Author Topic: '71 S2 with 4AGE conversion on sale at BaT  (Read 697 times)

Offline jbcollier

Re: '71 S2 with 4AGE conversion on sale at BaT
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday,November 07, 2023, 05:40:02 AM »
Someone measured how much the unpinned inner yoke moves during the full range of suspension travel.  It was a 1/4" or less (not significant).  It all depends on how closely the added extra link matches the original geometry.

Yes, remove the shims but not the seal run, of course.

Offline GavinT

« Reply #16 on: Friday,November 10, 2023, 10:19:25 PM »
Yep, 1/4 inch isn't much but it does indicate the separate upper link is tracing a different arc than stock.
Dunno how much wheel camber change that might translate to - maybe 3° ± ?

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #17 on: Saturday,November 11, 2023, 07:19:32 AM »
Still really cannot get my head around the stock design, attaching suspension components to a rubber suspended (movable) transaxle and engine. Vectors from all directions; engine torque and momentum on acceleration and deceleration, independent suspension movement from left and right, etc… seems to work though.

Offline BDA

« Reply #18 on: Saturday,November 11, 2023, 12:00:13 PM »
It finally sold for $10,750 which is down from the $12,971 the seller bought it for. It is disappointing that it apparently lost value but besides its poor paint, it seemed to be somewhat of a FrankenEuropa as one poster noted that one front fender was from a type 54 and the other from a type 65. From what I could tell, the headlights were at different positions relative to the front edge of the bonnet and the side marker lights are at different levels with respect to the front bumper. Also, the cable shifter was admittedly not dialed in. Now I don't know anything about setting up a cable shifter but I have to wonder why they didn't take care of that if all it was was an adjustment...

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #19 on: Sunday,November 12, 2023, 12:41:50 AM »
I watched the final bidding war.
You would think the rules would be understood by now.
You cannot "Snipe" on BAT, but bids in the last couple of seconds went on over and over again.  ::)

From what I am seeing these particular conversions have some serious issues without extensive work being done to convert the alternator drive to run off a cam.
Electric water pump too.

Polopharm can testify to that, and how is his car coming along these days?

Offline BDA

« Reply #20 on: Sunday,November 12, 2023, 09:13:15 AM »
I emailed him after seeing his post on the auction. He still has his Europa and has still not decided whether to sell it or finish fixing it. He estimates that the cost of fixing it and the hit he would likely take on it would be roughly the same so that's the reason for his indecision but he's still working on it. He sounds close to having a reasonable driver as he's working on better alternator and A/C compressor brackets. On the other hand, there aren't a lot of great roads in South Florida, driving the highways doesn't seem to interest him from a driving or safety standpoint, and he has a new-to-him race car project so his attentions are divided...

If those brackets are really the worst problem he has, I would fix that and drive it. It should be a great car and to have A/C in Florida would make the car so much more useable there! I would also think a sorted 4AGE Europa would easily be worth the $26K he paid for it but that's me. I have very poor appraisal skills and different motivations than worrying about how much my car might or might not be worth.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #21 on: Sunday,November 12, 2023, 01:53:03 PM »
   Does he have the time to put into it?
   I agree that he should keep it and drive it.  I don't know TC alternators but what kind of bracket does he need?
  Drive it and enjoy.
 Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #22 on: Sunday,November 12, 2023, 02:07:33 PM »
Since he has a Toyota motor in his, I suspect that a creative solution to the alternator and compressor brackets will be required. Now that he has a new toy (race car), time is a more precious commodity.