Author Topic: Mounting mirrors and things to the body  (Read 269 times)

Offline DreamsOfA47

Mounting mirrors and things to the body
« on: Saturday,March 18, 2023, 10:19:06 AM »
Hello all! I’m going to try and mount my mirrors today and I’m planning on putting them on the body just forward of the doors. I was thinking I’d use well nuts and fasten them that way as opposed to just screws into the fibreglass. Any thoughts or tips?

Offline jbcollier

Re: Mounting mirrors and things to the body
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,March 18, 2023, 12:23:30 PM »
Have an assistant hold them in place while you check how well they work from the driver’s seat.

Offline Clifton

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,March 18, 2023, 03:40:24 PM »
The closer the more visibility.  I used lots of blue tape attaching and holding mine before deciding on final placement.

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
« Reply #3 on: Saturday,March 18, 2023, 06:39:43 PM »
Hello all! I’m going to try and mount my mirrors today and I’m planning on putting them on the body just forward of the doors. I was thinking I’d use well nuts and fasten them that way as opposed to just screws into the fibreglass. Any thoughts or tips?

well nuts may pull out (which may be what you want to happen if someone bangs into them).  I put my california knock-offs further back on the doors  using one of the back holes existing to fit the OEM mounts as the front hole for the base of the replacement mirror, drilled a hole for the rear after sitting in the seat and adjusting the rotation of the base so I could see reasonably well (I stuck a convex mirror on the face of the passenger side to give me more coverage) and filled in the other holes with resin and fiber and rattle can black to cover for now.  Threw the OEMs into a box destined for Steve Veris...

The shape of the body really interferes with a lot of effective mirror placements; it looks cool to have them on the fenders, but I really am not convinced that they work any better there. 

Good feature is that if you miss-drill the holes...it's a lot simpler to rectify than a metal body car.  Not that anyone miss-drills a hole, right?
« Last Edit: Saturday,March 18, 2023, 06:41:47 PM by Bryan Boyle »
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Offline DreamsOfA47

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,March 23, 2023, 08:31:32 AM »
Thanks all for the input! Clifton I can confirm the closer the better by far! JB that's exactly what I did. I had them help adjust the mirrors and stand in the blind spots to help me really dial in the placement. Bryan, yes the ability for the well nuts to pull out if the mirrors are hot was a legitimate consideration given my recent experiences with other people in parking lots! They can be mighty careless. I started a thread previously asking opinions on what typos of mirrors people were using and I settled on black Sebring mirrors with convex glass mounted on the feeders just forward on the windshield. IDK if its the way I'm shaped or perhaps the particular layout of the S1s with the fixed seats but I couldn't find a configuration with the knock-off California wing mirrors I was that I felt gave good visibility. The Sebrings aren't large but I do like the views they offer.

Here's a pic of my car shot by a friend recently. It turns out I haven't taken any for myself lately but I'll endeavor to take and post some after the rain. Tomorrow is forecast to be the sunny all day. Here's hoping for that!