Author Topic: Converting to LED's  (Read 603 times)

Offline Footer

Converting to LED's
« on: Saturday,September 18, 2021, 08:24:53 AM »
After reading BDA's post about converting his Gauge bulbs to LED's I have been trying to locate a supplier.  In his thread,
http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=891.msg6614#msg6614
he lists Moss Motors as a vendor for his gauge lights and provides model numbers.  In the before and after pictures of his dash, the gauge lighting appears to be blue, which I'd like to duplicate.  The Moss Motor reference doesn't provide that bulb in colors, only white.  Perhaps the blue ones are no longer available.
I'm wondering if the bulbs are actually blue or just appear to be in the picture. 
Separately, my bulbs have a T10 base and LED replacements in colors for that base are few and far between.  I found one EBAY listing but they couldn't provide any information about brightness or if they are dimmable.
Any update on this is appreciated.

Offline jbcollier

Re: Converting to LED's
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,September 18, 2021, 09:50:08 AM »
The bulbs aren't blue but the light they emit is very bluish.  Cameras tend to record this light as even bluer than it actually is.

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,September 18, 2021, 09:58:59 AM »
JB is correct. They appear to be more bluish in the picture than in real life. They are what you would call "cool white."

I wrote that up a while ago and I suspect that the instrument lights are now available at superbrightleds.com. It's at least worth checking to combine all your purchases in one box.

Offline Clifton

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,September 18, 2021, 10:55:05 AM »
I bought some Ebay ones that are white but have the blueish look to them as opposed the white incandescent bulbs.

I have a pic in this thread of the bulb and gauges light up. 

http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=1035.msg8838#msg8838

Offline Footer

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,September 18, 2021, 01:05:21 PM »
Thanks guys!  This is the kind of info I was looking for.

Offline Kendo

« Reply #5 on: Monday,September 20, 2021, 04:29:57 PM »
For what it's worth, I got a full set of replacement bulbs (minus the headlights) from https://www.superbrightleds.com/

Offline Footer

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,September 21, 2021, 07:13:04 AM »
Thanks Kendo,  do you happen to remember which bulb you used for the gauges and whether they were dimmable or not?  My 73 TCS uses screw in bulbs but I don't know the bulb spech for other models.
I am awaiting delivery of some blue, screw in bulbs from eBay.  They couldn't or wouldn't provide wattage and dim ability info.  Suggested I try them and if unsatisfied return for a refund,  there are lots of screw in LED's but I only found one source for colors.

Offline Footer

« Reply #7 on: Friday,September 24, 2021, 10:58:49 AM »
Got  colored bulbs today, installed them and was disappointed.  They will go back and I'll order clear bulbs from super bright.

Offline BDA

« Reply #8 on: Friday,September 24, 2021, 11:04:16 AM »
Did you order colored LEDs from Superbright? I never tried white LEDs behind a red lens but I read  that the result is a pink light.

Offline Footer

« Reply #9 on: Saturday,September 25, 2021, 05:30:01 PM »
To BDA, no I couldn't find T10(screw in) bulbs in colors at Superbright.  I found some on EBay but questioned the brightness.  Got blue bulbs cause I thought they would look good for the gauges.  Took delivery on Thursday, installed them Friday and returned them today, Saturday.  Then ordered T10's from Moss Motors, the same gauge bulbs you got.
You're asking about a white light behind a red lense so I think that would be in the tail/turn/backup lense.  I got LED's from a local auto parts store but don't remember the specifics, just a clear, festoone style mount.
As a side note, I was amazed at the difference in price for the same bulb but with a positive ground. If I remember correctly they were $4.99 and $9.99.  Glad we've got negative ground specs.

Offline BDA

« Reply #10 on: Saturday,September 25, 2021, 06:05:35 PM »
Sorry, I got confused about which use you were referring to. I suspect you’ll be happy with Moss’s LEDs for gauges - at least as far as reading the gauge is concerned. My only complaint is that I can’t fully insert the LED into my mechanical oil pressure gauge - because it would interfere with the movement of the needle - and that limits the bulb’s effectiveness, but it is still better than the original incandescent bulb.

I think my turn/brake/backup/marker LEDs are good. They seem to be at least as bright as the original incandescent bulbs but then I’m not the one who sees them in real life. On the other hand, I’ve never had any indication from people following me that there is a problem with them.

Offline Kendo

« Reply #11 on: Monday,September 27, 2021, 05:02:33 PM »
These are my notes from 2018. Formatting is a bit wonky on this forum. And yes, it's suggested to get colored LEDs for the colored indicators:
KAL 2018 update
www.Superbrightleds.com 
===================   Original 2016      2018
Brake light (2):      1157-R24-WV(NLA)   1157-R27-T
Rear Turn signal (2):   1156-A24-WV(NLA)   1156-A27-T
Front Turn signal (2):   1157-A24-WV(NLA)   1157-A27-T
Backup lights (2):   4410-W1-CB(Obs)   4410-CW8-CB   (CAN bus?!)

Side markers:
Rear (2):      BA9S-R4-90-12VAC   BA9S-RHP5
Front (2):      BA9S-A4-90-12VAC   BA9S-AHP5

Festoon (3):      3610-NW4 (small)    3710-CWHP3-V2
(for interior light and two license plate lights)

License plate assy(2):   LPC-C-NW2       (Entire assembly, smaller than TCS part)

Indicators: (TCSr has same number and colors of first 3, different uses)
High beam (1):      BA7S-B (for S2)      BA7S-B
Turn signals (2):      BA7S-G (for S2)      BA7S-G
Oil/ignition (2):      BA7S-R (for S2)      BA7S-R
Choke/heater (2):            BA7S-W (for TCS, Commencing at 72082684R)

Flasher (2):      --         CF13GL-02

Moss Motors
===========
Instruments (6):      170-972      170-971  (short. Moss says both fit Triumph)

Summit Racing
=============
Flashers (2):      UPD-90652      (Still available)

Original Bulb Sizes:
1156/382/BA15S   21/5W   1-15/16 x 15/16
1157/380/BAY15D   26/8W   1-15/16 x 15/16
239 Interior Festoon   5W   11 mm x 38 mm
272 Backup Festoon   18W   14 mm x 44 mm
987 (instruments)   2.2W   11 mm x 23 mm
BA7S         2W   6.4 mm x 20.7 mm
989/BA9S      5W   9 mm x 13.5 mm

Offline BDA

« Reply #12 on: Monday,September 27, 2021, 08:03:49 PM »
That looks this was generate by a list I made several years ago. I would update some things.

The first thing is that that list pertains to the TCS. I think the TC would be the same except for the "idiot lights." I can't help you with the S1 or S2.

I'm not sure I would bother with LEDs for the "idiot lights." For one thing, on my TCS, they had two different bases! That's not a huge problem but it's probably a good idea to check which base(s) you have if you want to change them. Also, my turn signal idiot lights don't flash the same way. Rather than turning completely off and turning on when they flash, they look more like they turn on and then dim when they flash. Again, it's not a huge thing and it could actually be a function of the flasher I'm using but I think if I were to do it again, I wouldn't bother with the idiot lights. I would definitely do the gauge lights! One tip there is to make sure that the bulb doesn't impede the movement of the needle. For some reason, only on my oil pressure gauge, pushing the light all the way into the gauge obstructs the needle so I have to pull it out a little which makes the light a little dimmer - but it's still brighter than the original incandescent bulbs!

Also, my turn signals don't always cancel so it really helps to have a flasher that makes a noise. I found these on Amazon (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KG4NMSN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). They beep when they flash (most are silent). I would prefer that they click but I don't think any of them do that. There are some flashers that allow you to adjust the frequency of the flash and that may be something that is important to you.

Lastly, you may want to consider resisters at your turn signals. This would allow you to keep the standard flashers with the normal clicking sound and if you keep your incandescent idiot lights, they will act as you expect them to. I thought using resisters was somehow inelegant so I didn't try that but I can now see it could be a good option.