Author Topic: COVID-19 Shot today🥴  (Read 1963 times)

Offline SENC

Re: COVID-19 Shot today🥴
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday,February 10, 2021, 05:53:40 PM »
Brian - it would be easy for me to get way over my head quickly, and I'd bet there are others here with much better science training and knowledge that me... but I'll take a high-level stab at it.

First, using mRNA (messenger RNA) isn't a totally new concept, but as it has been explained to me our ability to use the concept to design treatment/vaccine approaches is what is new and developing rapidly.  I'm in the cancer field, for example, and some of the mRNA possibilities for targeting certain cancers are and have been being researched and tested that have some very exciting possibilities.  So, timing was good for this virus in the sense that our knowledge and our capability to act on that knowledge had reached a point where some theoretical solution approaches had been conceived and could be tested reasonably quickly.  Second, development of these approaches, once initial hypotheses proved out, could be scaled for broader lab testing more rapidly than traditional vaccine approaches.  So, in car parlance, if 60mph is where human studies begin, the 0-60 speed was faster than ever thought possible.  Then, as I understand it, the research took a more traditional path and timeline of testing for safety, then testing for efficacy (blinded, etc.), follow-up, and data analysis.  At this point, the evidence was strong enough to convince independent and government authorities to issues emergency use authorizations for use - where in a less urgent situation those bodies might have preferred to do more testing and longer term follow-up over subsequent months.  So we got a speed pick-up there, too.  And, finally, at some point in the research portion and well before EUA, when early evidence was pointing to the positive, someone in authority had to agree to fund production so that the drug companies wouldn't wait for approval to start producing in mass.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #16 on: Thursday,February 11, 2021, 09:23:12 AM »
Hi SENC,

Thanks for an easily understandable reply. What did surprise me was the comment that the "new" techniques (mRNA) aren't that new, although when I stopped and thought about it I realised it's been almost 20yrs since I was even remotely involved with such things.

So to me, reading about the concept on Reuters at the start of 2020 it seemed a breakthrough but now it looks like I was just behind the times !
Brian

Online dakazman

« Reply #17 on: Saturday,March 06, 2021, 03:36:41 AM »
 I had my second shot of the moderna vaccine on Thursday 10:00am  . I’m close to never sick and never get a headache.  Then it came on , I was fine with no side effects until 1100 pm, started shivering and my head was killing me. The effect subsided around 3:am but I felt like I was tackled by the entire defensive line,several times over without protection. I would say hit by a truck but that was worse, and yes, I was, but that’s another story. 🙀
  All is fine now . Just passing on some information.
Stay safe
Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #18 on: Saturday,March 06, 2021, 07:04:16 AM »
Glad you’re feeling better D’man! That doesn’t sound fun!

Offline Footer

« Reply #19 on: Saturday,March 06, 2021, 08:33:39 AM »
Everyone sounds healthy and that's good to know.
I got my first shot on Monday, March 1.  Other than slight muscle soreness at the injection site, I was fine.  The next day, Tuesday, muscle pain increased but not so bad it required aspirin or other medication.  About 7:00 pm that day, the chills began and steadily worstened to the point I couldn't get warm.  I went to bed with the electric blanket on high and stayed there for 10 hours.  Sleep was poor and intermittent but when I got up, the chills were gone.  Nothing since.
I get the second shot on the 30th and am wondering what side effects that will cause.

Rather than pain killers, I'd feel much better if I could drive my Europa!

Online dakazman

« Reply #20 on: Saturday,March 06, 2021, 05:44:27 PM »
  My daughter the nurse, said this to me afterwards. Just think what it would have been like to get COVID .  Glad you’re doing well now, don’t back down your halfway there.
Dakazman

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #21 on: Saturday,March 06, 2021, 10:33:03 PM »
We (the missus & I) had our first shots on Thursday. Ours was the Astrazeneca vaccine and because I was driving we had to sit for 15 minutes immediately after the shot in case of reaction. Neither of us had any effect at all.

The next day I was doing a bit of archery and my shoulder started aching earlier than normal and didn't go away when I stopped shooting.  Both of us had sore shoulders that night and Saturday. Not enough to stop doing stuff but I didn't bother with the bow that day. If that's the sum total of our reactions then it's no big deal.

We were given leaflets & talked through possible reactions including fever, nausea, dizzy, sore arms, etc. I was expecting "oh, and some people grow two heads" the list was so long but clearly the nurses are just being thorough and pointing out things that have been seen in trials. 

If you get the worst possible reactions (2 heads isn't one  :)  ) then IMO it's better to have a couple of rough days than two or three rough weeks.

Brian

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #22 on: Thursday,March 18, 2021, 05:02:38 AM »
It was the luck of the Irish!

After waiting months, and on multiple lists registered for the vaccine I was able to get the 1st Moderna shot...aside from a sore arm I have had no issues.

The wife gets her's today...

The sad news was we were planning our corned beef & cabbage for yesterday's dinner, but will have to postpone till tomorrow. Oh well, all good things come for those who wait!

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #23 on: Thursday,March 18, 2021, 06:59:00 AM »
Literally just had my first shot (Oxford/Astra Zenica) and waiting for the 15mins before I can drive home!

Offline TCS4605R

« Reply #24 on: Thursday,March 18, 2021, 07:50:48 AM »
My wife and I had or second Pfizer shot last Monday.  I had no problems with either shot but my wife felt tired the second day after each shot but no reveal problems.  We are getting on a plane 4/4 so glad we have had the shots.

Tom

Offline S2Zetec54

« Reply #25 on: Thursday,March 18, 2021, 11:43:42 AM »
Had my shot early Sunday. Did have flu symptoms 5 hours later and a sore injection site but had recovered by the next morning. Nice to have had it.

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #26 on: Thursday,March 18, 2021, 12:21:11 PM »
2nd Pfizer shot today.

Offline Clifton

« Reply #27 on: Friday,March 19, 2021, 01:41:39 PM »
I just got my first Moderna two days ago. I've heard the second shot is worse. I didn't want it but I know too many people that got covid. Most recovered quick but my friends brother in law didn't make it. Another was in the hospital for a week on oxygen. He's fine now but some people get hit hard. Odds are better with a shot and clots than with covid.

Sars cov1 was over 10 years ago. They've been working on something since then.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #28 on: Friday,March 19, 2021, 11:19:25 PM »
Odds are better with a shot and clots than with covid.
I agree, and from the data I see the fear of blood clots is very much overstated.

The Astrazeneca has had the worst press on this aspect (at least in the UK) and that's been started by the EU leaders who are still battling with AZ and the latest veiled threat is to requisition factories and supplies. (yep, that's going to go down well for future investors.)

We've done 25 million shots now, we started off with the Pfizer vaccine but the majority are the AZ one. Out of 17 million AZ shots (UK & Europe figures) there are apparently 37 cases of potentially serious blood clots, slightly less with Pfizer. (28 ? not sure) 

Now I don't know what the latest numbers are for fatalities from covid, I know when it started there were very high numbers bandied about (5%+ ?) but as it's gone on the ratio has dropped and last I saw was around 1-2%. That's orders of magnitude higher than the risk from a blood clot. 

Brian