Author Topic: 1965 Lotus Elan S2 For Sale  (Read 2765 times)

Offline Certified Lotus

1965 Lotus Elan S2 For Sale
« on: Saturday,November 17, 2018, 08:25:57 AM »
Although this website is dedicated to Europa's (and I am an active member) some of you might be interested in adding to your Lotus collection and consider this 65 Elan S2 I am selling:

Early Elan S1 and S2 models are one of the most sought after Lotus cars. They are becoming very rare to acquire in drivable condition and Haggerty suggests the value of them is ever increasing. As some of you know, I have been restoring early Elans the last several years and know these cars very well. My first Elan S1 restoration won first place at LOG38 this year for the Elan S1/S2 category.

I bought this car several months ago as it is an unmolested true survivor 1965 Lotus Elan S2. The build plate VIN of US65 26/4055 was invoiced by the factory in November 1964 and subsequently shipped to the US for sale as a 1965 model year Elan S2.

The original engine block, LP2437 was replaced early in the Elan’s life (with the first owner) and now has LP5908 coming from an Elan built at the end of 1966. The Lotus Twin Cam weber head has the serial number 2437 stamped on it so it is the original head that came with the car when new. One other modification was done early in the car’s life, a small steel cylinder was installed forward of the radiator (mounted in the nose of the car) as the first owner said he would lose the headlights on long downhill drives due to lack of vacuum to keep the lights upright and this was his solution.

The second owner of this Elan was Will Burnham, a long time Lotus enthusiast and co-founder of Lotus Owners of New York. Will bought the car in 1990 and was going through a mechanical and paint restoration in the fall of 1992 when Will passed away. The restoration was completed by Will’s good friend Tony Vaccaro (President of Lotus Ltd) and the Elan stayed in the Burnham family for 22 years. It was then offered to Tony and he acquired it to add to his collection of Lotus cars. Tony had well known Lotus mechanic Craig Chima go through the Elan’s mechanicals earlier this year as it had been sitting in a garage for a long time and needed attention. Craig flushed the cooling system, had the radiator cleaned and pressure tested, replaced the hoses from the radiator, rebuilt the calipers and replaced all the hydraulic fluids, replaced the engine oil and transmission fluid, removed the gas tank and had it flushed and reinstalled, repaired the wiper motor, replaced most of the interior carpet, replaced the center console and got all the electronics working. All four tires have been replaced with new ones and balanced on the OEM steel wheels.

Since I have had the Elan, I removed the differential and replaced the front seal (it was leaking) as well as torqueing the pinion nut to spec and sealing the threads, reinstalled the exhaust system (it was leaking and I installed the missing important transmission bracket that keeps the exhaust system from moving around), installed the correct bonnet adjustment screws, new period correct chrome wiper blades, replaced the fuel pump and relocated a new glass fuel filter to the trunk where you could see it (not underneath the weber carbs where you can’t), replaced the air filter, installed period correct seat belts, acquired an original tonneau cover, repaired the loose trim on the cantrails, replaced the windshield wiper switch button with correct type, adjusted the parking brake (it actually works!) and generally went over all the details of this Elan.

This Elan S2 is in remarkable condition with the understanding it is a 53 year old car with 74,152 miles. The paint has a few chips in some areas, the chassis (which is in good condition) has the typical areas of bent metal where it was jacked up without a wood block being used and the front chassis box (which is the vacuum chamber for the light pods, hence the alternate vacuum canister) has a small tear in the metal and the passenger side windshield has a few scratches from the wiper blade. The valve cover has a breather vent added that was professionally welded on the front of it with wire mesh inside of it.

This Elan runs well, the engine has good torque.  It handles as you would expect from an Elan, smooth and effortless. It has a nice soft top with all the correct parts of cantrails and cross bars. The interior is factory grey seats and door cards. The dash was replaced during the 1992 restoration with a burled pattern made by Madera Concepts (a high quality automotive woodwork shop).

It is now ready for a new owner who appreciates the history and patina of an historic Lotus Elan S2 that is ready for those weekend drives along country roads.

Price: $38,500 Located in Princeton, New Jersey
« Last Edit: Sunday,June 30, 2019, 02:41:56 PM by Certified Lotus »

Offline surfguitar58

Re: 1965 Lotus Elan S2 For Sale
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,November 17, 2018, 09:28:45 AM »
Oh, I wish, I wish, I wish! Not having a garage, buying 1 Lotus was foolish enough. I’ve alway read that buying a car from a dedicated enthusiast forum was the way to go, and coming out of Certified’s garage, you can’t go wrong.

The price differential between the Elan and our under appreciated Europas always intrigues me. Surly our stock will go up when Certified’s car hits the road this spring.  ;D

Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,November 17, 2018, 09:46:58 AM »
Thanks for the kind words Tom. Yes, when my Europa gets done it will be at the very top of the market regarding value. I have always thought that Lotus cars were way under valued and the market will explode one day. Until then, enjoy driving your cars and not worry about what it’s value is  :trophy:

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,November 17, 2018, 11:24:50 AM »
Of the people you mentioned who have wrenched on that car, I only know of you and Tony. That is all I need to know that this is an immaculately prepared and maintained example. The only question I have is were the donuts replaced with CV joints?

Regardless, I wish I could be the buyer but with four cars and only a two car garage and the fact that my wife would have a hard time understanding why I need ANOTHER two-seat car (not to mention manual shift and being ANOTHER Lotus!), I'm afraid I'll have to pass on it. Someone will buy a really great Elan! I will just have to be jealous of him.

Good luck on the sale!

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,November 17, 2018, 11:36:03 AM »
Thanks BDA. I know what you mean about adding another car to your collection. There needs to be some level of restraint  :confused:

I have not replaced the donuts as I wanted to keep this car as close to original as possible.

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,November 17, 2018, 06:00:53 PM »
I've only driven an Elan once. A buddy of mine had one many years ago. No matter what I did, I could not keep the donuts from winding up! It made for pretty bouncy shifts in the lower gears! I guess that once you get the hang of it, it's ok, but I would think that CV joint axles are such a common addition (and you can't see them) that it wouldn't hurt the valve and might even enhance its value, but then I'm certainly the wrong guy to ask about that sort of thing (especially given my car!).

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #6 on: Saturday,November 17, 2018, 07:22:18 PM »
I have Tony Thompson Racing sliding shaft axles on my S1, primarily due to increased HP with my Quicksilver Racing Twin Cam. The S2 runs just fine with the donuts and I really don’t even notice.
« Last Edit: Sunday,November 18, 2018, 02:51:15 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline BDA

« Reply #7 on: Saturday,November 17, 2018, 07:28:00 PM »
I guess my buddy needed to replace his.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #8 on: Sunday,March 17, 2019, 12:45:13 PM »
A few updates; Got a Certificate of Provenance from Andy Graham at Lotus along with his letter identifying the details of the car (or lack of details as Lotus lost a lot of the records on Elans in a flood at the factory) and as usual I can't leave well enough alone. Decided to have the weber's rebuilt (sent them off to Pierce Manifolds in CA) as they hadn't been touched. Also did a compression test with 180 across all four cylinders (+/- 1 psi) as a couple of people have asked. Once the carbs come back and reinstalled and tuned, the Elan will be ready for summer driving weather.

« Last Edit: Sunday,March 17, 2019, 12:56:08 PM by Certified Lotus »

Offline BDA

« Reply #9 on: Sunday,March 17, 2019, 02:00:25 PM »
There's nothing wrong with that motor and there should be no worries about the result from their work on your carbs! Have you considered putting it on Bringatrailer.com?

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #10 on: Sunday,March 17, 2019, 02:20:25 PM »
I’m not a big BAT fan. I am not very tolerant to all the commentary going on. About 6 months ago I was bidding on an Elan in San Diego CA that was completely disassembled. Was the high bidder at the time and out of no where the seller says the car needs to be picked up and removed within 2 days of the auction ending. Never mentioned it the entire time until we where within days of the auction ending. Anyway, I complained to BAT and had my bid removed. Then there was the time I was bidding on an Elan located in SF. Wasn’t the high bidder but the high bidder backed out and BAT said I could buy the car for my bid. Had an inspection done and realized why the high bidder backed out and lost his deposit.

Would rather sell to someone who knows to look on an enthusiast site.

Offline 1970EuropaGuy

• Lotus Europa Restoration
« Reply #11 on: Sunday,March 17, 2019, 02:42:05 PM »
Great looking car but my wife says one Lotus is one too many. Someone will enjoy it.

Offline BDA

« Reply #12 on: Sunday,March 17, 2019, 02:47:19 PM »
I completely understand! A buddy of mine has bought some cars there and it worked out fine but if I had your experience, I be shy about BAT, too. I generally don't like to bid in auctions because if I win, I know it was because I was willing to pay more than anybody else!

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #13 on: Sunday,June 30, 2019, 02:40:45 PM »
I'm downsizing and selling the house. Time to sell the toys.  Price reduction on the 1965 Lotus Elan S2: $35K 

See video I shot today of this car:  https://youtu.be/BqCVmZCNaHA
« Last Edit: Sunday,June 30, 2019, 02:42:19 PM by Certified Lotus »

Offline dakazman

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday,July 02, 2019, 09:56:38 AM »
Certified
You can probably upsize down here as I did.
Three to one and lower taxes. No state tax either.

Just Sayin’
Dakazman