Author Topic: Found! 1974 JPS Twincam  (Read 405 times)

Offline Mark H

• 74 JPS #191
Found! 1974 JPS Twincam
« on: Wednesday,November 02, 2022, 04:40:22 AM »
Hello all, and thank you.
  I've been "lurking" here for a while and finally decided to join.  Good stuff here!
  Last spring my wife and I went to look at a Jag about an hour away from us.  It didn't "grab" us, but the owner was nice and we got to talking about the cars he had in the garage and the cars I have.  We got to Lotus and he said "I have one, I'll show you."  We wandered out to the "back barn" where a number of cars were.  Aston Martin, Morgan Plus 8, TVR Tuscan, etc. etc.  There, in the corner, under a Ferrari 355 on a two level lift was a Black Europa.
  Well, I've wanted a JPS since I was about 15.  I went over, peered inside and was a bit let down.  "Not a numbered car" I said.  "Oh yes it is" he said.  "I removed the number when I put the radio in.  It's number 191, I have the plaque safely stored away."  That began a dance.  He hadn't really thought of selling it (he and his wife left their wedding in it) but he hadn't driven it in about 40 years.  To make a long story short we agreed on a price if it ran.....
  I had just had 2 discs replaced.  He (72 years old) and I worked (slowly) for about 3 weeks changing fluids, new battery, new tires etc.  By accident he had pulled the distributor and put it back in 180 degrees out so our first attempt at starting rewarded us with crank crank BANG.  That fixed, it started.  I bought serial 3801R.
  It still needed a bunch of work to be roadable.  It took some time but mid summer it went out and about.  It is original.  All the bits except for a Pertronics ignition and stainless steel muffler.  At it's age some of the bits are somewhat tatty but I'm moving forward (slowly) with restoration to the extent possible with the original pieces.
  I've learned a lot from you all and would like to thank you.  Not all is gone as planned with the work.  5th gear lives fine in the transmission, but not in the linkage.  Yesterday I pulled the linkage, checked for play, replaced the gear shift bushes, put it all together again and....no 5th.  It won't clock far enough clockwise to depress the detent.  Out it will come again after I get the new center u joint from Ray and I can clock it easier than roll pins......The fun of an old English car.  As an aside, I also have a Caterham with a Twin Cam that my Dad and I but 100 years ago and my wife and I left our wedding in.  English cars are an affliction.....

Best to you all and thanks again.

Mark

Offline dakazman

Re: Found! 1974 JPS Twincam
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,November 02, 2022, 04:49:43 AM »
 :Welcome:
  Wow what luck!
 Many of us have that same dream of finding a numbered JPS.

Good luck with it and we all hope to see some pics soon posted.

Dakazman

Offline Blitzen

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,November 02, 2022, 05:44:10 AM »
 :Welcome:
Welcome to the forum.  That’s a good story but….

:ttiwwp:
« Last Edit: Wednesday,November 02, 2022, 05:46:15 AM by Blitzen »

Offline Kendo

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,November 02, 2022, 07:14:08 AM »
Mark, welcome to the madness 8). Sometimes 5th is hard because of the profile of the gating cam in the back, or because the spring for the detent ball is too stiff. Filing the cam profile and cutting just a little off the spring can help with getting into fifth. Or it’s the linkage, always a good bet.

Online BDA

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,November 02, 2022, 07:44:13 AM »
 :Welcome: Mark!!

Congratulations on your purchase! That was quite a find!

Good luck with your gear linkage! I just found a picture of your baby nestled under your lift in the gallery. Please post some more pictures when you can!
« Last Edit: Wednesday,November 02, 2022, 07:49:38 AM by BDA »

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,November 02, 2022, 08:42:11 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Mark, and congrats on the Europa purchase.  :beerchug: We love pictures, here. Post some up when you get a chance.

I rarely use fifth gear. I only use fifth on large highways, and I very seldom drive on large highways. Whole driving seasons go by with two or three thousand miles accumulated, without engaging fifth gear. This year I only drove about 1500 miles, but never once selected fifth. Nice to have, of course, but a lack of fifth will not impact a nice day-drive.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline tedtaylor

• TaylorMadeClassicCars
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,November 02, 2022, 03:24:57 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Mark, and congrats on the Europa purchase.  :beerchug: We love pictures, here. Post some up when you get a chance.

I rarely use fifth gear. I only use fifth on large highways, and I very seldom drive on large highways. Whole driving seasons go by with two or three thousand miles accumulated, without engaging fifth gear. This year I only drove about 1500 miles, but never once selected fifth. Nice to have, of course, but a lack of fifth will not impact a nice day-drive.

soooooo, you'll be happy to offer up your 5-speed in trade for a 4-speed??? ;)
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'13 Evora S
owned nearly 50 Lotus cars over the years!
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #7 on: Thursday,November 03, 2022, 05:47:27 AM »
I think that my east coast friend is saying that there are only 2 70mph+ roads in his beautiful province.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #8 on: Thursday,November 03, 2022, 09:55:55 AM »

soooooo, you'll be happy to offer up your 5-speed in trade for a 4-speed??? ;)

To be honest, I looked into that very scenario. It was a post by JB Collier on gear ratio spacing of the various transmission offerings that suggested to me that, 5th gear notwithstanding, the 365 trans is still the prime choice. But, thanks for your kind offer, just the same.  ;)
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #9 on: Thursday,November 03, 2022, 09:59:21 AM »
I think that my east coast friend is saying that there are only 2 70mph+ roads in his beautiful province.
Hahaha Not far from the truth. Lots of roads with corners, though, so no complaints.

Trevor

Offline Footer

« Reply #10 on: Thursday,November 03, 2022, 06:01:11 PM »
Welcome to the “club” Mark and congratulations on your JPS.  Lots of good, helpful people here and tons of great information. 
Add some pictures when you can.