Author Topic: Sparking plugs  (Read 2396 times)

Offline surfguitar58

Re: Sparking plugs
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday,March 14, 2018, 08:04:50 PM »
Like I said, every day is a lesson. Certified's observations about avgas just saved me my valves and about $2/gallon of fuel. I will revisit this discussion when I do my Himalayan Europa/Lycoming conversion (kidding!). Thanks BDA for the solid advice.
Surf
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline BDA

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday,March 14, 2018, 08:13:56 PM »
Everyday is a lesson for me too! There are a lot really sharp people here. I appreciate them all!

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #17 on: Wednesday,March 14, 2018, 08:19:18 PM »
Yup, +1 on not using aviation fuels.  They are not formulated for auto engines at all.  Besides, lead is nasty stuff.  It’s good it’s not in wide use anymore.  Much as we rag about today’s fuels, deservedly so in some cases, it sure burns a lot cleaner than the “good” stuff we had in the 60s.

Unless you are seriously racing, just tune to whatever no/low-ethanol, high-octane fuel you can moderately easily access.  I run over 10:1 compression on pump fuel.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #18 on: Thursday,March 15, 2018, 08:50:29 AM »
Thanks for the lesson on av gas, Mr Certified. A very interesting commentary, indeed.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline BDA

« Reply #19 on: Thursday,March 03, 2022, 12:24:16 PM »
Rejuvenating this thread because I had a recent experience that might help folks.

Having the single aim to save money, I bought some NGK plugs from a seller on ebay (quickdog-autopart at a very good price). Sometime later, I remembered that counterfeit plugs were a potential problem so I bought another set from a local Advance Auto Parts store figuring that whether or not the ebay plugs were conterfeit, I'd at least have one good set of plugs and if they were counterfeit, then I should be able to get some sort of refund.

I looked at several sites and videos explaining all the ways to tell if an NGK plug is counterfeit. No doubt some are valid such as poor printing quality on the insulator but many probably were not such as printing on the box. The ebay plugs had some possible evidence of being counterfeit and quickdog-autopart is based in China where most of the counterfeit plugs come from (whoda thunk!).  but I didn't feel certain enough to accuse someone of selling fakes so I called NGK tech support (in the US: 877-473-6767; I expect there is a similar number for other countries). The NGK lady asked me the lot number stamped on the hex of the plug and my lot numbers were good. "Is the lot number determinative?" I asked. "Yes", she said. I asked her about some of my other concerns, for example:

The picture of the spark plug on the box has a blue cast to it where other NGK boxes were more true to color.
The box says they are made in Japan but the plugs had a stamping that it was made in the US with Japanese parts.
The ground electrode had an angle to it where some said it was supposed to be a curved piece.

She said none of that mattered. For example the boxes were printed in Japan and the plugs were made in the US.

So I dodged a bullet. The ebay seller had sold me genuine NGK plugs at a VERY good price. Would I buy from  him again? I don't know. He was certainly honest with me so I have no reason to believe that he wouldn't be honest in the future. On the other hand, I might figure the extra price I paid at Advance Auto would be worth not having to worry about them at all.

If you got your plugs at Amazon or ebay (counterfeits are commonly bought from them) and you have any concerns, I strongly advise you to call NGK at the number I gave above. The websites and videos that try to explain how to tell a fake are well meaning but they are not a substitute for finding out directly from NGK.

Be careful! A counterfeit plug can cause a lot of very expensive damage to your engine - especially if your drive your baby hard.
« Last Edit: Thursday,March 03, 2022, 05:29:42 PM by BDA »

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #20 on: Thursday,March 03, 2022, 04:29:28 PM »
Wow, I didn't know people made counterfeit sparkplugs :o
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline BDA

« Reply #21 on: Thursday,March 03, 2022, 06:17:47 PM »
I was surprised when I found out too. I would have expected that the cost of manufacturing fake plugs that looked like real plugs would not be enough less to make sense to a crook but I was apparently wrong.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #22 on: Thursday,March 03, 2022, 07:48:20 PM »
I run Bosch W5DP plugs in my Renault crossflow.  They work very well in situations where you want a cold plug for high speed and are having fouling problems when bumbling along.  I used to use them in high-hp Healey engines as well.

Offline BDA

« Reply #23 on: Thursday,March 03, 2022, 08:12:44 PM »
I gradually migrated to NGK 6 heat range. That's pretty warm compared to the Bosch 5s you're running (according to the heat range cross reference chart I have - see attachment), but it is what most of the Elan folks seem to use. They seem to work pretty well but as warm as they are, they still seem to foul. Maybe the Bosch is a bit more flexible in the heat range department then the NGK. It might be worth a shot.
« Last Edit: Thursday,March 03, 2022, 08:33:42 PM by BDA »

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #24 on: Friday,March 04, 2022, 07:36:36 AM »
The W5DP plugs are special platinum plugs designed for the early Porsche Turbo.  They are not cheap, usually $35 a plug.

Since you know your NGK plug is good for high speed work, why not try an iridium version?  I have used them successfully in hopped-up 2 stroke engines.

Offline BDA

« Reply #25 on: Friday,March 04, 2022, 08:08:14 AM »
If I’m tight enough to buy plugs on eBay, I think I’ll pass on the $35 plugs!
Yep, the NGKs I’m using are iridium. My BDA takes the same plugs as the TC. In case anybody’s interested I’m using BKR6EIX.
« Last Edit: Sunday,March 06, 2022, 06:48:19 PM by BDA »