Author Topic: eBay Aluminum Radiator from China  (Read 10684 times)

Offline BDA

Re: eBay Aluminum Radiator from China
« Reply #30 on: Sunday,October 18, 2020, 01:30:24 PM »
The one thing that JB didn't mention is to check that your cooling system is burped. Get the water hot enough that it circulates through the radiator and you open your heater valve, then open the petcock on the top of the radiator to let all the air out. I assume you did that so this is for the benefit of others.

There are two ways to deal with the fan. You can get a thermal switch that fits the threads in your radiator and wire it as though it were the otter switch that came in the car or you can get a fan controller. I did both. Some parts suppliers have books that actually give the specs (threads, temperature range, etc) for the fan switches. If you have a NAPA store handy, they are good for that. For whatever reason (probably because of my own stupidity) I couldn't get the thermal switch to work so I got a fan controller. It  has a thermocouple that slides easily between the fins and tubes of the radiator. The controller allows you to adjust when you want the fan to come on and includes wiring to allow you to override the switch to turn it on manually. I got it on Amazon for about $50 (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CN4XZI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

I have found that  if there is air going through the radiator, the fan is not needed.

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #31 on: Sunday,October 18, 2020, 02:11:27 PM »
You probably know already, but you might not be able to run the fan straight through a new fan thermostat (too much current), like the original wiring did with the otter switch. You will probably need to use it to switch a relay. That's what I plan to do. It does mean you can also use the relay via a fan override switch as well and keep the current through the fan override wiring low too I will be feeding power to a fuse/relay box in the front compartment from the Ammeter as I will also be replacing the headlamps with ones that take H4 bulbs at the same time, with a relay for each high and low beam. I'll be using 6 relays in total in the front compartment, 4 for lights, 1 for horn and 1 for radiator fan.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday,October 20, 2020, 11:46:35 AM »
A couple of comments about flow through the radiator. For those driving unrestored cars or older restorations, it is worth checking for a build-up of debris (bug carcasses, dirt & silt, and other junk) between the AFT face of the radiator and the protective screen. It's a bit of a forgotten area but a collection of junk here can significantly impede flow.

Perhaps more interestingly, another impedance to flow may be the screen itself. I recently fitted a new aluminum radiator, and wondered how much of a flow restriction may be created by the rather chunky screen itself. I did some math and was astonished to find that, of the window described by the border of the screen, more than half, 53%, was covered by the screen wire. Finding this hard to believe I tackled the math from another direction and came up with 57% coverage. This is an incredible number.

I Figure that considerable improvements to cooling system performance could be gained here. When I bought my radiator, the maker also offered a very lightweight, honeycomb membrane screen that provides almost no resistance to air flow. I was uncertain about using this seemingly flimsy material to protect my rad, but it is sold to dirt track racers to protect radiators, so it must be able to withstand significant abuse. I made up a new screen from this stuff and fitted it with velcro so it could be removed occasionally for cleaning. I have since emailed the company to ask what this stuff is called, and where can I get more of it, but they have not replied. Anyway, thought I'd pass this along.

« Last Edit: Tuesday,October 20, 2020, 12:13:10 PM by Bainford »
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday,October 20, 2020, 12:07:54 PM »
My radiator is aluminum but I purchased it through a group buy.
My radiator is also a Saldana, purchased through a group-buy on the yahoo site about nine years ago, though curiously it looks quite different from yours. What did you use for a temperature switch (or to plug the hole)? Do you know the size and thread pitch of the hole on your rad?

My radiator has a threaded boss which seems to be 7/8"-16, which is not a standard thread. I can't find anything to fit the hole. I emailed the company, but they don't reply. At this point I'm just looking to plug the hole. I have found an oil pan drain plug for an early 50s flathead Ford that fits, but it is steel and I'd rather use aluminum, or brass as last resort.
« Last Edit: Tuesday,October 20, 2020, 12:11:11 PM by Bainford »
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #34 on: Tuesday,October 20, 2020, 01:39:51 PM »
Trevor, I'm intrigued by the honeycomb design of the screen. I always had a suspicion that the metal stock screen may have some effect on air flow but your calculation is an eye opener. I have my  refurbished stock radiator back from the radiator shop and will investigate this material thanks for the info. For those thinking of re-coring your stock radiator, be aware that the cost has gone up considerably from years past. You can buy 2-1/2 aluminum radiators for the cost of a re-core. But then this may just be a California thing.

Did some checking and I found a source of the screens sold by Speedway Motors:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Nomex-Honeycomb-Radiator-Guard-Protector-Screen-Mesh-19-x-26,3545.html

« Last Edit: Tuesday,October 20, 2020, 01:42:40 PM by Grumblebuns »

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #35 on: Tuesday,October 20, 2020, 01:46:10 PM »
My radiator is also a Saldana, purchased through a group-buy on the yahoo site about nine years ago, though curiously it looks quite different from yours. What did you use for a temperature switch (or to plug the hole)? Do you know the size and thread pitch of the hole on your rad?

My radiator has a threaded boss which seems to be 7/8"-16, which is not a standard thread. I can't find anything to fit the hole. I emailed the company, but they don't reply. At this point I'm just looking to plug the hole. I have found an oil pan drain plug for an early 50s flathead Ford that fits, but it is steel and I'd rather use aluminum, or brass as last resort.

I have the drawing of the radiator in my archives.  I'll post it when I find it.  I bought a steel plug with the correct thread (I don't remember what it is) and the drilled it and tapped it for 1/4 or 3/8" fpt and threaded in a temperature probe for my fan controller.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #36 on: Tuesday,October 20, 2020, 02:05:24 PM »
A couple of comments about flow through the radiator. For those driving unrestored cars or older restorations, it is worth checking for a build-up of debris (bug carcasses, dirt & silt, and other junk) between the AFT face of the radiator and the protective screen. It's a bit of a forgotten area but a collection of junk here can significantly impede flow.

Perhaps more interestingly, another impedance to flow may be the screen itself. I recently fitted a new aluminum radiator, and wondered how much of a flow restriction may be created by the rather chunky screen itself. I did some math and was astonished to find that, of the window described by the border of the screen, more than half, 53%, was covered by the screen wire. Finding this hard to believe I tackled the math from another direction and came up with 57% coverage. This is an incredible number.

I Figure that considerable improvements to cooling system performance could be gained here. When I bought my radiator, the maker also offered a very lightweight, honeycomb membrane screen that provides almost no resistance to air flow. I was uncertain about using this seemingly flimsy material to protect my rad, but it is sold to dirt track racers to protect radiators, so it must be able to withstand significant abuse. I made up a new screen from this stuff and fitted it with velcro so it could be removed occasionally for cleaning. I have since emailed the company to ask what this stuff is called, and where can I get more of it, but they have not replied. Anyway, thought I'd pass this along.

2nd on nomex honeycomb

You can find it direct from various suppliers like Hexcel
https://www.hexcel.com/Products/Honeycomb/
or on ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nomex-Kevlar-Honeycomb-Aerospace-Grade-0-5-X-18-X-24-1-8-Cell-6-PCF/153519618251?hash=item23be7b78cb:g:NsQAAOSwkDdc~Dbz
« Last Edit: Tuesday,October 20, 2020, 02:07:02 PM by Chuck Nukem »

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #37 on: Wednesday,October 21, 2020, 06:54:10 AM »

I found going though my old emails that the drawing was faxed to me in 2010.  I am glad that era is over.
Anyway, the thread is indeed 7/8-16.  I bought the attached drain plug and drilled and tapped it 3/8 fpt for a temperature sensor to go to my fan controller.
It looks like it is available on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Ford-Holland-Plug-Drain-C5NE6730B/dp/B01J6CFKCK

Offline GavinT

« Reply #38 on: Wednesday,October 21, 2020, 09:31:10 AM »
I've thought about a louver arrangement of some sort instead of the wire mesh.
This example is a little complicated, but the idea looks good.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday,October 21, 2020, 09:43:09 AM »
I found going though my old emails that the drawing was faxed to me in 2010.  I am glad that era is over.
Anyway, the thread is indeed 7/8-16.  I bought the attached drain plug and drilled and tapped it 3/8 fpt for a temperature sensor to go to my fan controller.
It looks like it is available on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Ford-Holland-Plug-Drain-C5NE6730B/dp/B01J6CFKCK
Many thanks for this! I measured it to be 7/8"-16, and bought a drain plug similar to the one you posted, but it didn't thread in as smoothly as I thought it should so I wondered if it was something even weirder. I talked to a local machinist and he is going to carve out a copy of the plug in aluminium. A pretty expensive way to fill a hole, but at this point I just want to get it done. I may eventually drill & tap it as you did to fit a temp switch, if I decide to fit one at all.

Trevor

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday,October 21, 2020, 10:11:52 AM »

2nd on nomex honeycomb

or on ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nomex-Kevlar-Honeycomb-Aerospace-Grade-0-5-X-18-X-24-1-8-Cell-6-PCF/153519618251?hash=item23be7b78cb:g:NsQAAOSwkDdc~Dbz

Thanks for the info and links, Chuck, and for the endorsement. Thanks also to Joji for the link. I want to buy some more, but had no idea what this stuff might be called or what it's original purpose might be. It's fascinating stuff, and appears to be very tough. Every time I hold it in my hands, I conjure up potential uses for it. I'm thinking of making a set of engine cover vent grills. In addition to it's many favourable characteristics, it also looks cool, and would make great grill material if painted black.

Trevor

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #41 on: Wednesday,October 21, 2020, 12:53:26 PM »

2nd on nomex honeycomb

or on ebay

Thanks for the info and links, Chuck, and for the endorsement. Thanks also to Joji for the link. I want to buy some more, but had no idea what this stuff might be called or what it's original purpose might be. It's fascinating stuff, and appears to be very tough. Every time I hold it in my hands, I conjure up potential uses for it. I'm thinking of making a set of engine cover vent grills. In addition to it's many favourable characteristics, it also looks cool, and would make great grill material if painted black.

I had that very thought both for the front grill for the TCS an S2 and the rear screen for the S2 and painting the screen black.

« Last Edit: Wednesday,October 21, 2020, 12:55:48 PM by Grumblebuns »

Offline 3929R

« Reply #42 on: Monday,October 26, 2020, 12:06:27 PM »
For eBay aluminum radiators, a coolant temperature switch for a 1982/83 Nissan Sentra and 1983/84 Pulsar should work. They are readily available in the USA. eBay has them starting at $10 with shipping.
  • Size -- 16x1.5mm
  • On temperature -- 183oF/ 84oC  to 196oF/ 91oC (The switch mounts near the bottom hose/ radiator entrance side)
Specs here - https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ECHFS149
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #43 on: Monday,March 04, 2024, 07:34:53 PM »
Turns out the alloy radiator for the red car uses M18x1.5.
Not common as an auto part but apparently used for motorcycles.
I found these on feeBay, https://www.ebay.com/itm/224830395995?itmmeta=01HR69KD0S84XYPWMHK6DPMZB4&hash=item3458ef965b:g:BbcAAOSwkKRiA-wL&itmprp=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4PsgIlM29eZIINkVz8DY3daPHwpW%2FdWsc1Z2HMYvL9es49171bormUSOEL7a%2FvGEUniBaL6CriHOvIthAIQUFHWyJ6CYmazybL4Bv9QjNR29yoTf%2BMTdOCMQXjRZBz6BeBJqKUAoeav248Tvo%2B9L%2BXHkA2SwTnQKya23a3QUAqr8PlL8obu7NVX0g8NRv2HP8ozPcQJ9PgrqCiFrsXx%2B4%2BWAX9hTHZ1ShNFL0Kjy7zZohGvGs2jmgi0LYWcmwIVRDqVaC75o%2BH%2BMpCp540NSCiz8H4Fo0hcVPyQCfxMVu5zi%7Ctkp%3ABFBM8NDNycFj

Fitment:
For Kawasaki KLR650  2008-2018

For KTM 690 Duke 2008-2019
For KTM 690 SMC R 2019-2021
For KTM 690 Enduro / Enduro R  2008-2021
For KTM 950/990 Adventure / Adventure S / Supermoto  2003-2013
For KTM 1190 RC8 / RC8R  2010-2014

For Husqvarna 701 Supermoto / Enduro / Vitpilen / Svartpilen 2016-2021

Offline FourLoti

« Reply #44 on: Thursday,April 04, 2024, 08:03:19 PM »
I, too, have joined the ChinaAluRad club - for just $119 (offer accepted) including fan on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/255114386948

Just arrived and it looks fine - just like the others pictured in this thread, and also identical to what several other eBay sellers are showing for the same price - just different logos over the same stock photos.

As Richard48Y noted, mine also has an M18 bung thread, which is not what the seller told me before I bought it, so now I have a new Beck/Arnley M22 switch to give away if anyone wants a spare.

As noted, M18s are harder to find unless you look at motorcycle parts. This one is now on its way here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/374266079541

Cheers,

Ron
1974 Europa Twin Cam Special 5-Speed
1996 Porsche 993 Carrera Coupe
2005 Mitsubishi Montero Limited
1987 Esprit Turbo (gone)
1980 Eclat (gone)
1963 Elan S1 (gone)
1970 Europa S2 (gone)