Author Topic: Bugle horm exhaust... need opinions  (Read 2119 times)

Offline exarkun1178

Bugle horm exhaust... need opinions
« on: Saturday,May 31, 2014, 01:41:17 PM »
Ok, so two weeks i stopped by the shop.  I was talking with the mechanic; each time i go he brings up issues / challenges he runs into as he proceeds with the restoration.  during this conversation he brought up the fact that the existing SS muffler that did bolt right up to the stock exhaust manifold no longer bolts up to the new exhaust header (bought from R&D).  i choose not to buy the matching mild steep muffler.  Anyways  we started talking about retrofitting the SS muffler i had.  we'd end up having to delete the luggage box.  I told him i didn't care if i had a muffler or not, and said cant we just run a straight pipe to the original exit (see last picture)  he then thought maybe a slanted pipe out the bottom.  wasn't thrilled with that and said, why not angle it down and cut it so you cant even see the exhaust.  we agreed.  i left feeling good, i don't much care for exhaust tips anyway.

I head down to the shop today.  We are looking at the car (first time in 10 months the body and chassis are one.

as we walk around her says to me, "i fabb'd up the exhaust, i hope you like what i did"

i come around the corner expecting to NOT see and exhaust.  instead  i have a filppin' bugle horn sticking way out the back!

I didnt really say much about it, other then "well, that looks different"

Im the type of guy that doesn't make quick judgments.  i sit on things.  so im sitting.  not sure what to make of the horn.  I will add, my vision for the car is lotus with a bit of hotrod.  I suppose the trumpet would fall into a bit of hotrod.  but think the horn is too much.  too big, too silly.

I want to ask you opinion on the thing.  be direct and honest, should i just whack the thing off?

Last pick is how it was originally set up.

Offline cal44

Re: Bugle horm exhaust... need opinions
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,May 31, 2014, 02:13:05 PM »
didn't bugle exhausts go out in the 80's (thank gawd).  No, it doesn't look good and Bugles are for eating or getting soldiers up at 4:00 am for breakfast.

Since you don't care about the luggage tray then why not install the pipe out the same place the hole it located.  It appears that the pipe  is half way down so why not come up a tad with a "S" fitting and go through the hole?  I always like that look anyway.

All of the tubing bends can be purchased or have a muffler shop (they do the type of work all the time) do some bends on their machines or have a single pipe made then clamp to the header, or however the attachment area works.   Do not weld everything together, use "U" clamps.   That way stuff comes apart, when it is welded........well, it ain't good.   All of my Elans and the Europa can have their exhausts removed within twenty minutes (sans the exhaust manifold).

If you want the luggage tray then cut out the section where the pipe will hit, make repairs to the fiberglass and install heat resistant weave with a sheet metal buffer. 

So, maybe one "S" bend or two "L" bends with straight pipes between.  All IMHO

mike

« Last Edit: Saturday,May 31, 2014, 02:22:18 PM by cal44 »
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Saturday,May 31, 2014, 10:06:48 PM »
For me, the original exit looks the best solution and certainly neater than having an exhaust underneath. 

But again I don't see it as a big deal and as re-work would just slow down the build and no doubt upset your mechanic, I'd live with it and concentrate on getting the car on the road again. Then if it still bugs you it's one of those weekend projects where you can play around with bits of pipe in your garage to get the look you want.

Brian

Offline exarkun1178

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,June 01, 2014, 02:39:01 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

now that Ive had a day to think about it... I have to at least hear what the car sounds like.  if it sounds awesome, then ill likely leave it.  if it sounds any less then awesome, im whacking the thing off!

What was the guy thinking putting that thing on there???!!!

Offline StephenH

« Reply #4 on: Monday,June 02, 2014, 12:23:18 AM »
My opinion is to go back to the drawing board and include a muffler in the build.
I'm not one for shiny things that don't add something positive (being loud doesn't count).

However, it is your car so you get to choose, which is as it should be :)
Stephen
54/1690 1969 S2

Offline Europaforever

« Reply #5 on: Monday,June 02, 2014, 02:53:17 AM »
There's someone else in the world doing the same as me, I'm not mad then! I just spent
the whole weekend making up an exhaust to come out exactly through the grill!

I run a straight through exhaust (bugle) that poked out the back from underneath 12 inches,
thought I had the job done and my wife came out and laughed, said it looked ridiculous and
to do it properly. SO I started again and last night just got it mocked up to come out where
its supposed to (the grill)!

I have an S2 with a gordini engine and 365 5 speed. I got it running in the end
(my last post) but couldn't seem to add any photos of the car. The exhaust sounded terrible, but ran well,
hence me making up a new system. Good to know I'm not alone, cutting up exhausts while everyone else
seemed to be sunbathing, yes in England...

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #6 on: Monday,June 02, 2014, 06:58:07 AM »
Do you have any pictures showing the engine bay view of the exhaust installation. Maybe it's the perspective, but how much ground clearance do you have. And yes, it does look a little "odd".

Joji Tokumoto
Fallbrook, Ca

Offline exarkun1178

« Reply #7 on: Monday,June 02, 2014, 05:20:52 PM »
There's someone else in the world doing the same as me, I'm not mad then! I just spent
the whole weekend making up an exhaust to come out exactly through the grill!

Are you saying you also have a bugle exhaust?  do you have pictures?  maybe an audio clip? 

Offline exarkun1178

« Reply #8 on: Monday,November 24, 2014, 08:34:23 AM »
Now that the car has been on the road in the wild, this car is loud! and sounds like 1960 F1 car.  i am for sure keeping the horn now.