Author Topic: 1967 Elan  (Read 1542 times)

Offline Chuck Nukem

1967 Elan
« on: Saturday,July 31, 2021, 08:50:35 AM »
I never thought this day would come.....I am officially the owner of a running Lotus!!

After 8 years of intermittent toil I finally learned my lesson and bought a car that worked!

I purchased the car on the Elan forum from Roger, who is also a forum member on here, who just sold his beautiful red TCS. After talking to him a bit about the car I felt the call of adventure and decided to drive down that day and, was feeling bold enough to drive it back from Houston to Dallas in 100 degree heat. My visiting aunt drove down with me in my truck to assist in the return. Had I been sensible I would have brought my trailer, but I took a page from Cortez who burned his ships after arriving at the new world to prevent mutiny... After a lovely dinner it was decided best to depart in the morning. Roger and Pat were wonderful hosts and it was great to visit with them. Roger told me many stories including some about his father Jack who used to compete with his Austin 7 in the 50's in England against a certain C. Chapman. Once we set off the cool morning air did not last long, and I began to feel like a frog boiling in a pot in the Houston stop and go. There were plenty of smiles and waves from passers by. The car offers up the odd little intermittent honk when asked to take a sharp corner quickly and it is an endearing quirk I don't plan on fixing. Once we hit the highway I was pleasantly surprised how well this little thing keeps up with traffic. I took my aunt to our legendary Texas gas station buccees and she was thoroughly amused. After completing 300 trouble free miles we pulled off the interstate to head home. At the first stoplight the car sputtered to a halt...  :FUNNY: I attempted to start it with no success for a minute or so. This truly was the complete Lotus experience! The car managed to sputter to life after a little more coaxing and it proceeded to the next intersection where it died again. A few more iterations of this and we made it home. Call it a hunch but I believe it was heat related... The car has performed flawlessly since.

I have been enjoying the little thing around town and getting to know it a bit better. I have been trying my best to surprise all my friends and family with a visit and drive, but I have already been spotted on the road by several of them before being able to execute the surprise! The driving experience is just as good as described by all the texts I have read, all the videos I have seen, all the stories I have heard. I regret not taking the plunge on a running car sooner, even one that wasn't as nice as this Elan...I always felt there was some piece of equipment to purchase rather than a working car, some other house expense, etc...It also became somewhat of a stubborn point for me that I was determined to restore and drive mine first of all...but alas this was youthful folly. This year I had been challenged by my friend with a +2 to finish my car before October so that we could take a journey to the mountains for his 40th birthday in our cars. I must admit I agreed knowing full well that I was lying... He knew it too because he started sending me ads for running cars... So that is the story of how I came to possess this little car, the delight of my life at the moment!

It even has my grandmothers seal of approval! She has waited 96 years to experience a Lotus so I can hardly complain about my short time without one!

Offline Dilkris

Re: 1967 Elan
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,July 31, 2021, 09:02:51 AM »
Well done! Is that a Series 3?

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,July 31, 2021, 09:06:51 AM »
It is!

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,July 31, 2021, 10:21:45 AM »
Nice!!
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline dakazman

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,July 31, 2021, 10:39:33 AM »
   Congratulations Chuck.

Dave

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #5 on: Saturday,July 31, 2021, 10:56:21 AM »
Very nice!

You should finish the Europa now before October and surprise you friend with a choice of which Lotus to take your mountain trip!

Offline BDA

« Reply #6 on: Saturday,July 31, 2021, 12:09:44 PM »
Great story, great car, and you have a great grandmother!! I'm envious of all three!

When the Miata came out, it made me want to buy an Elan. And after joining the local MG club, I've really wanted a roadster - Elan, of course! - but it's not in the cards.

Enjoy your new baby but don't let it get in the way of your Europa babies. We want to see the end result of all that cool work with those monster machines!

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #7 on: Saturday,July 31, 2021, 10:49:35 PM »
A gentleman should always have a vehicle Lotus suitable for the weather conditions......    ;)

Excellent looking car. If you're not already signed up, I'd recommend Jeff Cocking's Elan forum;

https://lotuselan.net/forums/

another friendly forum with loads of knowledgeable posters who live & breath Elans. (some have Europas as well)

Brian

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #8 on: Saturday,July 31, 2021, 10:53:15 PM »
Thanks guys! It has made my desire to complete a Europa greater than ever...

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #9 on: Sunday,August 01, 2021, 11:36:43 AM »
Chuck, great story! It will be great to personally see the difference between the two lotus'. Very jealous.
Sandy

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #10 on: Sunday,August 01, 2021, 12:16:11 PM »
Woohoo!! Congrats. What a lovely little Elan. And you broke it in with a proper road trip, too. Nice!
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Exlimey

« Reply #11 on: Sunday,August 01, 2021, 06:56:02 PM »
Nice one Chuck. Maybe a good plan to paint a Europa yellow. Make a nice pair.

Offline Roger

« Reply #12 on: Monday,August 02, 2021, 08:36:35 AM »
It was a delight entertaining Chuck and his aunt the other day, and I must say "thanks" for the kind words!
I'm glad he got home o.k., I  suspect the trouble at the end of the trip was heat-related. It was very hot, and there's not a lot of space under the Elan bonnet ( hood) . I have heard of holes being cut in the wheel arches, under the carbs, to improve ventilation, not a bad idea.

So now both my older toys have gone, and both have appeared on this forum. I consider that to be a good thing!  They did all look good together in red, yellow and green - I still have my Elise.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,August 04, 2021, 08:43:25 AM by Roger »

Offline Rosco5000

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday,August 03, 2021, 02:41:58 PM »
Chuck congrats on finding a great new addition to the garage.  That is a wonderful looking car.

Roger that was a pretty fleet you had there, I am glad you still have one Lotus to venture out in.
Cheers,
Ross
1974 Europa Special
1969 Europa S2
1970 Lotus Elan +2
1978 Austin Mini - 1275, big brakes
1991 Ford Explorer - Lifted on 33s, custom lift and radius arms
2005 Chrysler 300C - chipped, lowered 22s
2011 Cadillac Escalade - Stage 3 cam, Headers, CAI, 2,600 stall converter

Offline Bodzer

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday,August 04, 2021, 12:00:11 AM »
Well done Chuck! I saw your post on the Elan forum awhile ago. I’m glad it went to an enthusiast rather than a dealer. It looks fantastic and I wish you the best with it. I have a S4 DHC but I have a S3 DHC and a S4 FHC waiting in the wings! I second Brian’s view on the Elan forum. Another great bunch of people.