Author Topic: cylinder head stamp  (Read 3364 times)

Offline EuropatcSPECIAL

• Europa Special 74, Elan Sprint 73
cylinder head stamp
« on: Sunday,February 08, 2015, 11:44:21 AM »
Evening all.
                Im looking to buy a special. The N stamp is almost invisible but it is there and it is at 90 degrees to the front of the engine. My question is, on my Elan BV the N is quite clear and visible. Is it that these stamps vary from quite pronounced to hardly readable. The car had another engine rebuilt and put into it. I am told it was out of a +2 5 speed BV.  The car appears genuine but it does no harm to make enquiries.
many thanks
Stuart

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: cylinder head stamp
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,February 08, 2015, 04:55:04 PM »
I thought the cylinder head on a Europa was different from an Elan, due to the cam and pulley for the alternator drive.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Sunday,February 08, 2015, 11:37:23 PM »
Hi Stuart,

I can't be much help on the question of the ID stamp as mine is the plain TC, however it wouldn't surprise me to find a difference across the production if it's something that's added by a bloke with a hammer on the assembly line !  To go any further I think you'll need some dismantling or possibly a compression test which most sellers might get wary about.

The +2 engine tale could be genuine but as has already been noted this would need the complete head assembly from the Europa's engine. It would also need the front cover as the outlet for the water pump is different (front rather than side outlet). It could be that the block was rebuilt (or cynically, just removed from the car) and the Europa parts swapped over.

So I think there's got to be an element of trust in the equation and personally I'd go on how the car looks & drives. Assuming the chassis/registration details check out and it's got the 5sp gearbox then from period road tests the Special should be virtually identical to the Elan Spring in terms of acceleration,  so driving back to back might work ?   

Brian

Offline EuropatcSPECIAL

« Reply #3 on: Monday,February 09, 2015, 09:54:37 AM »
Thank you Brian and 4129,
                                     The car runs like a dream and pulls well. The gear change is a bit vague at the moment but nothing that can not be sorted.
thanks again
Stuart

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Monday,February 09, 2015, 01:02:49 PM »
The gear change is a bit vague at the moment

:) 

Rest assured then, you have a proper Europa there.   Stir it around and any compass point which gives you a gear is a good one.....   ;)

Offline EuropatcSPECIAL

« Reply #5 on: Monday,February 09, 2015, 03:05:28 PM »
lol I do remember many moons ago when I had one, on the odd occasion when second decided to play hide and seek all you could do was keep trying till it came out to play again
all the best
Stuart

Offline 4129R

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,February 10, 2015, 01:31:48 AM »
Thank you Brian and 4129,
                                     The car runs like a dream and pulls well. The gear change is a bit vague at the moment but nothing that can not be sorted.
thanks again
Stuart

When I had my first 1975 TCS in 1978, the gear change was like stirring soup, so no change 37 years later.

I bought a new gear change rod with the U/Js from the Chelsea Lotus dealer, Len Street, located in Drayton Gardens SW10, sadly long gone. That fixed the problem. It then became like stirring porridge.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,February 10, 2015, 08:29:36 AM »
Please excuse my ignorance, but I am not familiar with the 'N' stamp on the cylinder head. What does is signify?
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline EuropatcSPECIAL

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,February 10, 2015, 10:46:52 AM »
Good evening Trevor, The letter N is found in the trough where the spark plugs are. In front of No 1 plug there is a round in the casting. The letter N or it can look like a Z is stamped on it. This is one of the indicators that it is a big valve head. The N should be 90 degrees to the front of the engine, thats why it can be seen as a Z
well thats my understanding anyway
4149r I used to get lots of stuff off Len Street and Yardlywood Lotus dealers in Birmingham.  It was all C.O.D in those days or send a cheque let it clear and wait for your parts
good old days. Both my old Europa's are still registered
all the best
Stuart

Offline 4129R

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday,February 10, 2015, 01:55:02 PM »
Good evening Trevor, The letter N is found in the trough where the spark plugs are. In front of No 1 plug there is a round in the casting. The letter N or it can look like a Z is stamped on it. This is one of the indicators that it is a big valve head. The N should be 90 degrees to the front of the engine, thats why it can be seen as a Z
well thats my understanding anyway
4149r I used to get lots of stuff off Len Street and Yardlywood Lotus dealers in Birmingham.  It was all C.O.D in those days or send a cheque let it clear and wait for your parts
good old days. Both my old Europa's are still registered
all the best
Stuart

Mine was JEX591N the 5th or 6th last TCS ever made. Should never have sold it, but kids came along. JEX590N was in the Lotus museum for ages until the receivers sold it at auction.

Offline EuropatcSPECIAL

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,February 11, 2015, 02:29:58 PM »
4129r you should have had the kids adopted. You could have written to them.
all the best
Stuart

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday,February 11, 2015, 10:20:03 PM »
you should have had the kids adopted. You could have written to them.

:)

and even better, you'd have been able to take them for days out in the Europa !

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #12 on: Thursday,February 12, 2015, 08:12:56 AM »
OK, I know the stamping you refer to. I had no idea what it meant.

Cheers Mate.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor