Author Topic: known issues that are best remedied with the body off?  (Read 1078 times)

Offline exarkun1178

known issues that are best remedied with the body off?
« on: Sunday,December 01, 2013, 10:55:39 AM »
The decision was made to lift the body off the backbone.

what should i  look for to replace, reinforce or re engineer?

I'm interested in known issues that are best remedied with the body off?  as an example, its a known rust spot on the elan's - where the front suspension mounts the tube top is open and can collect water - then rusting through. simple fix is to cap the hole.

the current task is to sandblast the frame and apply pur 15.  then reassemble.

so, what have all of you seen? what should i look to do?  :confused:

Thank you,

Rob

Offline cal44

Re: known issues that are best remedied with the body off?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,December 01, 2013, 11:48:40 AM »
Rob,

I can't speak to weak spots in the chassis (I look forward to reading those who know) but  using Por-15 is a dandy idea.  If you don't know (after it is sand blasted), give it some good blasts with compressed air or vacuum the heck out of it using the brush and corner tools from the vacuum.  Then, and this is big, keep wiping down the metal with the Por-15 thinner until the rags are clean.

Por-15 leaves no film like lacquer thinner.  I use the semi-gloss not chassis coat.  And, after I pour it out of the holes I  punched in the lid (do not remove the lid and use wood screws to re-seal the  punched holes) I let the paint "gas off" for about an hour.  This thickens the paint and gives me a better one coat finish.

Just an opinion.  I sold the stuff for ten years........there is nothing better.

mike
« Last Edit: Monday,December 02, 2013, 04:20:16 AM by cal44 »
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline exarkun1178

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,December 01, 2013, 01:12:47 PM »
boy, its been a long tme, now that i think about it.. but  15 years ago i had a 1989 irocz.   i had some rust damage with holes through the floor pan.  i sanded the area and applied por 15.  very happy with the results and what it did to stop the corrosion. 

Since, anytime i clean metal on a project, i apply the stuff.  when i was fishing, i used the stuff everywhere!

Offline Serge

• http://sleurs-motorsport.com
    • Sleurs Motorsport
« Reply #3 on: Sunday,December 01, 2013, 02:19:05 PM »

There are a couple of spots that need close inspection. I'm working on an S1 chassis, but they are quite similar. There will be someone who has a better idea of problem areas specific to an S2.

- strengthening plates for the engine mounts: Rust starts between the two plates that are spot welded together.
- the same for the strengthening plates in the rear Y-section.
- At the bottom of the T-section where the T joins the backbone, there is a tendency for cracks to start here on S2s.

You can see how I tackled the rust spots on my chassis right here:

http://www.youtube.com/sleursmotorsport

I'm rendering the video about the rest of the backbone as we speak.

Kind regards,

Serge

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Sunday,December 01, 2013, 11:46:05 PM »
Hi Rob,

Serge's videos are much easier to digest than just reading about it,  but just for completeness this is a link to my old website from when I did my chassis (very 90s style)

http://www.martley.plus.com/europa7.html

I'd seriously consider the tubing running in the center tunnel to the radiator & heater. Usually they will be fine but if you are going to have to change them in your ownership, trust me, now is the time !

The brake pipes are also easier to renew on a bare chassis but I can't think of much else off hand.

Brian