Author Topic: Best way to turn over TC engine  (Read 251 times)

Offline cazman

Best way to turn over TC engine
« on: Thursday,March 03, 2022, 08:08:32 AM »
I need to rotate my engine a couple times to put in a crank scraper. I heard something about not rotating backwards and I was wondering if I should find the crank bolt and use that.

Does anyone have any advice on turning the TC engine over when it is still in the car, without the starter.
1973 Europa TCS

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Best way to turn over TC engine
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,March 03, 2022, 08:31:47 AM »
Hi,
I would agree that a ratchet socket wrench on the crank bolt is normally the way I'd do it as well, but access is much harder than the same engine in for example the Elan. If you have a lift, garage pit or it's already on axle stands with good access from underneath then yep, that's simple & reliable.

What I do to set the flywheel for static timing is  to jack up the back end, put it in gear and rotate a wheel. Apart from the extra time to set it all up, actually rotating the engine accurately is quite easy with that method.

Brian

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #2 on: Thursday,March 03, 2022, 10:04:55 AM »
With the two rear wheels resting on small garage ramps, you can get underneath and rotate the nut on the crank pulley very accurately.

Never go under the car if it is just on a jack. You need axle stands under the chassis, or ramps under the wheels.

Offline cazman

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,March 03, 2022, 11:12:52 AM »
Hi,
I would agree that a ratchet socket wrench on the crank bolt is normally the way I'd do it as well, but access is much harder than the same engine in for example the Elan. If you have a lift, garage pit or it's already on axle stands with good access from underneath then yep, that's simple & reliable.

What I do to set the flywheel for static timing is  to jack up the back end, put it in gear and rotate a wheel. Apart from the extra time to set it all up, actually rotating the engine accurately is quite easy with that method.

Brian
I would have never thought about the wheel method!
1973 Europa TCS

Offline Fotog

• 72 Twin Cam
« Reply #4 on: Thursday,March 03, 2022, 07:05:01 PM »
You should do it in fourth gear and only jack up one rear wheel.  Then again, it's not hard to put a wrench on the crank on the front of the engine, once the car is in the air.  Easier than I expected to crawl under there.

Vince