Author Topic: Restoration of our 73 TCS - 043392R  (Read 811 times)

Offline Quebec_Europa

Re: Restoration of our 73 TCS - 043392R
« Reply #15 on: Friday,July 22, 2022, 04:07:41 AM »
Hello everyone, here are some updates on our project.

We removed the engine and the transmission from the car. We also bought a Weber head.

So here is what we found so far. The engine block is an early Lotus MK1 block (with the round main crankshaft caps). It has also a 4 screws for flywheel crankshaft. Most probably this engine comes from an early Lotus Elan. We knew the engine had been replaced, so now we know with which one :).

We also took some measurments and it seems the cylinders has been bored to 0.020" oversize. Pistons looks new, and they are surely not casted pistons. Probably forged/machined ones. The cylinder walls still shows cross hatchings, they really looks like freshly done.

Here are some pictures of our progress:

Offline BDA

« Reply #16 on: Friday,July 22, 2022, 07:21:24 AM »
How do you keep your garage so neat when doing major work on your car?!

Great progress!  :beerchug:

Online dakazman

« Reply #17 on: Friday,July 22, 2022, 08:12:55 AM »
   Quebec,
    Not that I like to see you tear down your engine, but I'm learning more and more about TC engines. I also like your post because it brings out  little things the books don't show and comments from other experienced TC owners.  :coolpic:
  One( two)other question , Why Webers and what was stock?

so thanks for the guided tour.

Dakazman

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #18 on: Friday,July 22, 2022, 10:05:20 AM »
Quebec :Welcome: Another beauty in La Belle Province. Hope the engine issues are minor. I will be in the area in October/November. PM me if you would like a visit.
Sandy

Offline Quebec_Europa

« Reply #19 on: Saturday,July 23, 2022, 02:39:42 AM »

One( two)other question , Why Webers and what was stock?

This Europa came with the standard Federal (U.S.) head with siameze ports for two Zenith-Stromberg carbs. When we removed that head from the bloc, we discovered an exhaust stud that came off almost by itself. It was put there with a kind of internal threaded insert. The stud and the threaded insert came off leaving a big hole. So that head would have needed at least some repair.

We're member of an english car club here in the province and we met with a multiple Lotus cars owner that happened to have in hand couples of Twink heads. He had about 5 Weber head (with 4 intake ports) in various shape. So we went at his place and he agreed to sell us the Weber head you see in the picture.

We're also taking the route of fuel injection and our goal is to have an engine bay that would look like this in the following picture:

Offline BDA

« Reply #20 on: Saturday,July 23, 2022, 09:09:08 AM »
That’s a pretty engine compartment!

From what I understand from the parts manual, Europas with TC motors (not Federal) came with either Dellortos (four intake runners) or Zenith/Strombergs (two siamesed intake runners). Webers are a common replacement for the Dellortos even though by some (all?) accounts, the Dellortos offer better fuel atomization.

Weber carburetored TC motors are considered to be more desirable by many but from what I’ve heard for general street use, they don’t offer a lot of improvement over the Strombergs. It’s when you go to extract more performance - and again from what I’ve heard - that is likely toward the upper performance range of street motors - that Webers make a big difference. Certainly, Webers are theoretically better because each cylinder is tunable.

Fuel injection is certainly the step above Webers or Dellortos.

I notice the engine in your picture is dry sumped and, given the placement of the oil tank, will likely experience siphoning such that if the car sits up for an extended length of time (days to less than two weeks not weeks to months) the tank will empty and you will start your motor on no oil pressure. The tank should be located lower in relation to the oil pump inlet. There are only two places I know that allow the tank to be low enough - behind the rear wheel and in front of the front trunk. To reduce hose runs, if the tank is mounted in the rear, it should be on the same side as the oil pump.

Offline Quebec_Europa

« Reply #21 on: Sunday,July 24, 2022, 02:57:47 AM »

I notice the engine in your picture is dry sumped and, given the placement of the oil tank, will likely experience siphoning such that if the car sits up for an extended length of time (days to less than two weeks not weeks to months) the tank will empty and you will start your motor on no oil pressure. The tank should be located lower in relation to the oil pump inlet. There are only two places I know that allow the tank to be low enough - behind the rear wheel and in front of the front trunk. To reduce hose runs, if the tank is mounted in the rear, it should be on the same side as the oil pump.

Thanks for that comment but in our case we are not going with the dry sump. We'll simply improve a little bit the oil pan with a better baffle system in order to prevent oil starvation during high cornering. I've shown that picture as a reference for the tidy fuel injection setup :).

So If you guys have other pictures showing fuel injected four intake ports Lotus Europas, I would be glad to see them.