Author Topic: '71 S2 with 4AGE conversion on sale at BaT  (Read 696 times)

Online BDA

'71 S2 with 4AGE conversion on sale at BaT
« on: Saturday,November 04, 2023, 01:36:04 PM »
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-lotus-europa-17/

This car has some interesting features. The Toyota 4AGE motor being maybe the most interesting (if it was done well. Some of us might remember the problems our own Polopharm had with his Europa with a 4AGE conversion. This car appears to run pretty good though I might expect a smoother cold idle with fuel injection. It has one of Richard's/Banks'/Europa Engineering twin link rear suspensions. Unfortunately, the rear brakes were not updated. It has a removable sun roof. The interior needs some work and the paint has a lot of cracks in it. The tranny utilizes a cable shifter that the owner admits requires some servicing.

It was bought from a Bat auction in April 2017 with mileage claimed to be in the neighborhood of 82K miles (there was a speedo change). The Speedo showed 62 miles. The car now shows 292 miles meaning that in six years, the current owner apparently only put 230 miles on it. There is no explanation for the low number of miles put on it under the current owner. One hopes it's not because of some unfortunate circumstance of the owner's.

The auction has currently been up for a couple of hours and the bid is up to $8000. The owner purchased it for a little less than $13,000.

It appears the owner will make some money on the car. It could be a good rolling restomod.

Offline cazman

Re: '71 S2 with 4AGE conversion on sale at BaT
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,November 04, 2023, 02:09:16 PM »
Are cracks in the paint like that indicative of fiberglass stress or failure?
1973 Europa TCS

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #2 on: Saturday,November 04, 2023, 10:38:15 PM »
I'm guessing that most of the cracks in that paint are a problem of the paint itself. Or perhaps improper paint prep, but I don't think it's an indication of failing fiberglass underneath.

An interesting project for someone who is willing to sink some money into it, finish it off into the fine road car it could be. All the hard work is done, some fettling needed to get it all right, but a complete strip and repaint is in order.

The 4AGE is an interesting swap, but it seems it's a bit more troublesome than the Z-Tech conversions. How much power does a 20 valve 4AGE put out?
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline GavinT

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,November 04, 2023, 10:50:49 PM »
Are cracks in the paint like that indicative of fiberglass stress or failure?

Almost certainly.
Many of the cracks are exactly where we would expect to see them.
Overall, it looks like a not so old paint job over a minimally prepared surface.
« Last Edit: Saturday,November 04, 2023, 10:56:48 PM by GavinT »

Offline Clifton

« Reply #4 on: Sunday,November 05, 2023, 02:15:45 AM »
It wouldn't take much to make that nice. The 20 valve 4age's are Japan only motors and made the most. Garage 4age on youtube does a lot of dyno work on the 4 valve motors and gets like 200 whp at like 9,000 rpm with not much work, 150 whp on these with intake/exhaust.

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #5 on: Sunday,November 05, 2023, 06:21:48 AM »
Interesting rear suspension. Why the “upper”  control arms while retaining the solid halfshalfs?  I guess they take some strain off the u-joints and gearbox.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #6 on: Sunday,November 05, 2023, 06:37:55 AM »
It seems you have two upper control arms now, one bolted to the chassis and the other (half-shaft) moves with the transmission and the lower control arm as they are mounted to the transmission with rubber mounts to the chassis ….  :confused:
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #7 on: Sunday,November 05, 2023, 07:47:51 AM »
If I recall you don't fit the roll pin into the gearbox output drive to driveshaft links when you fit the upper control arm so the driveshaft is no longer an upper link as well.

Offline SwiftDB4

« Reply #8 on: Sunday,November 05, 2023, 09:04:54 AM »
If I recall you don't fit the roll pin into the gearbox output drive to driveshaft links when you fit the upper control arm so the driveshaft is no longer an upper link as well.
Correct. Twin link has worked well for me. Bearings and u joints now last longer.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #9 on: Sunday,November 05, 2023, 09:21:40 AM »
Swift,
You still u-joints on both ends of shaft? I would like to make twin link at some point....
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Online BDA

« Reply #10 on: Sunday,November 05, 2023, 09:57:12 AM »
When I got my twin link kit from Ricard Winter (of Banks Service Station/Europa Engineering) back in the '90s, it came with a CV joint to provide the plunge. Of course, that required new half shafts to be made up.

At some point, I presume after Richard sold his kit, Richard Mann (our own "Lotus 47") developed a way to implement a twin link without making up a new cross member or requiring a new drive shaft. He discusses it starting here (https://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=1724.msg15757#msg15757). He just unpins the inner half shaft U-joint from the output shaft. I was a little skeptical about that but it appears to work well enough. Looking at the twin link kit Europa Engineering now sells, there are no CV joints included so apparently Richard Winter agrees with Richard Mann that unpinning the inner U-joint is perfectly acceptable.

Online Kendo

« Reply #11 on: Sunday,November 05, 2023, 10:18:43 AM »
Not mentioned, but I imagine one would remove all of the shims so the half shafts don’t bottom out with any inward movement.

Online BDA

« Reply #12 on: Sunday,November 05, 2023, 11:52:58 AM »
Yes. As I was typing that, I wondered if it was necessary to shorten the inner U-joints on a lathe. but I suspect it's not.

Offline SwiftDB4

« Reply #13 on: Sunday,November 05, 2023, 03:13:50 PM »
Swift,
You still u-joints on both ends of shaft? I would like to make twin link at some point....
Yes it has u joints at both ends. Could have gone with CV's, but gave up on suitable stub axles. 24K miles later I'm happy.
If you keep the upper link parallel to the driveshaft and heim joints position same as the u joints the driveshaft splines move very little.
Use moly grease on the splines and no noticeable wear after 24K miles.

Offline GavinT

« Reply #14 on: Sunday,November 05, 2023, 08:57:52 PM »

If you keep the upper link parallel to the driveshaft and heim joints position same as the u joints the driveshaft splines move very little.
Use moly grease on the splines and no noticeable wear after 24K miles.

Noted . . . though that's the bit that always makes me wince a little.

Sliding half shafts usually incorporate substantial components designed for the application and located on the shaft itself.
I guess a slip yoke on a conventional tail shaft performs in a similar fashion but is also invariably much longer than a Europa output UJ yoke . . . but, if it works, it works.
« Last Edit: Sunday,November 05, 2023, 09:38:59 PM by GavinT »