Author Topic: Another rear hub assembly thread  (Read 134 times)

Offline 69merc

Another rear hub assembly thread
« on: Thursday,March 24, 2022, 08:36:49 AM »
This pertains to a 74 TCS ( both bearings the same size).  I’ve searched and read the rear hub assembly threads.  I have two questions before I assemble mine.
1. Do you assemble both bearings in the hub first and then “pull” the shaft through with some form of homemade puller?
2. If so, since both bearings have the same 30mm bore, do you have to pull the shaft through the first bearing (then the shaft becomes “loose” again) and then pull the shaft into both bearings for its final resting place?

This is what I envision happening.  Please advise if I’m not understanding this correctly.
Thanks
Jim

Offline jbcollier

Re: Another rear hub assembly thread
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,March 24, 2022, 08:50:29 AM »
1)  Yes, both bearings, seal and spacer in place and the upright installed in the radius arm.

2)  Haven't done a TC myself, not sure how "loose" it will become but there will definitely be harder and easier times as you pull/push it through.  DO NOT USE A HAMMER.  A press works great if the radius arm is off the car.

Offline 69merc

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,March 24, 2022, 09:06:13 AM »
Thanks for the info!  I do have a press and the arm is off the car, but not sure what to press “on” since the axle is already attached to the stub shaft.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,March 24, 2022, 11:38:38 AM »
That would make it tough.  Either disable the outboard joint or make up a puller.