost nonexistent! They also seem very similar to Mk1 Cortina rear window latches but those are also very hard to find. So VW latches will likely be the way to go in the same vein as yours.
« Last Edit: Thursday,March 16, 2023, 08:05:09 AM by DreamsOfA47 »