Author Topic: What style antenna to use!  (Read 959 times)

Offline dakazman

What style antenna to use!
« on: Tuesday,April 16, 2019, 04:55:53 PM »
 After many builds have patched the original hole in the front right fender..., What type antenna and where to install? The new shark fin or bee sting style , whip or go with a retractable? I have gone thru many pictures of an original antenna but could not find one . 
  Another idea would just mount an IPhone and hope for the best, or while installing a Dinn radio is it’s Bluetooth capability and a backup camera system that still needs and antenna.
Dakazman

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
Re: What style antenna to use!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,April 16, 2019, 06:35:12 PM »
Dakazman...

My solution was to keep the original collapsible style and tuck it under the dash...along the fresh air vent conduit.

I never listen anyway...for me the radio just fills up that space in the dash. 

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,April 16, 2019, 06:47:58 PM »
I originally had an self extending antenna but I think it broke so I got a 16" flexible rubber antenna (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O8WIS0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1). 

Offline TCS4605R

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,April 16, 2019, 06:49:04 PM »
I mounted my antenna under the front cover - no antenna visible on the outside of the car.  The coaxial end of the antenna was mounted in a hole I drilled just above the passenger side air intake.  The top of the antenna was mounted above the driver side air intake with the antenna bowed from left to right just under the front cover.  Sorry, no pictures as my re-assembly hasn’t gotten that far.

Tom
74 TCS - 4605R

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,April 17, 2019, 02:12:33 AM »
I never install a radio or antenna in my sports cars. I filled the antenna hole in my Europa body and got a radio blank plate for the dash.

For weekend drives around the area I live in the sound of the engine is all I want to hear.

When I have longer drives (like driving to Ohio and back for LOG38) I use my iPhone and a self powered amplified speaker. They are wireless, can be used for days without recharging and can be placed anywhere in the car. My current speaker of choice is made by Ultimate Ears. It’s the medium size round looking tube.

I’m an audio nut. The quality of the sound is important to me. You won’t be disappointed.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,April 17, 2019, 04:56:32 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,April 17, 2019, 04:42:01 AM »
I installed this hidden antenna.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hidden-Antenna-Radio-Stereo-AM-FM-Stealth-for-Vehicle-Car-Truck-Motorcycle-Boat/392143912352?epid=28011362565&hash=item5b4d993da0:g:O1cAAOSwohVcIvUA

It works ok.  My radio also accepts bluetooth so you can use your mobile phone and accept phone calls.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,April 17, 2019, 05:56:00 AM »
Thanks guys.
  I went with the hidden antenna. I didn’t really want to deviate from an original look but after a lot of thought,   I think it would be a good fit for me. I have retractable antennas in my other cars and replace them , vette and van , more than I use them. Filling the hole I cut in the one finished dash can be done but I made another with no cutout, which is still raw wood with gauge holes cutouts only.

Dakazman

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,April 17, 2019, 05:56:36 AM »
+1, no antenna.

I fit a single DIN tuner with an aux connector and a back-up camera (VERY USEFUL !!).  I used the above hidden antenna.  FM and aux sound was great!  AM a bit noisy with the engine running.  As long as you were sitting in the car and not moving that is.  Moving, it sounded like crap as a Europa is very noisy at speed.  I ripped all that out.  Fit a rally car intercom system with an aux connector and I use aviation headsets with noise cancelling.  Awesome now.

I then fit a GPS with a back-up camera as that feature is very, very useful in a Europa.

Online Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,April 17, 2019, 08:48:36 AM »

I never listen anyway...for me the radio just fills up that space in the dash.
Yup, me too. I'm a huge music enthusiast, but in 21,000 miles of Europa driving the radio has only been on for about 20 minutes, and that was when a girlfriend turned it on during a short drive. The Twin Cam is all the music I need. Indeed, I frequently go for a drive for the sole purpose of listening to it.

I will likely pull my radio when I redo my dash panel, though it might be handy to keep for drive in movies.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,April 17, 2019, 10:16:27 AM »
" though it might be handy to keep for drive in movies."
Yeah, A Europa is a bit small for much else...

(I've got a rubber whip antenna. Will prolly lose it too, as others mention)