Author Topic: Oil Pressure Gauge Pipe Route - Your Thoughts  (Read 680 times)

Online 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Oil Pressure Gauge Pipe Route - Your Thoughts
« on: Friday,April 05, 2019, 08:25:28 AM »
I am just fitting a new plastic pipe for the oil pressure gauge from the TC block to the back of the dashboard.

I bought a 6ft pipe not knowing if it were long enough. 5ft is normal, 7ft rare and expensive.

I am thinking of running the pipe attached to the loom on top of the tunnel, [not through the black hole in the chassis], and then through the rear bulkhead where the loom goes, which is right next to where it connects to the block. This seems to me to be by far the shortest route.

My questions are:-

1) Why did Lotus not use this route?
2) Can anyone thing of any good reason why the oil pressure pipe should not go along this shortest route?

My only thoughts are that when the car is complete, to replace that pipe, the route through the chassis is far easier, but any new pipe could be run there leaving the one I am now putting in, where it is, cable tied to the wiring loom.

Offline RoddyMac

Re: Oil Pressure Gauge Pipe Route - Your Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: Friday,April 05, 2019, 04:16:41 PM »
I don't see any issues.  I ran my oil pressure line in the same spot, down the tunnel with the wiring loom.  The only thing that might be an issue is connecting it to the motor when the body is in place, though I can't recall where the oil pressure take off is on the Twin Cam (even though I have a TC sitting on the bench waiting to be put back together). 

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,April 06, 2019, 01:27:39 AM »
I ran my new oil pressure stainless steel braided line thru the chassis. At the engine it connects to a fitting on the right side of the block. I had thought about a different route using the wiring loom as the potential location but figured the factory boys must have had a reason not to do that.

Offline Gary t

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,April 06, 2019, 06:55:58 AM »
I like the braided line much better than the plastic one. Plastic pressure lines in the cockpit scare me.
Gary
Gary Toffelmire
54/1173