Author Topic: Fuel Float Replacement  (Read 114 times)

Offline 2766R

Fuel Float Replacement
« on: Friday,November 04, 2022, 01:22:06 PM »
Although others have addresses this issue, I thought I should add my $.02.
So a couple of weeks ago, I more or less filled up my TCS with gas and fuel stabilizer thinking that it should last the winter.
The gauge showed nearly full for the ride home.  A week or so later, I decided to take advantage of the balmy weather.  Now the fuel gauge is showing almost empty!  On sticking one of the tanks, it was within a gallon or so of being full.  On grounding the sensor wire at the tank, the gauge indicated full.  Next I used a straightened wire hanger with a hook and pulled the sensor arm to its upper limit.  Again, the gauge indicated full.  Now I had to drain off enough gas to remove the sensor and check the float.  Sure enough, the float was pretty much filled with gas. 
On a hunch, I checked Moss Motors online catalog and saw a brass float that look like a viable replacement.  I went ahead and ordered not only the brass float but a lock ring and rubber (viton) ring. 
Then it was off to the local hardware store to pick up a PVC adapter to fabricate a lock ring removal tool.  Wrapped with some masking tape, divided by 3, drilled 3 holes on the marks, completed cutting in 3 slots with a razor saw.  Worked a treat.
As you can see in the photos, the brass float fits in the shepherds crook of the sensor arm as did the original plastic float.  I wound up not needing the lock ring or the gasket; just wanted to have on hand in case...  If the plastic float lasted 50 years, I guess the brass one should last until no more gas (petrol) is made anymore!  Certainly past my life time.

Gerry
72102766R

PS: I meant to include the invoice with the part numbers in case anyone needs to order.     
« Last Edit: Friday,November 04, 2022, 01:27:40 PM by 2766R »

Offline BDA

Re: Fuel Float Replacement
« Reply #1 on: Friday,November 04, 2022, 02:23:15 PM »
Nicely done!  :beerchug: