Author Topic: S1/S2 Front Brake Calipers. Were they 12 or 14?  (Read 7 times)

Offline 314159td

• Project Portfolio
S1/S2 Front Brake Calipers. Were they 12 or 14?
« on: Today at 08:00:12 PM »
For the longest time I assumed that my Europa had Girling type 12 calipers, as peering behind/under the wheel revealed only one clamping bolt on the bottom, like a type 12. Little did I know, there's something between the 2 bolt type 12s and the 4 bolt type 14s: three bolt type 14 (14p?) They have 48mm pistons, like a 14 would.

I went to remove the front calipers so I can bug my rebuilder, and found these. Googling the casting number got me to an FVP rebuilt caliper that's listed as fitting all Series 1 and 2 Europas (67-71). It also lists a 48mm piston, so some parts directory definitely has type 14 listed as fitting early Europas.

I'm trying to ascertain if my car left the factory like this, because it seems that it did. They looked a little tight around the dust shield (probably designed for 12 and the same part as a Mk1 or 2 Spitfire), but fit just fine. I don't see any evidence of mucking with the brakes or plumbing or etc.
The only place I've seen it mentioned that the early Europas used type 12 calipers are on forums including this one. That finally took me to the obvious solution of pulling up the parts book, which shows type 14s as being for a Series 1 (and 2) car. The pistons listed, 36J6000, are 48mm type 14 pistons.

Given all that, I'm fairly certain that not all (any?) early cars rolled out of the factory with type 12 calipers.  My concerns of overbraking the fronts by installed 14s are also likely unfounded in that case.
« Last Edit: Today at 08:03:16 PM by 314159td »

Offline 314159td

• Project Portfolio
Re: S1/S2 Front Brake Calipers. Were they 12 or 14?
« Reply #1 on: Today at 08:07:57 PM »
I'm also seeing 36J6000, 036J6006, and 036J6071 in various places of the parts manual as caliper pistons for the S1 and 2 cars. As those are lotus P/Ns I'm going to assume something about the piston spec changed along the way. Maybe Lotus wanted a different alloy or tolerancing, or Girling updated their spec and Lotus changed the P/N to keep old and new stock separate. Hopefully unimportant.