Author Topic: Scotland and Goodwood Trip  (Read 492 times)

Offline RoddyMac

Scotland and Goodwood Trip
« on: Tuesday,September 24, 2019, 07:42:47 AM »
My GF and I, along with her sister and her BF, arrived back home on Saturday from a three week excursion to the UK.  The trip was centered around Goodwood, but we still managed 12 days in the Highlands, then Friday and Saturday at Goodwood, followed by some much needed time in the sun down in the Algarve. 

Goodwood didn't disappoint, the weather was perfect, and there was lots to see.  My only complaint was the lack of air displays, and from what I've heard it was an 'elf and safety thing.  Anyways, here are some pics for your enjoyment:

The obligatory shot of the Old Man of Storr (it was blowy as f&*$ at the top that day):

And onto Goodwood...

One of the highlights of my time at Goodwood was running into Adrian Newey and having a very brief chat with him.  All in all, the trip was very enjoyable.

Rod

Online BDA

Re: Scotland and Goodwood Trip
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,September 24, 2019, 08:09:16 AM »
Sounds like a great trip, Roddy! I saw some of the races at Goodwood via live YouTube. Great racing and beautiful cars! Is that a picture of you and your GF in period garb?

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,September 24, 2019, 08:16:31 AM »
BDA, yup, standing outside our accommodation just outside of Petworth.  Which reminds me, driving into Petworth (a very small village) was bumper to bumper, once we arrived in the town center we discovered why... they were holding a car show on the main road.  We didn't get a chance to stop, but I did spy a couple Bugattis, Bentleys, and other high dollar, high end pre-war cars. 

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,September 24, 2019, 08:30:23 AM »
What a great trip! Mrs. Surf and I are overdue for another UK trip. Maybe I can convince her to include Goodwood next year, along with some Scotch whiskey tasting.
t
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,September 24, 2019, 08:39:14 AM »
That can't be Scotland, it's not raining !   ;)

Meeting up with Adrian Newey was a stroke of luck, I've read his book and to say he's had an interesting life is a bit of an understatement.  But it's the sort of event where he'd belong, did you see any of the other "names" around ?

Looking at those shots you've had uncommonly good weather for the UK, and Goodwood looks as if it was superb. But what's that low slung car behind the white Ferrari (?) and then in a shot of it's own, #16 ?  I haven't got a clue what it is....

Brian

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,September 24, 2019, 08:51:14 AM »
Brian,
As mum said, if you dont like the weather in Scotland, wait 5 minutes.  And, literally 5 minutes after the photo of the Old Man of Storr was taken, the heavens opened.  All four of us were soaked to the skin by the time we were back at the car. 

The blue car is a Tojeiro Ford.  There were two Tojeiros at the event, the other was Buick powered.  Fun fact, John Tojeiro designed the car that would become the AC Ace, which then became the AC Bristol, and finally a chicken farmer decided to stuff a Ford V8 into one and named it after a snake.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,September 24, 2019, 09:44:14 AM »
Thanks for sharing. Great photos! I hope to go to Goodwood one day. It’s on my bucket list.

Offline Rosco5000

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,September 24, 2019, 12:52:39 PM »
Hey Rod thanks for sharing!  Like BDA I was watching via YouTube, the race with the Elan battling for first was a fine race to watch.  Bucket list holiday for me, I'd love to go with my Dad.  That Abarth Simca is a neat looking machine.
Ross
1974 Europa Special
1969 Europa S2
1970 Lotus Elan +2
1978 Austin Mini - 1275, big brakes
1991 Ford Explorer - Lifted on 33s, custom lift and radius arms
2005 Chrysler 300C - chipped, lowered 22s
2011 Cadillac Escalade - Stage 3 cam, Headers, CAI, 2,600 stall converter

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,September 24, 2019, 01:11:46 PM »
Ah, thanks for the detail on the car. Even now I know the name (and have googled other details) it's still not familiar so it's clearly one that's sailed by me.

Your mum is right on Scottish weather, especially on the west coast. We used to be regulars, every April & September for a short break and it was quite possible to have glorious sunshine, rain, hailstones and back to sunshine in an hour's bike ride !

Brian