Author Topic: One thing leads to another...  (Read 195 times)

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
One thing leads to another...
« on: Wednesday,May 10, 2023, 10:31:03 AM »
Noted, in my weekly 'fluid level check' that my brake MC level was down.  Hmmmm...been ok since last year when I bled out the system...so...checked the jumpers I made in the engine room.  Dry and tight.  Jack standed the front of the car, removed the front wheels...and noted a puddle under the center of cross box. 

Stuck my finger in the puddle...hmmm...feels like brake fluid.  Removed the close plate...MC and its unions are dry.  No weeping from the coolant hoses.  But, in the center, where the bundy pipe from the rear comes north to go thru the box to the 3-way for the calipers...it was right over where the puddle of fluid is.

Damn.  Well...front is up on stands.  Off to the box of brake parts...and shazam! I have both sizes of the male pipe nuts (the one closest to the frame is the front brakes per the diagram) for the 3/16" brake piping.  Needed the females for the ends to mate with the flex hoses.  And, probably a good idea to get a few (3?) for the three-way for the calipers.  Ray to the rescue.  On their way. 

Figure I'll just remove the entire run of bundy from the MC to the rear and back to the front for the front caliper circuit, and plumb in new bundy, fresh nuts, new flex hoses...and, since I'm pulling apart the front brakes, rebuild the calipers, wheel bearings, new disks, install the Spax shocks and shorter springs.

But...investigating the condition of the ball joints and trunnions...well...they need attention, too.  See photos.  Guess I found ONE reason why the steering and directional stability was a bit wonky.  Fresh stuff is always preferable.  2 big hammers to the rescue to pop them out (with a little blue wrench heating persuasion if need be...).  Clean it all up, fresh coat of paint...it'll be good to go.  Not the first time I've done a front end rebuild.

Got some work to do over the next month, I guess.  Aim is to have it done so I can get to the Brits at Bristol show on 6/10.

Oh, btw, the grease cap for the front bearings should have a hole in the center of the cap.  It's a 10-32 thread so you can screw in a machine screw against the head of the axle to pop the cap off without having to take a set of channel-locks and bend it up.  Just FYI; most have them, some don't. 

Isn't owning a Europa fun?
« Last Edit: Wednesday,May 10, 2023, 10:45:09 AM by Bryan Boyle »
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Offline jbcollier

Re: One thing leads to another...
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,May 10, 2023, 11:00:48 AM »
Next stop after restored or repaired is worn out again.  The circle of life.

Offline Bryan Boyle

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,May 10, 2023, 11:14:15 AM »
Next stop after restored or repaired is worn out again.  The circle of life.

Indeed.  Looks like I've got some quality time wrenching ahead of me...

Note to self: pick up a 5lb hammer and selection of pickle forks.  Sigh.  More tools for the tool chest.
« Last Edit: Thursday,May 11, 2023, 07:20:07 AM by Bryan Boyle »
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #3 on: Friday,May 12, 2023, 07:47:30 AM »
Hi Bryan, from your trunnion photo in the above it appears you are greasing them - correct?  :confused:
I thought these were always to be oil lubricated, but is this just a subject of personal choice?

Offline Bryan Boyle

« Reply #4 on: Friday,May 12, 2023, 11:51:35 AM »
No, they're supposed to be lubed with gear oil (the trunnion is a brass fitting...so the GL4 fluid is proper to lube it).

The grease is the (D)PO's doing.  I'm filling with the proper lube when I reassemble the front corners next week.  Right now, busy cleaning up the calipers, replacing the seals, installing the stainless pistons, installing the spax, and replacing the top ball joint (the steering rod end is tight and not deteriorated.  Besides, if it needs replacing, I don't have to do a total stripdown of the corner to fix it. 

Oh, and replumbing the front brakes to get rid of the loop back to the removed boosters.
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA