Author Topic: Lotus 47 #GT54 racing at Spa Francorchamps  (Read 5539 times)

Offline Nockenwelle

Lotus 47 #GT54 racing at Spa Francorchamps
« on: Sunday,May 20, 2018, 01:13:26 PM »
I went to Spa Francorchamps this weekend to see the Spa Classic 2018 event. Spa is a special place for classic racing events as you get really close to the cras and the race track. Main attraction for me this year was the participation of a Lotus 47. 47s are quite rare on the race track and I've never seen one racing before.

Lotus 47 #GT54 was entered by a German driver in the Classic Endurance series where it competes with cars like a Chevron B16, Chevrolet Corvette, Porsche 908, Lola T70, Ferrari 250 GT, etc. in the same race. The 47s class is the one with up to 2.0 l displacement.

I talked to the driver and he told me some details about the car. He installed a Cosworth 1.6l FVA engine in it which produces an incredible 260hp. The engine revs up to 9000rpm but below of 6000rpm there is literally no power. With installed roll cage, fire extinguisher, etc. the weights 605kg. He had problems with the windscreen not staying in the surround as the body is not stiff enough. The wind pressure just pushed it into the car so he fixed the screen with some additional clamps. He reports that driving through the famous 'Eau Rouge' the car gets pretty light at the front.

Best lap of the car was 2min 48s around the 7km race track. I bet you enjoy some pictures I've taken at the track:

Offline BDA

Re: Lotus 47 #GT54 racing at Spa Francorchamps
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,May 20, 2018, 01:40:34 PM »
Thanks for the great pictures, Nockenwelle! Thankfully there are still grid girls!

I would guess that the Chevron and the 47 were in the same class. That seems unfair to the 47.

260 hp seems pretty good since (if I remember correctly) the Formula Atlantic BDAs of the '70s were making in the neighborhood of 240 hp.

Offline Nockenwelle

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,May 20, 2018, 01:49:09 PM »
I'll attach the PDF with the race results so everybody can check the racing classes.

Cheers, Klaus

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #3 on: Sunday,May 20, 2018, 10:01:45 PM »
That looks a great day at the racetrack, some cracking photos there. Thanks for posting.

Brian

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #4 on: Monday,May 21, 2018, 03:19:33 AM »
Excellent photos and thanks for the write-up! Amazing the power band doesn’t kick in until 6000rpm’s.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,May 22, 2018, 09:03:13 AM »
Thanks for posting. Very nice photos of the 47. I would love to have seen this car run in anger. And..., thank goodness there's still grid girls.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Nockenwelle

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,May 22, 2018, 10:18:57 AM »
At Spa there is always a relaxed atmosphere. And the Spa Six Hours girls are even hotter and you got a chance to see them this year in September ^-^

Offline Mecky

• Lotus Europa Racing
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,May 22, 2019, 03:30:53 AM »
I went to Spa Francorchamps this weekend to see the Spa Classic 2018 event. Spa is a special place for classic racing events as you get really close to the cras and the race track. Main attraction for me this year was the participation of a Lotus 47. 47s are quite rare on the race track and I've never seen one racing before.

Lotus 47 #GT54 was entered by a German driver in the Classic Endurance series where it competes with cars like a Chevron B16, Chevrolet Corvette, Porsche 908, Lola T70, Ferrari 250 GT, etc. in the same race. The 47s class is the one with up to 2.0 l displacement.

I talked to the driver and he told me some details about the car. He installed a Cosworth 1.6l FVA engine in it which produces an incredible 260hp. The engine revs up to 9000rpm but below of 6000rpm there is literally no power. With installed roll cage, fire extinguisher, etc. the weights 605kg. He had problems with the windscreen not staying in the surround as the body is not stiff enough. The wind pressure just pushed it into the car so he fixed the screen with some additional clamps. He reports that driving through the famous 'Eau Rouge' the car gets pretty light at the front.

Best lap of the car was 2min 48s around the 7km race track. I bet you enjoy some pictures I've taken at the track:
Hallo Klaus,

schön, dass es auch noch andere Europa-Enthusiasten in Deutschland gibt.

Damn, that car is great. I have never lapped Spa faster than 3:10 min or something like that in my Type 54, but with short shifting (cooling problem) and around 100 HP less that's not too much of a surprise.