Author Topic: My Europa in Belgium  (Read 4165 times)

Offline elcaminokid

My Europa in Belgium
« on: Wednesday,September 02, 2015, 09:27:05 AM »
Hi all, here's some pictures of my Europa.
I got the car beginning of this year from the US. I especially went for this car as it was already fitted with a Spyder chassis.

I did quite a few updates in the last couple of months to it...

What I have done so far:
PO informed me the wiring was redone, but turn signals didn't work and also one of the window motors wasn't.
So, my first job was to get the wiring sorted. It was rebuilt but with an original style wire harness.
The original wiring is crazy routed. The guys at Lotus (or Lucas) must have been on acid when they designed that wiring. And a fuse block with just two fuses? I didn't want any of that so I built a complete new wiring from scratch. Could have (should have?) gone with a Painless but decided to built my own.
I did a 1951 Ford F1 last year with 8 circuits, but this was something different...I now have a separate fuse for each circuit in the car and added a bunch of relays which are each separate fused as well. In total just under 30 fuses and 9 relays. And it all works  :D

One of the struggles with my new wiring was going to be the rear lights: I didn't want to reuse the Lucas DB10 module so had to find EU units. Missed out on a few on the 'bay but then I remembered the Overhaulin' Europa with the Elise/Exige rear lights. Found a set with a guy local to me who converted his car to LED and fitted the outers to my car. I think using both inners and outers would have made the reaer end look a bit busy on mine with the exhaust which exits near where the inner light would have been. I think the final result on mine looks pretty good too.

I also changed the dashboard to a homebuilt one in alumin(i)um as I was not happy with the original and, here too, wanted a less cluttered design. I'll post pictures of it later.
Next on the to do list it to build a new center console as in my design, I cannot reuse the original.

It's equipped with a 45 DCOE which I had rebuilt as the engine wasn't running very well and I've also switched to breakerless ignition (had to change the Tacho for this). Immediately I noticed a big change in starting the engine with the points removed and the Pertronix installed. Still need to have the carb fine tuned now, but it's already running very nice.

Now for the pics:

Offline BDA

Re: My Europa in Belgium
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,September 02, 2015, 09:35:41 AM »
 :Welcome:    (now I see this isn't your first post, but if I've welcomed you all ready, that's ok!)

Very nice ride, elcaminokid! It sounds like you've greatly improved the wiring! I didn't realize the S2 (or do you have an S1?) only had 2 fuses! They got a lot better with the Twin Cam. It came with four!

Offline Serge

• http://sleurs-motorsport.com
    • Sleurs Motorsport
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,September 02, 2015, 10:19:59 AM »
Hi!

Another Europa in Belgium! I live in Limburg and I have a few friends with Europa's in Brussels (all of us have S1s).

Does your car still have the wedge-head engine? It seems that very few still have their original engines around here. Love the minilites! Looking forward to the pictures of the dash. Do you also have a wiring diagram? One of the jobs that I still need to do and am not really looking forward to.

Kind regards,

Serge
http://sleurs-motorsport.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/sleursmotorsport

Offline elcaminokid

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,September 02, 2015, 01:50:16 PM »
Does your car still have the wedge-head engine? It seems that very few still have their original engines around here.

Hi Serge, no crossflow engine in mine either. Not sure it's supposed to for a federal?

Looking forward to the pictures of the dash. Do you also have a wiring diagram? One of the jobs that I still need to do and am not really looking forward to.

I don't have a wiring diagram. I have some basics diagrams from my hot-rodding days which I modified while I went along. But majority is just by making a check list and assigning colours for each line, and then build it, rather then drawing it out first.
Didn't have time to make pictures of the finished dash tonight, it'll have to wait a few more days. But here's a picture of what I started with:

btw, I live North of Brussels so speak Flemish too.

Offline elcaminokid

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,September 02, 2015, 01:56:17 PM »
:Welcome:    (now I see this isn't your first post, but if I've welcomed you all ready, that's ok!)

Very nice ride, elcaminokid! It sounds like you've greatly improved the wiring! I didn't realize the S2 (or do you have an S1?) only had 2 fuses! They got a lot better with the Twin Cam. It came with four!

Thanks!
Here's a picture of the entire fuse box as I removed it from the car. It also has 4 fuses:

...but 2 of them are just spares  :WTF:

All the old wiring I removed from the car fits in one, big box...

And this is the stuff I ordered when I started building. Well, the first order. There were a few more orders...you always forget some things, and find out other ways to improve what you're doing along the way, so restart some of it...

Offline HealeyBN7

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,September 02, 2015, 04:15:22 PM »
you also have a wiring diagram?

Serge,

I did something similar in that I completely replaced the stock wiring with a multi-fuse kit.  Mine was from EZ-wire. I documented my wiring diagrams in the .pdf. below, which I recently updated for my FI installation.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/lotuseuropa/files/Zetec%20S2%20Wiring%2C%20Fuel%20Injection%2C%20OMEX%20600%2C%20MegaJolt%20Manual/

Dean
« Last Edit: Wednesday,September 02, 2015, 04:17:49 PM by HealeyBN7 »

Offline blasterdad

« Reply #6 on: Friday,September 04, 2015, 08:44:04 PM »
 :Welcome:
Oh the joys of PO'S wiring attempts, just went through all that on our MG.
Everything he did I removed & replaced, (some people should not be allowed to play with wire).
It seems MG'S weren't too concerned about fuses either! Very similar to the Lotus.
Beautiful S2 by the way! Nice work on the wiring!   

Offline HealeyBN7

« Reply #7 on: Saturday,September 05, 2015, 05:30:39 AM »
The car looks great by the way.   Do you know who is the maker for the wheels?  They look very nice.

Dean

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #8 on: Monday,September 07, 2015, 04:33:33 AM »
Great car.  tell me about the bumpers please, are they steel bumpers painted black or is the body painted.  black.

Offline elcaminokid

« Reply #9 on: Friday,September 18, 2015, 07:11:41 AM »
Great car.  tell me about the bumpers please, are they steel bumpers painted black or is the body painted.  black.

The bumpers are just painted on...
All for Colin...saves extra weight that way  8)

Offline BDA

« Reply #10 on: Friday,September 18, 2015, 07:25:09 AM »
Chunky would be proud!  ;D

Offline elcaminokid

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday,September 23, 2015, 08:52:10 AM »
Here's two pictures of the new fusebox I built.
Still have some extra space for additional fuses  8)

There was another box for just 4 modules, but it didn't have the brackets like this one, so that's why in the end I used the bigger one.
There is a fuse for each switch/circuit and all of the relays are fused as well.

There are two more relays (fan and electric fuel pump) which are close to the part and some in line fuses as well...

Offline BDA

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday,September 23, 2015, 09:21:34 AM »
Very nicely done!

I forgot to ask if you're going to follow the Lucas wire color standard?
« Last Edit: Wednesday,September 23, 2015, 08:39:47 PM by BDA »

Offline elcaminokid

« Reply #13 on: Monday,September 28, 2015, 12:37:51 PM »
Very nicely done!

I forgot to ask if you're going to follow the Lucas wire color standard?

No I didn't. Originally I was thinking to do just that, but while reading the wiring diagram, I realised majority of the feed wires for a lot of the switches would have to be green.
I used one colour for each part of the circuit.

Offline Rosco5000

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday,September 29, 2015, 09:34:38 AM »
That is very tidy looking set up you have there. 
Is there a plug in the bottom of the fuse box that then supplies the power into the cabin of the car through the fiberglass?
1974 Europa Special
1969 Europa S2
1970 Lotus Elan +2
1978 Austin Mini - 1275, big brakes
1991 Ford Explorer - Lifted on 33s, custom lift and radius arms
2005 Chrysler 300C - chipped, lowered 22s
2011 Cadillac Escalade - Stage 3 cam, Headers, CAI, 2,600 stall converter