Author Topic: 1986 Turbo Esprit  (Read 1084 times)

Offline Chuck Nukem

1986 Turbo Esprit
« on: Tuesday,November 22, 2022, 09:36:25 PM »
Well boys....it finally happened....I got another broken Lotus....:)

This one seems even more special somehow. It satisfies my longing for a wedge shaped car that has existed since I was a very small boy.

The car came with the engine deposited in the bay via front end loader. There was about a gallon of water in the cylinders and exhaust. The motor still turns over smoothly so I think I might have gotten lucky on this one.

It looks better in the pics than it is in person, the paint is pretty rough. I keep telling myself about the lessons I learned with the black car....Just get it running first....don't paint it yet you fool....

There was a bit of an adventure retrieving this from Houston. My pilot bearing in my truck had been ticking for a little while. I had bought a new clutch and pressure plate in anticipation, but I kept putting it off because....Well now it was truly sounding bad. I promised myself I would change it when I got back. I picked the car up without too much fuss. Halfway back I lost the ability to change gear via the clutch, so I had to rely on rev matching. This was fine until I hit rush hour traffic in Dallas....I saw the sea of red lights on the horizon and I prepared for an arduous several hours. I made some space and rolled down the road crunching as infrequently as possible....my clutch began to judder a bit when being lugged. Somehow I made it through the mess and decided to take the back road to my house. Only one stoplight remained between myself and wedgey glory...As I exited toward the final stretch of road my pilot bearing made a KLJSDFKLJSDKLJFKLJADS;FKLJASD;LKFJAS sound which I initially mistook for all the teeth of every gear simultaneously shearing off and recirculating in the transmission. I was coasting uphill at 40 mph keenly aware that I would not be making it home without assistance. I tried a lower gear and to my surprise I could still get some power to the rear tires at low revs! At a crawl I towed my red prize over the dark Texas road with a train of annoyed headlights behind me. Up the hill....down the hill....up the hill....down the hill....I approached my final hurdle...the stop light! As I neared the glowing green beacon a wave of despair came...I knew that my luck had just run out. I would not make it before the change. I arrived at a long red light and had to stop for traffic. It was there my truck came to rest like Pheidippides proclaiming victory at marathon...but alas I was still one mile away.

Luckily my neglect and wrong doing was not met with real consequence. It was a Casey Anthony style verdict for me as I had already purchased the new clutch and pilot bearing. I had intended to change them to address my leaking rear main seal. A light skim on the flywheel and she should be up and running again to tow another broken Lotus!

The little kiddo in the last pic is my nephew....he approves!

Offline TurboFource

Re: 1986 Turbo Esprit
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,November 23, 2022, 03:35:57 AM »
Nice, beautiful cars! The last pic is the best ;) Yours?
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,November 23, 2022, 05:50:06 AM »
Nice, beautiful cars! The last pic is the best ;) Yours?

He is my little nephew! We are going to be pals :)

Offline dakazman

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,November 23, 2022, 06:21:26 AM »
   Congratulations on your quest , Chuck.

It’s nice to hear there are still some true finds out there . Loved the story you’ll tell your nephew in the future.  Hopefully you will have it running without much trouble.

Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,November 23, 2022, 09:04:15 AM »
Congratulations on your successful completion of a harrowing trip home and your new project! I might warn you that if you don’t start completing Lotus projects, your nephew will never know what it’s like to ride in a Lotus let alone drive one!  ;)

I’m really anxious to see how (one of) your Europa projects come out and interested as well in what you do with your Esprit!

Offline Blitzen

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,November 23, 2022, 03:19:38 PM »
Congratulations !!   Love that style.   Had an 87, it was a great highway cruiser but I hated driving it in the city.  One of the ones I regret selling.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,November 24, 2022, 07:27:13 AM »
Congratulations on your successful completion of a harrowing trip home and your new project! I might warn you that if you don’t start completing Lotus projects, your nephew will never know what it’s like to ride in a Lotus let alone drive one!  ;)

I’m really anxious to see how (one of) your Europa projects come out and interested as well in what you do with your Esprit!

It is getting very close now. I am waiting on a shipment of 9 windshields from England to finish of the blue S2 I picked up in May (and the rest of them). The last little hiccup on the blue S2 was that the differential seal had been whacked and was leaking. This led to me pulling the axles and realizing that they were in need of complete refurbishment....so  I am taking the moment to convert this S2 to disc brakes. I had wanted to wait to drive the car as it was for a while, but the bearings are toast on the rear and I just cant help myself...I did drive it around the block about half a dozen times and my god it was magical. It is the most communicative car I have ever been in. If I had to wait another 10 years to do that it would still be worth it.

On the plus side, I will have a rear disc conversion for every Europa after this :) I am also doing a dual master that uses a similar angled bracket like the S2 used for its master on a pivot.

The Eclat was working, but mom and I did an interior overhaul on the dash. I'll have to post some pics it came out quite nice. I did an electric pop up conversion to the headlights. Now it is beset by a badly leaking cam cover and a bad voltage regulator. It was driving though! I also found a 5 speed box for it to help on the highway.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #7 on: Thursday,November 24, 2022, 07:29:58 AM »
Congratulations !!   Love that style.   Had an 87, it was a great highway cruiser but I hated driving it in the city.  One of the ones I regret selling.

That is great to hear. It is such a special little car. Very different from our Europas, but no less interesting. I am really looking forward to having the contextual reference of driving both back to back.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #8 on: Thursday,November 24, 2022, 07:37:08 AM »
   Congratulations on your quest , Chuck.

It’s nice to hear there are still some true finds out there . Loved the story you’ll tell your nephew in the future.  Hopefully you will have it running without much trouble.

Dakazman

Thanks Dman. I hope so too! I am going to start cranking away as soon as the blue S2 and eclat are done. It is going to be a "parallel project" to the black car....because that strategy hasn't let me down at all.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #9 on: Thursday,November 24, 2022, 09:29:00 AM »
Congrats, Chuck. Another cool project.

I'm envious of the little fellow. I imagine as a young man he'll be picking up chicks in a vintage Lotus.  8)
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #10 on: Thursday,November 24, 2022, 11:24:53 PM »
Congrats, Chuck. Another cool project.

I'm envious of the little fellow. I imagine as a young man he'll be picking up chicks in a vintage Lotus.  8)

He is going to be getting the ride to elementary school that I dreamed of as a child....

Offline GavinT

« Reply #11 on: Friday,November 25, 2022, 10:39:15 PM »
Years ago on a Lotus club early morning run, it was not unusual for participants to swap cars during the 'fang' just for fun.

I'd never driven an Esprit and swapped my Europa for a S1 Esprit and was absolutely staggered by the lateral grip. OK, I guess it is a foot wider. This experience is mainly what drove me to buy an Excel and that also had phenomenal lateral grip – well, that and I needed a car with rear seats to carry the little kids and to keep the wife happy.
Neither of those cars had a turbo and both displayed the rather 'breathy' nature of 4-valve engines. As such, the Excel was much happier cruising above 80MPH than under.

Anyway, congratulations, Chuck.
I expect you'll love it.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #12 on: Saturday,November 26, 2022, 05:27:27 AM »
Thanks Gavin,

I am really looking forward to having the Lotus chronology together. I think it will be very interesting to drive them and get a contextual sense of the development. If you ever find yourself in Texas you are formally invited to do some Lotus research with me!

I was greeted with some very pleasant sights. Almost everything electrical appears to work on the car! The motor looks to be very clean too!! I don't know how I got so lucky. I was really trying to be patient and wait to start digging in to this project but my curiosity got the best of me.... 

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #13 on: Saturday,November 26, 2022, 05:39:38 AM »
Nice! The electrical part is not something I look forward to if there are issues on TCST….
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline BDA

« Reply #14 on: Saturday,November 26, 2022, 09:02:50 AM »
How many miles are on that Esprit!? It looks like you picked a winner!